deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Of all the.... really? Well... I need a drink.
(06-13-2024, 02:50 PM)KKLoco Wrote: I’ll stick with refreshing ones as it’s summertime.

Espresso Martini (my favorite)
Mint Julep (quick buzz)
Mojito
Paloma
Mai Tai

I don't drink like used to, LOL I want to but the morning afters are too brutal

I concur a Martini can be done a plethora of ways, us Southerners love a good mint julep too. 

Mojitos are great too never a Palorna, but yes a Mai Tai too

I like a really well-blended Long Island ice tea. In Vegas early one morning got a bartender to make me a LIIT with some top shelve liquors and damn it was so good, after 3 of them I was feeling rather lit.

Can't forget a good Margarita either so many varieties, Ive found a lime watermelon cranberry frozen margarita to be the bomb.

We used to rent a commercial frozen margarita machine, and after hours I'd try all kinds of concoctions a frozen mojito tastes like an adult dessert. 

Not to mention a good vodka goes with anything, took me forever to clean the machine but a frozen White Russian with Kaluala absolutely rocks
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't shun alcohol.  I just don't get all jazzed up about it, and I don't lock my mind on getting a buzz.   So when I drink, it's about enjoying the drink.

Thanks for all the different suggestions...
Cider
Apple cider and similar drinks.

Had to quit drinking, alcohol makes me an ass, beer makes me sick, anything too sweet causes vomit/hangovers, wine was a horrible experiment...

All I can drink now is cider and semi-sweet similar drinks the same companies make.

In Canada, Okanagan or growers
(06-10-2024, 01:16 AM)Maxmars Wrote: I'm not what you might call "a drinker."

For the past two decades, I've have consumed about 5 or 6 ounces of alcohol a year (not counting about 2 beers, maybe three... and the odd Egg Nog.)

But when you have one of those days...  Even not being a drinker... I need a drink.

Now I don't really drink, as I've said... I'm never looking to get drunk, and I don't really care for the hazy buzz after the first 15 minutes...  When I think about a drink, I think more of the experience of actually drinking it... I wanted it to taste good.  I don't want fire washing down my gullet, I don't relish the subtle variables of hops, nor am I OK with something that I can smell in my own sweat (or on my own breath 5 hours later.)

I suppose I should be embarrassed to admit I like sweet drinks like a classic strawberry daquiri (never whip cream please.)  But I have also enjoyed brandies, wines like Blue Nun, Fassi Bataglia, and the like, rum and Coke, and even a kind-hearted sipping tequila has peaked my enjoyment.  If I do go out "for a drink" most of that is off the table... what should I ask for? 

Gimme suggestions people... gimme you're suggestions, for a non-connoisseur...

As you get older, the way you react to alcohol changes... so there's that, too.  But I also like sweeter drinks, and have a few go-tos.

I like a good pear cider, myself.  And it's fun to go to a bar or microbrewery that has tastings and ask for a "flight" (set of samples) of their products.  Many bars have ciders (though not all), so that's one option you could look into.

I like Blue Moon beer (particularly with a slice of orange) and many "Weissbiers" (wheat beer https://vinepair.com/beer-101/weissbier-...yle-guide/)
(06-15-2024, 11:21 AM)Maxmars Wrote: Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't shun alcohol.  I just don't get all jazzed up about it, and I don't lock my mind on getting a buzz.   So when I drink, it's about enjoying the drink.

Thanks for all the different suggestions...

Okay, this one isn’t for summertime. However, it is one of my favorites. Spawned from the oldest restaurant in Portland Oregon named ‘Hubers’. Established in 1879. I’m surprised the restaurant is still there, as it’s in the middle of downtown Portland — which is an absolute boarded up shithole now, thanks to their politics. 

If you find yourself there, with the towering 150 year old mahogany bar above your head, make sure and order yourself some deep fried artichoke hearts for an appetizer. They are the BOMB!

I present to you: The Spanish Coffee!

[Video: http://-jq-Y6bUo0U]

[Video: http://AzrUjUS3NAw&t=27s]

ETA: how the hell do I post a YouTube video? I thought I did it correctly.
(06-15-2024, 12:57 PM)85303 Wrote: Cider
Apple cider and similar drinks.

Had to quit drinking, alcohol makes me an ass, beer makes me sick, anything too sweet causes vomit/hangovers, wine was a horrible experiment...

All I can drink now is cider and semi-sweet similar drinks the same companies make.

In Canada, Okanagan or growers

Reminds me of my teenage years. Hornsby’s Apple Cider was the bomb! I loved the square bottom eclectic bottle. They changed it over a decade ago - bastards!
Equally not a big drinker. No particular reason altho with family being a bit of a drive I use DUI checkpoints to keep people from foisting drinks on me. However a good single malt scotch is a thing of beauty.
But I digress.

Cream Tequila is amazing! 
Watermelon tequila thingy is great, if you have time to blend some real watermelon I make them light on the mescal. Tequila has been having supply/counterfit issues an I find both interchangeable anyways.
My 2 go-to's are Honey Mead, or Celtic Honey (seasonal & imported from Ireland)
and the very basic Ryan's Irish cream whiskey on ice. All are sipping drinks suitable in small
quanities to put paid to a crappy day.
I tended bar at a really popular club in college eons ago.  Our specialty drink was Long Island Iced Teas, and I can make a mean one.  I tend to stay away from them now because those things can be straight-up dangerous (in a variety of ways).  (1 Vodka, 1 Rum, 1 Tequila, 1/4 Triple Sec, 1/2 Gin, Coke, Sour and Sprite, all made in a 32oz cup...2 drink limit, 1 drink limit after 8pm). 

Now my preferences are more tame.  A nice aged single malt scotch (the peatier the better), or Chardonnay wine (chilled) is nice, and I like a decent Port now and again.

I don't get hangovers anymore, but the best remedy for a hangover is...a single aspirin and an 8oz (or larger) glass of water before bed.  Not two aspirin, just one tablet.  Two aspirin thins out the blood too much.  You will wake up feeling like you had nothing to drink the night before.  The hardest part is, you just have to remember to do it, and only immediately before you go horizontal in the rack.
(06-16-2024, 11:41 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: I tended bar at a really popular club in college eons ago.  Our specialty drink was Long Island Iced Teas, and I can make a mean one.  I tend to stay away from them now because those things can be straight-up dangerous (in a variety of ways).  (1 Vodka, 1 Rum, 1 Tequila, 1/4 Triple Sec, 1/2 Gin, Coke, Sour and Sprite, all made in a 32oz cup...2 drink limit, 1 drink limit after 8pm). 

Now my preferences are more tame.  A nice aged single malt scotch (the peatier the better), or Chardonnay wine (chilled) is nice, and I like a decent Port now and again.

I don't get hangovers anymore, but the best remedy for a hangover is...a single aspirin and an 8oz (or larger) glass of water before bed.  Not two aspirin, just one tablet.  Two aspirin thins out the blood too much.  You will wake up feeling like you had nothing to drink the night before.  The hardest part is, you just have to remember to do it, and only immediately before you go horizontal in the rack.

That's a good cure.

I have also found that taking a non-drowsy antihistamine like loratidine before imbibing definitely helps the next day, but I too try to avoid placing myself in that position at all these days.
(06-15-2024, 10:48 AM)Oldcarpy2 Wrote: How about a G&T with non alcohol Gin?

That would never scratch the "need dam a drink" itch...