deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random Thoughts
Random Thoughts

The thread title itself sums it up pretty well. Any thoughts or incomplete ideas to be quickly jotted down that may not be ripe, ready, or evidently suitable at a glance for any other topic/subtopic.

It's fairly informal, and I've seen users on other forums make moderate use of such threads e.g. based on experience, I've been thinking about posting the pros and cons of buying cheap tires in my automotive thread.

Also, there was a recent proposal rejected a couple years ago that came up again that would prevent the general public from working on their own vehicles, and it was voted down again. I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind these proposals; of course I have ideas.
(05-18-2024, 02:34 AM)CCoburn Wrote: Random Thoughts

Also, there was a recent proposal rejected a couple years ago that came up again that would prevent the general public from working on their own vehicles, and it was voted down again. I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind these proposals; of course I have ideas.

Well, I for one am unapologetically inclined to inquire under a conspiracy theory premise... so in regards to your last comment "being voted down" I can say that it was highly likely that any collection of information accumulated by experience and observation would operate against the "prime directive," namely "profit."

If people are encouraged to share their successes and experiences working with their own vehicles it would eventually become clear where 'designed obsolescence' is purposefully inserted, systemically protected, and financially exploited.  A focused effort is bound to show how to overcome and resolve these elements in the products consumers pay for.  Especially if they are cogently constructed and accumulated in a commonly accessible place.  Can't have that... right?
Ok!

Why do we call it humpday, when most people get laid on the weekend?

Why do we park on the driveway, and drive on the parkway?

And, lastly, why do we work so hard to get people to conform to society, when we should actually be joining them?? (My Wife’s favorite, she’s a psychologist)

Tecate
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
Never chase or choose a label for yourself. You stick to it and can't move freely. I think it was Mark Twain who said "Don't let your children's schooling ruin their education". How true. I left school early and learned more in a year than the whole of my school life.

It is impossible to live in the past, but wonderful to live with it. Those with a past to hide that they are afraid of usually tell others not to live "in" the past.

The job of every parent is to produce the best Grandchildren possible. Makes absolute sense and gives parents a good reason to think about the true future of their own children beyond being a representation of themselves.

Is the ATS countdown clock that has now turned RED and is shuddering going to explode when it hits zero?

Where do all my missing odd socks go? I have an endless supply of their lonely counterparts which are now useful polishing socks in the workshop because of this mystery.

Is there a name for that tickley throat that makes you want to cough that shows up every time an important meeting is about to happen? It's one of those things that I'm sure is psychosymatic and happens the moment we have the slightest thought about it.

More to follow when I have thunk some more...

Great idea for a thread. Thumbup

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
(05-18-2024, 08:09 PM)Nerb Wrote: Where do all my missing odd socks go?

Speaking of socks, isn't it amazing that we, as humans, can stand on one leg while putting a sock on the other?
(05-18-2024, 02:04 PM)Maxmars Wrote: Well, I for one am unapologetically inclined to inquire under a conspiracy theory premise... so in regards to your last comment "being voted down" I can say that it was highly likely that any collection of information accumulated by experience and observation would operate against the "prime directive," namely "profit."

Well it was voted down again and hopefully they'll leave it alone this time so I won't have to worry about being criminalized for taking the 'greenless' route less traveled.

Aside from maximizing the dealership profits they might also think that the general public is too incompetent to perform scheduled maintenance on a vehicle whereby this might result in road hazards or other potential problems created by inferior workmanship.

The latter of the above is partially derived from the fact that on some vehicles they took our transmission dipsticks away from us rendering a closed system maybe because they felt that the average user was unable to competently check/adjust fluid levels thus possibly damaging the transmission so this particular maintenance would be best left to the dealership.

In summary it's probably a little of this and a little of that, but ironically I believe the work that I myself perform may likely be an improvement over that obtained from the 'stealership' since I am under the impression that often times an individual will care less about something if it is not theirs.
I "jumped the gun" again. This time it was in Zardogs' Odyssey. I hate it when that happens, and I'm really going to try and make sure that it doesn't happen again!!

The piece still seem to fit though, so I posted it anyway.
As far as missing socks go, I have decided that this is now why we have the trend of people wearing 2 different socks.

They just got fed up with trying to find the mate and said the hell with it.  Good call.

And, the egg.  The egg had to come first, right?  If chickens evolved from something else, the changes had to come during the egg stage, right?
The earth provides everything we need.
We thought we could do better.
We were wrong.
(05-18-2024, 02:34 AM)CCoburn Wrote: I've been thinking about posting the pros and cons of buying cheap tires in my automotive thread.
I used to travel extensively for work the first few years I get the best tires I could made sure I rotated them etc.

Then I hit a rough patch and money was tight, and found a local used tire guy. By the time bought a second set in my mind I was saying those lasted for a real long time. I went back and checked and in comparison to my higher-priced dealership prestige brand, I was getting close enough mileage and wear and tear why pay so much more?

Plus he set me up with a plug kit and I got where I could fix most popped tires if I could get to it without even taking the tire off? If you drive for a living and are on a schedule it's invaluable being able to fix it quick and keep going to the next appointment. 

As long as you watch your tires and rotate and balance them when needed. Next, rip off designer engine oils...
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(05-20-2024, 09:36 AM)putnam6 Wrote: I used to travel extensively for work the first few years I get the best tires I could made sure I rotated them etc.

Then I hit a rough patch and money was tight, and found a local used tire guy. By the time bought a second set in my mind I was saying those lasted for a real long time. I went back and checked and in comparison to my higher-priced dealership prestige brand, I was getting close enough mileage and wear and tear why pay so much more?

Plus he set me up with a plug kit and I got where I could fix most popped tires if I could get to it without even taking the tire off? If you drive for a living and are on a schedule it's invaluable being able to fix it quick and keep going to the next appointment. 

As long as you watch your tires and rotate and balance them when needed. Next, rip off designer engine oils...

I've also done extensive traveling in cars, and there is definitely a difference in the quality of the different brands. I've had some of the off-brand tires become out of round with age, or have belts that snap loose inside the tire. No issues with alignments or suspension as I have these checked with every new set. There are also definitely wide variances in the traction. My vehicle has a lot of power and rear wheel drive, and the tread patterns definitely matter, particularly in the snow or rain.

I also never rotate my tires, only balance them when needed. No problems with the tires lasting to the stated warranty mileage. One really only needs to rotate tires on a vehicle with bent suspension. Most cars have been in at least one minor accident. I used to work on older cars and trust me, they've all been hit whether the owner knows it or not. I think the issues arises where a lot of the cheaper cars don't have suspension that's fully adjustable. This can be remedied with a kit in most cases but most tire places would rather sell you more tires, alignments, and rotations.