deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What's all the hubbub about the solar eclipse
(04-04-2024, 04:20 AM)Rainmaker Wrote: A year ago I would have run to ATS to share this; I’m now proud to make this my “home” forum. 

First of all, I’m firmly in the camp of not caring at all about the eclipse. It will be just another day for me, albeit one where I avoid potentially crowded areas. I live in rural extreme northern Vermont and we are expecting around 250,000 people to come to my area to see the eclipse. You read that correctly, not 25,000.

Those who know me from ATS also know I’m not ashamed to admit I’m a fairly recently-retired fed. Thus, most of my friends are or were in the federal government as well.

I was chatting with someone who is still employed by the government just now when the individual dropped a bombshell that I’ve never heard mentioned. This person commented how my wife and I are some of the most calm people they know when it comes to the eclipse. Almost everyone in the area is in some sort of panic, whether it be fear of widespread crime, power outages, or natural disasters. 

I shrugged my shoulders and told this person that we simply don’t care because we are both lifelong preparedness-lifestyle types and being prepared for anything means we panic at nothing. This individual then sort of smiled and said something to the effect of, “I know why you’re not in a panic, and I know why I’m not and (person we both know well) isn’t in a panic either.” I thought the comment was odd and I asked what they meant. The reply was chilling because this person still works for the government and certainly knows a lot more than was being revealed. 

The response was, “what will people do if the eclipse doesn’t happen? What if nothing close to an eclipse is observed? Quite the opposite of panic, I’d say. So don’t expect any panic that day”. I asked for further details and all I got was “you’ll see”.

Interesting... although I don't see how any government could stop an eclipse. As Byrd said, it's sort of out of our hands. Unless someone has developed the technology to move the planet or moon around, that is.

I really don't know what's going on, and so far I haven't been able to decipher any reasonable explanation for the over-preparedness. Heck,  I'm going to get less than 90% coverage, and I just saw where our local schools are shutting down that afternoon. The excuse is that they think it will be too dark for the bus drivers to drive safely, but how do they pick up kids in the winter when it's dark? That excuse just doesn't hold water.

I don't think it's going to be a rapture... not that I'm not always trying to stay ready just in case. The signs, assuming I am reading them right, are not yet. If anything is actually going on, it will have to do with our government pulling something new. I've been expecting for a few years now an armed violence outbreak designed to usher in more gun control, but that hasn't happened... maybe this is the preparation for a false flag? Stage a violent outbreak, blame it on "conservatives," and use it to demand more gun control? After all, Jan. 6, 2021 was effectively sold as an "insurrection," so why not?

Come to think of it, "MAGA" is the new boogeyman in politics and there is an election coming up... maybe blame it on the "MAGA conservatives" to try and shift sentiment in the face of the upcoming election? Dual purpose? Nobody panic... this is just me thinking out loud.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong... but I certainly don't trust the government, especially this one. I'm sure they have something up their sleeve besides their arm. I just don't know what.

TheRedneck
It look`s like the path of solar eclipse path change with less than a week Rolleyes  Odd that they could not calculate this right originally ?

Quote:The path of totality for the upcoming solar eclipse has shifted after more accurate calculations were made by a solar eclipse expert, and several areas in the U.S. originally believing they were within the path of totality are now outside of it.

Solar Eclipse 2024: Full List of Places That Won't See It After Path Change
(04-05-2024, 11:14 PM)TheRedneck Wrote: Interesting... although I don't see how any government could stop an eclipse. As Byrd said, it's sort of out of our hands. Unless someone has developed the technology to move the planet or moon around, that is.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong... but I certainly don't trust the government, especially this one. I'm sure they have something up their sleeve besides their arm. I just don't know what.

TheRedneck

Let me clarify…it’s not that anyone thinks there is an entity who can stop the eclipse. 

I don’t know about anywhere else and my life is too busy to dwell on such things, but Vermont is a melting pot of odd people unlike anywhere else I’ve lived. And I’ve resided all over the US and in a few international destinations for short periods of time.

That being said, we have some major crossovers of stereotypes— for lack of a better term. We have the hippies who are also intellectuals and fitness obsessed (usually I’ve met hippies who are very laid back and lazy). The “new age” crowd who can be extreme left or right— in most places they seem to lean far left. And more.

With all of these eccentric personalities in my everyday life, one common theme is some people think the “eclipse” is a sort of Project Bluebeam-esque show wherein some sort of graphic or projection will be placed over the sun to test how people react. In the last few days, that idea has picked up a lot of traction around here. People I never would have ever thought would entertain the idea of a “conspiracy theory” are talking about it.
(04-05-2024, 11:14 PM)TheRedneck Wrote: Unless someone has developed the technology to move the planet or moon around

I have a bit of a pet theory that goes something like this: eclipses can work as portals through space and time. More specifically the moments a location in the path of totality "enters" and "leaves" the total eclipse.

March 16 2015 Putin resurfaced after mysteriously being occulted for 10 days from public view and instantly ordered snap drills for the entire Northern Fleet.
March 17 2015 those drills were extended to the Norwegian Sea.

March 20 2015 Total solar eclipse with path of totality passing through the Norwegian Sea and the Barents sea.

March 21 End of snap drills

April 8 2024 Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are in the path of totality. A Russian boomer will suddenly appear, unleash a full salvo of 16 ICBMs with up to 160 nuclear warheads and return to March 20 2015 in the Norwegian/Barents Sea.

That's the movie script or fever dream version for illustrative purpose obviously. But I think it may hold a core of truth and some unusual phenomena will be witnessed.
It's. Just. A. Celestial. Event.   Much as we've witnessed since the dawn of humanity, and even before, when "we" were proto-humans.    It is not a harbinger of doom.  It is not a precursor to the great Armageddon.   

This actually sounds funny to me coming out of my mouth, since I am a person who places significance on various portents and signs that I see.   I fancy myself to be fairly insightful.   Still, this is an a-MAZ-ing event which a lucky few will witness.   I have seen several total solar eclipses in my life.   I have seen several total lunar eclipses in my life.   They are events which should remind us of how wonderful the world is, and remind us how people in the beginning forms of humanity placed heavy significance upon these events.   We now know that they are simply orbital mechanics.   

Still, if you get a chance to see it, please do so.   Don't risk you or your family's life to do so.   It's not that important -- you can watch it on the internet, and it's just as valid.  It doesn't have the same ....umm...... spiritual  .. impact (at least for me) watching it on the internet as seeing the glory of it in person.  

I guess I just want to tell people that it will be okay.   Don't do stupid things to be able to see it.  It's not THAT important.   It really doesn't mean anything.   It is an event which can be predicted FAR in advance, and even the Maya of approximately 4000 years ago were adept at predicting it.   

The eclipse is scientifically, and perhaps spiritually important, but it's not so important that people should risk their safety.   JMHO.
When all else fails, listed to the Redneck (just look up there for some basic wisdom).  It's gonna be o-kay.
(04-04-2024, 04:20 AM)Rainmaker Wrote: A year ago I would have run to ATS to share this; I’m now proud to make this my “home” forum. 

First of all, I’m firmly in the camp of not caring at all about the eclipse. It will be just another day for me, albeit one where I avoid potentially crowded areas. I live in rural extreme northern Vermont and we are expecting around 250,000 people to come to my area to see the eclipse. You read that correctly, not 25,000.

Those who know me from ATS also know I’m not ashamed to admit I’m a fairly recently-retired fed. Thus, most of my friends are or were in the federal government as well.

I was chatting with someone who is still employed by the government just now when the individual dropped a bombshell that I’ve never heard mentioned. This person commented how my wife and I are some of the most calm people they know when it comes to the eclipse. Almost everyone in the area is in some sort of panic, whether it be fear of widespread crime, power outages, or natural disasters. 

I shrugged my shoulders and told this person that we simply don’t care because we are both lifelong preparedness-lifestyle types and being prepared for anything means we panic at nothing. This individual then sort of smiled and said something to the effect of, “I know why you’re not in a panic, and I know why I’m not and (person we both know well) isn’t in a panic either.” I thought the comment was odd and I asked what they meant. The reply was chilling because this person still works for the government and certainly knows a lot more than was being revealed. 

The response was, “what will people do if the eclipse doesn’t happen? What if nothing close to an eclipse is observed? Quite the opposite of panic, I’d say. So don’t expect any panic that day”. I asked for further details and all I got was “you’ll see”.

Well shit, now Im have to watch, LOL. Respectfully HITF is the moon not going to transit the sun? And if you don't think that would cause a bit of concern, I believe some of the government idiocy got stuck to you before you left. 

Thats the problem with large groups there are always some that freak over any deviation from the norm. 

Maybe it's social media and everybody is too plugged in, but people will wonder what happened to the moon. 

I read somewhere humanity would be screwed without the moon. We'd have a hard time adjusting 

https://nineplanets.org/questions/what-w...s-no-moon/

Quote:The change in the Earth’s rotational speed and a change in the Earth’s tilt would also affect the Earth’s weather patterns. If the moon slows down the Earth’s rotation, then the moon also affects the wind and wind speeds on our planet. Without the moon, we would see an increase in wind speeds. Winds could become much faster and much stronger without the moon.
Additionally, we might see a change entirely in seasons. The moon affects the angle of the Earth’s tilt. Currently, the Earth sits at a 23.5-degree tilt. This means our planet leans slightly to one side as it sits in space. The tilt creates what we know as seasons and changing weather. Without the pull of the moon, this tilt would change. Either the tilt would become extreme, leading to extreme and severe seasons, or the tilt would decrease, and we would see almost no seasons at all.
The moon influences life as we know it on Earth. It influences our oceans, weather, and the hours in our days. Without the moon, tides would fall, nights would be darker, seasons would change, and the length of our days would alter.
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
I am excited. We won't see but some, looking at when we will have the eclipse in this timezone, the kids should be at their playtime in the yard. I may also have the nasa website up to view it. I believe it's like at 10 or something when they are gonna stream it. It will be fun to read the book I inadvertently got for our space study to teach them anout the moon and sun fight.I am excited  Smile
Have a sunshine type of day! Cool Cool
(04-08-2024, 12:10 AM)Cre8Chaos Wrote: I am excited. We won't see but some, looking at when we will have the eclipse in this timezone, the kids should be at their playtime in the yard. I may also have the nasa website up to view it. I believe it's like at 10 or something when they are gonna stream it. It will be fun to read the book I inadvertently got for our space study to teach them anout the moon and sun fight.I am excited  Smile

I hope the kids will have their eclipse glasses or pinhole viewing box to keep safe.

How to make a pinhole viewing box...

[Video: https://youtu.be/Sj_G8GCSfks?si=o4dEBo8Zquh8k1z0]
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
I remember making those pin-hole boxes in elementary school...  wow, what a call-back to memory lane!  Thumbup