deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Donald Trump found guilty on all counts in ‘hush money’ trial
We have to endeavor to take the emotions and partisanship OUT of the equation. It's not easy at all but for me Ive been trying to go back to when I was essentially apolitical. LOL Probably till around Hiliary's run LOL, I don't know if anybody recalls but I know I was happy to have Obama instead of HRC, still am, LOL... perspective.

The worst thing about yesterday is it set the precedent, hell in some circles we were told Trump's impeachment was semi-payback for Clinton's...you can extrapolate where I am going...

All I know is in the 70s both sides didn't want to prosecute Nixon and they worked towards letting the country heal. The two parties aren't even coming close to understanding you CAN NOT leave a country in constant strife and division.

Our politics and governmental proceedings were NOT supposed to be in the limelight and daily news, it was supposed to operate in the background and as an enhancement to our lives, not an annoyance or a hindrance. 

But my general feeling is we are being run militarily and/or departmental, which is probably not a bad thing. 

We need a reset, a restart, a reimaging of our election cycle where we get maximum voter participation because we DON"T have complete apathy about the extremely flawed candidates the two parties offer.
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(05-31-2024, 03:07 PM)putnam6 Wrote: We have to endeavor to take the emotions and partisanship OUT of the equation. It's not easy at all but for me Ive been trying to go back to when I was essentially apolitical. LOL Probably till around Hiliary's run LOL, I don't know if anybody recalls but I know I was happy to have Obama instead of HRC, still am, LOL... perspective.

The worst thing about yesterday is it set the precedent, hell in some circles we were told Trump's impeachment was semi-payback for Clinton's...you can extrapolate where I am going...

All I know is in the 70s both sides didn't want to prosecute Nixon and they worked towards letting the country heal. The two parties aren't even coming close to understanding you CAN NOT leave a country in constant strife and division.

We need a reset, a restart, a reimaging of our election cycle where we get maximum voter participation because we DON"T have complete apathy about the extremely flawed candidates the two parties offer.

But I came to the conclusion (I'll save you the verbosity) that the legal system has been changed by it's constituents.  Of course, this cannot last for these people are all mortal.  Our answer should bear out in oversight which we cannot allow the establishment to "man with political appointees" as we have done for decades.  I'm not sure how that could work unless our representatives stop obeying "the unaccountable party" and start obeying the actual citizens at large.  The conduct of the media has made that more difficult... with the whole "true journalism is old-fashioned" thing.

The fix starts by excluding their performance-driven narrative from the actual decision-making.  I don't think the thespian core in politics and the producers in media want that... ever.
(05-31-2024, 03:18 PM)Maxmars Wrote: the legal system has been changed by it's constituents.  Of course, this cannot last for these people are all mortal.  Our answer should bear out in oversight which we cannot allow the establishment to "man with political appointees" as we have done for decades.  I'm not sure how that could work unless our representatives stop obeying "the unaccountable party" and start obeying the actual citizens at large.  The conduct of the media has made that more difficult... with the whole "true journalism is old-fashioned" thing.

The fix starts by excluding their performance-driven narrative from the actual decision-making.  I don't think the thespian core in politics and the producers in media want that... ever.

City, County, and State jurisdictions are always going to have wider extremes, thus even though this verdict seems extrajudicial our systems of appeals should clarify or rectify the case in due course. 

WE can not jump off the horse mid-stream, we have to let the process play out. 

which reminds me of the story from the 50s I read in The Straight Dope, true or not it highlights our democracy can sometimes be bent toward the will of the less informed.

https://boards.straightdope.com/t/the-sl...t/147418/2
Quote:
Quote:Sometimes arcane and high-falutin’ words can be used as weapons. No one knew this better than former Senator Claude Pepper of Florida. In 1950, Pepper, a three-term incumbent, ran for re-election and faced off against Congressman George Smathers in the Democratic primary. Smathers launched an infamous smear campaign against Pepper that today sounds more like a fake political ad from Saturday Night Live.
Smathers outed Pepper as “a known extrovert,” his sister as a “thespian,” and his brother as a “practicing homo sapien.” He accused Pepper of practicing “nepotism” with his sister-in-law and of “matriculating” with young women in college. Worst of all, he “practiced celibacy” before marriage.
Naturally, voters were horrified, and Pepper lost by over 67,000 votes. (To be fair, Smathers denied the story until the end of his Senate career in 1971, perhaps fearing that his own homo sapien past would come back to haunt him.)
Interview with Claude Pepper. He does not mention it.
http://www.history.ufl.edu/oral/FP30.html 2
Quote:He recalls that in the election of 1950, six senior senators were defeated, including himself, over the liberal issues of national health insurance, civil rights, liberal attitudes favoring labor, minimum wage, and adequate hospital and medical care.
An analysis of the election, which does not mention it.
http://www.folioweekly.com/archives/old%...page7.html

Quote:Sometimes arcane and high-falutin’ words can be used as weapons. No one knew this better than former Senator Claude Pepper of Florida. In 1950, Pepper, a three-term incumbent, ran for re-election and faced off against Congressman George Smathers in the Democratic primary. Smathers launched an infamous smear campaign against Pepper that today sounds more like a fake political ad from Saturday Night Live.
Smathers outed Pepper as “a known extrovert,” his sister as a “thespian,” and his brother as a “practicing homo sapien.” He accused Pepper of practicing “nepotism” with his sister-in-law and of “matriculating” with young women in college. Worst of all, he “practiced celibacy” before marriage.
Naturally, voters were horrified, and Pepper lost by over 67,000 votes. (To be fair, Smathers denied the story until the end of his Senate career in 1971, perhaps fearing that his own homo sapien past would come back to haunt him.)
Interview with Claude Pepper. He does not mention it.
http://www.history.ufl.edu/oral/FP30.html 2
Quote:He recalls that in the election of 1950, six senior senators were defeated, including himself, over the liberal issues of national health insurance, civil rights, liberal attitudes favoring labor, minimum wage, and adequate hospital and medical care.

Quote:There were overtones of McCarthyism in Smathers’ campaign. A booklet emphasizing Pepper’s past associations with the far-left, including known communist organizations and party members, was circulated in the late days of the campaign. It emphasized the “Red Pepper” theme, a Pepper sobriquet gleaned from an earlier article in the Saturday Evening Post. By 1950, most Americans recognized the threat posed by the Soviet Union, and Pepper’s actions seemingly on its behalf was a source of dismay to many, and treasonous to others. That, coupled to the strong opposition of the business community, unions, and the medical profession gave Smathers the victory. Pepper was defeated by more than 60,000 votes.
So, you tell me. Smathers denies it, Pepper himself and a fairly serious analysis of the election don’t mention it. That’s about as far as I got.
I don’t think Florida voters were that ignorant in 1950, so if I had to guess, I’d guess that it’s just a “humorous rustics” story repeated by columnists.

His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(05-31-2024, 02:16 PM)BeyondKnowledge Wrote: You are assuming the convention was proper and legal. We will not know that until the appeal is over.

I haven't made any assumptions.
Look at the opening page.

Coming back to what you said earlier.
The conversation can be civil in comparison to other sites, I don't think it's that difficult.

(05-31-2024, 02:40 PM)FlyersFan Wrote: You aren't American.
What do you care ??

Regardless of who I am and where I come from, I can still comment and have an opinion. Using the same argument you (if you are American) cannot comment on Russian issues and politics or the war in the middle East as you are neither Russian or Israeli/Arab.
(05-31-2024, 02:54 PM)DBCowboy Wrote: A sham trial, a kangaroo court, election interference by the Biden administration.

Duh

Welcome to Biden's America and the most corrupt FBI, DOJ, in my life time..... I should add ATF too !

That probably made some government list !!

No one rules if no one obeys

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
(05-31-2024, 05:06 PM)727Sky Wrote: Welcome to Biden's America and the most corrupt FBI, DOJ, in my life time..... I should add ATF too !

Which, if we're being honest, is a lot like Obama's America but taken up a notch.  It was during that administration that division between regular  Americans became vigilant.
(05-31-2024, 02:40 PM)FlyersFan Wrote: You aren't American.
What do you care ??

I'm not either, but unfortunately the shitshow in the States effects the shitshow here, so...

Beer
(05-31-2024, 02:18 PM)MykeNukem Wrote: I have nothing to say about the trial here, but:

Who is "he"?

” The evidence proved Trump “went to illegal lengths to lie repeatedly in order to protect himself and his campaign”, he added.

Please include a link to your source.

-------

I also agree with the above poster, this cannot be discussed in "generalities" and "partisan free".

We already know that from the "other site"

Just my opinion.

Beer

So far, everyone in this thread is practicing civility though. That's honestly about as much as can be expected, and really my only goal. I don't expect us all to agree.
[Image: marx.png]
(05-31-2024, 07:35 PM)TSK Wrote: So far, everyone in this thread is practicing civility though. That's honestly about as much as can be expected, and really my only goal. I don't expect us all to agree.

Same.

Neither do I.

In fact, I think we can expound on that...let's open a politics forum and see how long that lasts?

hehe...

love ya bro 

Beer Wink
Make it work.  The larger issue is far too important to allow silence to win out.

When such a thing is possible, is it not clear that it must be discussed?

Most of us seem to be on the point of not getting buried in the "sides" issue.  Screw them.  Screw them all.  This isn't about sides, it's about something else.

A freindly voice once said to me... "Focus on the "stated reasons" "they" do what they do... that's where the real problem is. If there is a lie, that's where the lie has to be."

Disregard the trappings... it is all in one way or another a production... Is it "outrageous" According to some, yes.  Is it "just desserts?" According to some, yes. 

The underlying questions (in my opinion) are about just how "lost" is the justice system... can it truly be politically weaponized while the citizens just stand apart and "watch?" Is the media combine not directly complicit of at least naked exxploitation?  Is the association of all the judges and lawyers not cognizant of the problem, where are our true officers of the court?  What exactly does "due process" mean anymore?  There's so much to be ashamed of here, that we ourselves, the spectators must consider some of that is actually on us.

Furthermore, we can't afford to waste time decrying the hateful players in this script... we need to address it's authors.  And don't kid yourselves... it's not gonna be very easy figuring who that actually is.

There's a conspiratorial angle for anyone who as waiting on it!