deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gardening 2024
Thought we could talk about gardening of all forms here.
Some of you know, I do a big garden every year.  I can everything.  I love it all.

So, I am trying a few new things this year and have already found one major problem.  I have most all my seed stuff in, and some of it, like the peas, are already sprouting.
My carrots, I make the rows mounded.  Had the seeds in.  Then 2 of my "newer" chickens, decided those mounds looked like fun, and completely destroyed half of both rows.  I have a 3 foot fence up, and absolutely NONE of my older chickens have ever done this.  I don't know if Isa browns are just jerks, or its just these ladies.
So, I ordered a bunch of cheap pinwheels to tie to the fence.  That is tonight's job, I'm hoping it scares them.

Most all of my seeds started in the house are nice sized plants, ready to go in the garden.
Pumpkins, cukes, watermelon, tomatoes.
I am doing more leafy items like spinich, lettuce and kale this year.  
The last few years, I have been researching plant medicine as well, and have expanded my herb garden, and will need a row in the big garden as well.

Love it or hate it, I am also growing cannabis again.  Started 6 from feminized seeds ordered online.  4 Sativa and 2 Indica.  All are ready for the ground but 1 that I am nursing along.  Love making my own tincture.

One thing I've learned over the years, is that when canning, it is easier to grow a whole lot one year, than growing a little of everything every year.  Like my corn.  I won't be growing it this year.  Don't need to.   Grew 1/3 of the garden with it last year, and got 60 pints.  2 years worth for us.  
Plus it is good for the ground, to change up what your planting in it and where.

With the cost of everything, including food being so high, thought it might be a good idea to share what we know, and help anyone who would like to grow, but may not know how.
You don't need a lot of land.  Containers work great on a deck or sunny window.  And my goodness!  The difference in the taste of a homegrown tomato, compared to store bought?  Amazing.

So, gardeners, of whatever plants, share your knowledge.  What are you growing this year?  New to it?  Ask and see if we can help!
The earth provides everything we need.
We thought we could do better.
We were wrong.
Hi, sounds like a nice garden.

Plenty planted and still to plant here. SW France.

I'm trying Corn this year and have just dug a new bed for it. Sprouted in the greenhouse until it was big enough not to be nibbled by the birds. I love good corn on the cob rolled in butter.

Also trying "Roma" tomatoes so I can make some Italian sauces in jars for Bolognaise. My favorite.

Regarding your carrots, have you considered a long cover made of fine chicken wire. They would still be easy to water but not open to being eaten by the chooks.

I also have Spinach, Horseradish, Brocolli, Dwarf Beans, Onions, Garlic, Potatoes in plastic sacks, Leeks, Strawberries, Radishes, Melons, Blackberries, Black and White Currants, Figs, Hazelnuts, Walnuts, Two sorts of Plums, Peaches, Nectarines, Pears, Cherries, Quince, Chillies of various sorts, Sweet Peppers, Kalabash (gourds) and Golden Virginia Tobacco en-masse that will be planted when the tiny weeny seedlings are big enough.

Takes quite a bit of watering but a good organised plan and rain recovery system into 1000 litre cubes plus a Well with a hand pump helps.

I also planted some Paulonia Tomosata saplings (Chinese Empress/Foxglove Tree). Fastest growing trees in the world apparently. lol

Woodchips from loads of shredding make good weed resistence and raised beds help keep the slugs and snails down and saves my back a little strain.

I'll also be sprouting Mother nature's greatest herb very soon. Lots.

I still have plenty of room left in a quite large garden and have loads of Oak, Cherry and Apple saplings spread around and plenty of young Plum trees ready for transplanting from under a massive Plum tree that can give tons of fruit. Things keep popping up everywhere and I'd rather let nature take it's course and enjoy the feeling of seeing things evolve without too much thought.

I'm also taking lots of Lavander cuttings this year to fill all the corners around the place and help out the Bees a little. Love the smell too.

I am still waiting for the damn Sweet Potatoes to show sprouts (chit) though and will have to persevere more in future if I'm going to have them growing here. Hmmm?

The garden takes a lot of work but I really do enjoy it and it keeps me pretty fit to boot. I never imagined I'd be doing this but it has turned out very rewarding, especially when I can walk round the place after dinner and have a "Pudding Wander" eating fruit for dessert.

Beer

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
I tried corn once years ago... the crows loved it... and no amount of tassels and pinwheels made any difference to them!

I had also discovered that cherry tomatoes are like weeds... they keep coming back.

But alas, I am nowhere near your skill-levels.  Although I do love gardening... there's too much I don't know yet.

Great thread idea!  Thumbup Thumbup
(05-17-2024, 06:50 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I tried corn once years ago... the crows loved it... and no amount of tassels and pinwheels made any difference to them!

Here in France the farmers use crop scaring cannons fuelled by propane designed to make a loud bang at intervals. They are advised to use them by the agriculture authorities to maximise yields.

I had one near my old house put there by the Xenophobes. 120+ db every 10 minutes isn't fun from dusk till dawn.

Not something I recommend you use but a tunnel of chicken wire will work until the plants are big enough to survive without being pecked.

I sometimes struggle with snails munching the new plants but raised beds seem to help. Right now, the birds are too interested in the cherries galore and are stripping the trees meaning that plenty fall to the ground and I don't have to climb a ladder to pick them..lol

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
(05-17-2024, 05:20 PM)Nerb Wrote: Hi, sounds like a nice garden.

Plenty planted and still to plant here. SW France.

I'm trying Corn this year and have just dug a new bed for it. Sprouted in the greenhouse until it was big enough not to be nibbled by the birds. I love good corn on the cob rolled in butter.

Also trying "Roma" tomatoes so I can make some Italian sauces in jars for Bolognaise. My favorite.

Regarding your carrots, have you considered a long cover made of fine chicken wire. They would still be easy to water but not open to being eaten by the chooks.

I also have Spinach, Horseradish, Brocolli, Dwarf Beans, Onions, Garlic, Potatoes in plastic sacks, Leeks, Strawberries, Radishes, Melons, Blackberries, Black and White Currants, Figs, Hazelnuts, Walnuts, Two sorts of Plums, Peaches, Nectarines, Pears, Cherries, Quince, Chillies of various sorts, Sweet Peppers, Kalabash (gourds) and Golden Virginia Tobacco en-masse that will be planted when the tiny weeny seedlings are big enough.

Takes quite a bit of watering but a good organised plan and rain recovery system into 1000 litre cubes plus a Well with a hand pump helps.

I also planted some Paulonia Tomosata saplings (Chinese Empress/Foxglove Tree). Fastest growing trees in the world apparently. lol

Woodchips from loads of shredding make good weed resistence and raised beds help keep the slugs and snails down and saves my back a little strain.

I'll also be sprouting Mother nature's greatest herb very soon. Lots.

I still have plenty of room left in a quite large garden and have loads of Oak, Cherry and Apple saplings spread around and plenty of young Plum trees ready for transplanting from under a massive Plum tree that can give tons of fruit. Things keep popping up everywhere and I'd rather let nature take it's course and enjoy the feeling of seeing things evolve without too much thought.

I'm also taking lots of Lavander cuttings this year to fill all the corners around the place and help out the Bees a little. Love the smell too.

I am still waiting for the damn Sweet Potatoes to show sprouts (chit) though and will have to persevere more in future if I'm going to have them growing here. Hmmm?

The garden takes a lot of work but I really do enjoy it and it keeps me pretty fit to boot. I never imagined I'd be doing this but it has turned out very rewarding, especially when I can walk round the place after dinner and have a "Pudding Wander" eating fruit for dessert.

Beer

My garden is a bit of a jungle as my bad knee means I can't do much.

Got a foxglove tree and yes it grew fast. You can Pollard them and you get even bigger leaves. It flowers before the leaves come out.

Also have a gingko tree which is getting pretty big.

Indian bean tree and lots of exotic stuff.
Glad to see some interest!
@ Nerb - The chickenwire is a good idea!  So far, the pinwheels seems to be working, no chicken in the garden all weekend.  ( I have horseradish too, but it is up by the house.  Several years old.  I didn't know when I planted it, how much it would spread!

Couldn't do much Saturday, as we had a 3 pm wedding.
So I spent all day yesterday in the garden, and got all the plants in.  Also managed some sunburn on the back.  Had lotion on but also had the sprinkle hitting me.  It was over 80 F yesterday!

Re-mounded the carrot rows and got those all in.  Felt something was missing all day, then realized I have no broccoli or cauliflower.  Usually do a couple of each.

(05-17-2024, 06:50 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I tried corn once years ago... the crows loved it... and no amount of tassels and pinwheels made any difference to them!

I had also discovered that cherry tomatoes are like weeds... they keep coming back.

But alas, I am nowhere near your skill-levels.  Although I do love gardening... there's too much I don't know yet.

Great thread idea!  Thumbup Thumbup

I haven't really ever had a problem with crows.  Not sure why.  See them everywhere.   And yes, Cherry tomatoes are crazy.  I don't grow them anymore for that reason.  Another bad one, surprisingly is summer squash!!!  You leave one on the plant, and by spring, they are everywhere!

(05-18-2024, 10:47 AM)Oldcarpy2 Wrote: My garden is a bit of a jungle as my bad knee means I can't do much.

Got a foxglove tree and yes it grew fast. You can Pollard them and you get even bigger leaves. It flowers before the leaves come out.

Also have a gingko tree which is getting pretty big.

Indian bean tree and lots of exotic stuff.
I would love a ginko tree.  Tried it once.  Planted it on the property line, and made a big production of telling the neighbor and the hubby where it was while they were mowing.  They stopped to listen to me rant.  As I am ranting, our boxer puppy walked right up, bit the tree in half, and tore it out of the ground.
Pretty sure I was more mad at the 2 grown men laughing so hard they had tears running down their faces, than the puppy.  
Just haven't tried to grow another. 
Do you harvest the leaves for tea?
We were wrong.
(05-20-2024, 07:18 AM)Chiefsmom Wrote: I have horseradish too, but it is up by the house.  Several years old.  I didn't know when I planted it, how much it would spread!

I planted some last year for the first time but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was until I harvested it. I grated the roots and added a little mayonaise and ate it with any beef I cooked. Spicy!

Had a huge garden in the Philippines. Was living mostly off it.

lots of chickens.

eggplant, cucumbers, beans, squash, okra, and lots of local veggies. 

missing it back here in the states. Food is horrible here.
(05-20-2024, 07:18 AM)Chiefsmom Wrote: Glad to see some interest!
@ Nerb - The chickenwire is a good idea!  So far, the pinwheels seems to be working, no chicken in the garden all weekend.  ( I have horseradish too, but it is up by the house.  Several years old.  I didn't know when I planted it, how much it would spread!

Couldn't do much Saturday, as we had a 3 pm wedding.
So I spent all day yesterday in the garden, and got all the plants in.  Also managed some sunburn on the back.  Had lotion on but also had the sprinkle hitting me.  It was over 80 F yesterday!

Re-mounded the carrot rows and got those all in.  Felt something was missing all day, then realized I have no broccoli or cauliflower.  Usually do a couple of each.

I haven't really ever had a problem with crows.  Not sure why.  See them everywhere.   And yes, Cherry tomatoes are crazy.  I don't grow them anymore for that reason.  Another bad one, surprisingly is summer squash!!!  You leave one on the plant, and by spring, they are everywhere!

I would love a ginko tree.  Tried it once.  Planted it on the property line, and made a big production of telling the neighbor and the hubby where it was while they were mowing.  They stopped to listen to me rant.  As I am ranting, our boxer puppy walked right up, bit the tree in half, and tore it out of the ground.
Pretty sure I was more mad at the 2 grown men laughing so hard they had tears running down their faces, than the puppy.  
Just haven't tried to grow another. 
Do you harvest the leaves for tea?

I didn't know you could use them for tea. But I only like proper tea.
Well, "knock on wood"  the pinwheels are working so far.  Not a chicken one in the garden.
We've had serious rain storms the last 2 nights, so I haven't had to water.  I was a little concerned about the plants, but they survived.
The last of the herbs I ordered finally showed up, including an elderberry bush, so I will be getting those in the ground this weekend.

Now it's "Hurry up and grow"!!  LOL

@Oldcarpy2:  Of course you have to be careful if you are on any medications and watch for adverse reactions, like with anything else.  But I would dry some leaves, and add them to my regular tea mixes.
I may have to give growing one another shot.  But with a fence this time. Lol

(05-20-2024, 10:03 AM)pianopraze Wrote: Had a huge garden in the Philippines. Was living mostly off it.

lots of chickens.

eggplant, cucumbers, beans, squash, okra, and lots of local veggies. 

missing it back here in the states. Food is horrible here.

Do you have room for a small garden, or some pots?   Maybe just a cucumber plant and a tomato?

We were wrong.