deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Of all the.... really? Well... I need a drink.
I'm not what you might call "a drinker."

For the past two decades, I've have consumed about 5 or 6 ounces of alcohol a year (not counting about 2 beers, maybe three... and the odd Egg Nog.)

But when you have one of those days...  Even not being a drinker... I need a drink.

Now I don't really drink, as I've said... I'm never looking to get drunk, and I don't really care for the hazy buzz after the first 15 minutes...  When I think about a drink, I think more of the experience of actually drinking it... I wanted it to taste good.  I don't want fire washing down my gullet, I don't relish the subtle variables of hops, nor am I OK with something that I can smell in my own sweat (or on my own breath 5 hours later.)

I suppose I should be embarrassed to admit I like sweet drinks like a classic strawberry daquiri (never whip cream please.)  But I have also enjoyed brandies, wines like Blue Nun, Fassi Bataglia, and the like, rum and Coke, and even a kind-hearted sipping tequila has peaked my enjoyment.  If I do go out "for a drink" most of that is off the table... what should I ask for? 

Gimme suggestions people... gimme you're suggestions, for a non-connoisseur...
(06-10-2024, 01:16 AM)Maxmars Wrote: I'm not what you might call "a drinker."

For the past two decades, I've have consumed about 5 or 6 ounces of alcohol a year (not counting about 2 beers, maybe three... and the odd Egg Nog.)

But when you have one of those days...  Even not being a drinker... I need a drink.

Now I don't really drink, as I've said... I'm never looking to get drunk, and I don't really care for the hazy buzz after the first 15 minutes...  When I think about a drink, I think more of the experience of actually drinking it... I wanted it to taste good.  I don't want fire washing down my gullet, I don't relish the subtle variables of hops, nor am I OK with something that I can smell in my own sweat (or on my own breath 5 hours later.)

I suppose I should be embarrassed to admit I like sweet drinks like a classic strawberry daquiri (never whip cream please.)  But I have also enjoyed brandies, wines like Blue Nun, Fassi Bataglia, and the like, rum and Coke, and even a kind-hearted sipping tequila has peaked my enjoyment.  If I do go out "for a drink" most of that is off the table... what should I ask for? 

Well, if you're just looking for something refreshing and you like the taste of beer, O'douls makes a non-alcoholic pilsner that's decent.

My old standby in my bar days was 1/2 shot sour apple pucker, 1/2 shot vodka, cranberry juice, and tonic. Has a nice flavor, has some carbonation, not too strong, won't leave you with that "I need some water" feeling in your mouth. Plus, if you use decent liquors you won't have any hangover.

How about a Long Island Iced-tea? Made correctly, you won't taste alcohol, but be careful!!!
SnrRog
Toasted Almond
In tune
I haven't been able to drink since 2008.  I had a kidney stone and when ever I tried to drink after that ... my kidney hurt.  And in 2010 I developed Sjogrens so my mouth/windpipe are so dry that any alcohol would burn it.  So no booze for me.

That being said, I used to drink Gin and Tonics with lemon.  Very refreshing.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence

There are varietys in Rosé wines , sweet/very sweet ......i did like the Rosé wine taste back when i did use alcohol .
I don't drink very much anymore either. Sometimes when I go to the Eagles Club to play pool I'll have a couple.

Everyone around here was drinking a lot of those brandy and milk drinks and even I did for a while, but now I think they're nasty and give you a terrible hangover.

For me lately it's just red wine or a couple wine coolers. I'm not much of a beer drinker. I briefly went through a pina colada phase and after that I just told them to fill a cup with ice and add some pineapple juice and dump a shot of rum on the top(no mixing) - drank with a straw.

Those Long Island Iced teas can be deceptively potent, and I have those on occasion too. For shots maybe you could try peppermint schnapps or one of the other flavors.

But yeah, I thought the rum and pineapple juice was good prepared the way I said.
I’ll stick with refreshing ones as it’s summertime.

Espresso Martini (my favorite)
Mint Julep (quick buzz)
Mojito
Paloma
Mai Tai

I typically drink beer and good Irish whisky or single malt scotches...but if I were to want a refreshing drink along the lines you've mentioned...it'd be a dark and stormy. Goslings rum and a ginger beer...make it as strong/weak as you'd like.
How about a G&T with non alcohol Gin?