deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What's all the hubbub about the solar eclipse
What's all the hubbub about the solar eclipse? AP acts as if it's just an abundance of caution, but I don't ever recall all of this BS 

I wanted to drop this here and will add more later 

Seeing areas and organizations declaring states of emergency, seems like a gross overreaction...what am I missing

Various events mentioned 

CERN NASA & State of Emergency during Solar Eclipse.

• Solar eclipse on April 8th • NASA is firing 3 rockets at it • A "Devil Comet" will be visible during it • They’re turning on CERN on for first time since 2022 the same day • "Celestial explosion will briefly create new star in skies" Crazy week!

NASA Director warns of “Unusual Behaviors” during Eclipse and that Solar Eclipses have “Special Power”.

https://apnews.com/article/total-solar-e...3f26234a2e

Quote:MISSION, Kan. (AP) — Stock up on groceries. Print off driving directions. And be very, very patient.
Small towns and rural enclaves along the path of April’s total solar eclipse are steeling for huge crowds of sun chasers who plan to catch a glimpse of day turning into dusk in North America.
Tourism and community leaders in the path of totality from Texas to Maine have trucked in extra fuel and port-a-potties, and urged residents and visitors to be prepared. Some counties have issued disaster declarations to get extra help with policing and other aid, similar to the aftermath of severe storms. And in Oklahoma, the National Guard will help.
Because of expected heavy traffic and other disruptions, hundreds of schools are closing or switching to remote learning in states including Texas, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont.
WHY ALL THE WARNINGS?Look no further back than the last U.S. total solar eclipse in 2017 to understand the concern, said Tom Traub, who is part of NASA’s eclipse ambassador program.
That year, he traveled to Beatrice, Nebraska, where the normal population of around 12,000 swelled to around 40,000 as eclipse watchers arrived.
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
(04-02-2024, 07:35 AM)putnam6 Wrote: What's all the hubbub about the solar eclipse? AP acts as if it's just an abundance of caution, but I don't ever recall all of this BS 

I wanted to drop this here and will add more later 

Seeing areas and organizations declaring states of emergency, seems like a gross overreaction...what am I missing

Various events mentioned 

CERN NASA & State of Emergency during Solar Eclipse.

• Solar eclipse on April 8th • NASA is firing 3 rockets at it • A "Devil Comet" will be visible during it • They’re turning on CERN on for first time since 2022 the same day • "Celestial explosion will briefly create new star in skies" Crazy week!

NASA Director warns of “Unusual Behaviors” during Eclipse and that Solar Eclipses have “Special Power”.

https://apnews.com/article/total-solar-e...3f26234a2e

I don't know about all that marlarky, but I'm going to Austin where my brother, a laser engineer, has a word problem to solve.  He wants to chase the darkness by following the path as far as possible.  

I will be there when the big light goes out. 

I saw the total annular eclipse from Roswell, NM last Oct.  The path of these two eclipses cross in San Antonio. 

The total annular eclipse looked like a gold ring around the black disk of the moon.  The bright midmorning  beautiful blue sky got twiIighty  weird but not dark.  The upcoming Great American Eclipse hopefully will show Bailey's Beads, shining thru the mountains on the moon.  

If the gold ring followed by the diamonds aren't a 'signature'.
,  I don't know what else would be.   Infinitesimal  unlikely arrangement.
(04-02-2024, 10:27 AM)CoyoteAngels Wrote: I don't know about all that marlarky, but I'm going to Austin where my brother, a laser engineer, has a word problem to solve.  He wants to chase the darkness by following the path as far as possible.  

I will be there when the big light goes out. 

I saw the total annular eclipse from Roswell, NM last Oct.  The path of these two eclipses cross in San Antonio. 

The total annular eclipse looked like a gold ring around the black disk of the moon.  The bright midmorning  beautiful blue sky got twiIighty  weird but not dark.  The upcoming Great American Eclipse hopefully will show Bailey's Beads, shining thru the mountains on the moon.  

If the gold ring followed by the diamonds aren't a 'signature'.
,  I don't know what else would be.   Infinitesimal  unlikely arrangement.

Im hip to the scientific and astronomical wonderment Coyote Angels, If I were closer I go somewhere and check it out, even though I just saw where much of my state will 88% covered look. 

But fill up my gas tank and stock up on groceries? state of emergency declarations are completely different peas in completely different pods.
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
A year ago I would have run to ATS to share this; I’m now proud to make this my “home” forum. 

First of all, I’m firmly in the camp of not caring at all about the eclipse. It will be just another day for me, albeit one where I avoid potentially crowded areas. I live in rural extreme northern Vermont and we are expecting around 250,000 people to come to my area to see the eclipse. You read that correctly, not 25,000.

Those who know me from ATS also know I’m not ashamed to admit I’m a fairly recently-retired fed. Thus, most of my friends are or were in the federal government as well.

I was chatting with someone who is still employed by the government just now when the individual dropped a bombshell that I’ve never heard mentioned. This person commented how my wife and I are some of the most calm people they know when it comes to the eclipse. Almost everyone in the area is in some sort of panic, whether it be fear of widespread crime, power outages, or natural disasters. 

I shrugged my shoulders and told this person that we simply don’t care because we are both lifelong preparedness-lifestyle types and being prepared for anything means we panic at nothing. This individual then sort of smiled and said something to the effect of, “I know why you’re not in a panic, and I know why I’m not and (person we both know well) isn’t in a panic either.” I thought the comment was odd and I asked what they meant. The reply was chilling because this person still works for the government and certainly knows a lot more than was being revealed. 

The response was, “what will people do if the eclipse doesn’t happen? What if nothing close to an eclipse is observed? Quite the opposite of panic, I’d say. So don’t expect any panic that day”. I asked for further details and all I got was “you’ll see”.
Schools are closing in the path because they don't want the kids out in the dark.  It's a safety thing.

States of Emergency declared in the path because there are going to be millions upon millions of people all crowding the areas, and the roads will be blocked and jammed.

I started a thread here in 'fragile earth' forum about what happened last time two solar eclipses made an X on America, and had a comet involved in it all.   Three months later, the New Madrid let loose and there were earthquakes so bad that the Mississippi river ran backwards.  Just an interesting tidbit.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(04-04-2024, 04:20 AM)Rainmaker Wrote: The response was, “what will people do if the eclipse doesn’t happen? What if nothing close to an eclipse is observed? Quite the opposite of panic, I’d say. So don’t expect any panic that day”. I asked for further details and all I got was “you’ll see”.

It's physics (well, it's astronomy but physics and math is involved there.)

The eclipse WILL happen.  It's a special astronomical event (like lunar eclipses) but there are between two and five solar eclipses here on Earth *every single year* (https://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2006/faq.ph...20or%20two.)

People treat the behavior of stars and planets as if the area over our heads is actually a dome and there's things up there pushing stuff around.  The universe is vast, eclipses of one type or another happen all over the universe (and have been happening since the first planet and moon formed).  Here's a list of all of them (including ones into the future) for this century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so...st_century

It's not magic, folks.  It's a neat phenomena and a fun one to see since people living in North America don't have to get passports and travel to see it.
Now that I've started extending my mission into Redddit, I am picking up the impression that Christian Americans, at least, are hoping that the eclipse will be synchronised with the Rapture. "Should I be worried?" "Not if you're faithful".

I suppose it makes sense to anyone who believes that America is the centre of God's world.
(04-05-2024, 04:56 AM)DISRAELI Wrote: Now that I've started extending my mission into Redddit, I am picking up the impression that Christian Americans, at least, are hoping that the eclipse will be synchronised with the Rapture. "Should I be worried?" "Not if you're faithful".

I suppose it makes sense to anyone who believes that America is the centre of God's world.

Ohboy... that's another rabbit hole.  I used to follow the "Rapture Ready" crowd with their "countdown to Armageddon" database.  You'd be surprised how many times their data proved that Armageddon was practically on them, which caused the members to become hyper aware of everything and fearful (and panic-praying.)  It got so bad that the group eventually banned any message that mentioned dates.
(04-05-2024, 04:56 AM)DISRAELI Wrote: Now that I've started extending my mission into Redddit, I am picking up the impression that Christian Americans, at least, are hoping that the eclipse will be synchronised with the Rapture. "Should I be worried?" "Not if you're faithful".

Well .. not all Christian Americans.  Only a small segment believe in 'the Rapture'.   The Catholic church does not.  Neither do Episcopals, Lutherans, and Methodists.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(04-05-2024, 12:47 PM)FlyersFan Wrote: Well .. not all Christian Americans.  Only a small segment believe in 'the Rapture'.   The Catholic church does not.  Neither do Episcopals, Lutherans, and Methodists.

Understood. My meaning was "Christian Americans as against non-Christian Americans" (knowing that the latter would not be interested), which is why I did not write "American Christians"