Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ship hits Baltimore Bridge, many dead.
Here is a Twitter video illustrating what happened.

Watch it, as it shows the ships multiple power outages and steering to avoid.

Here is YouTube video from The Gaurdian showing the collapse:
[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdVpd-pqcM]

The ship lost power multiple times and could not steer, along with current pushing it spelled disaster.

Sir Francis Scott Key Bridge. Container ship Dali. Ship owner hid in paperwork. Looks like accident not terrorism.

heartbreaking.

Many dead.

Prayers for all for those involved and hurt.
Couple of things coming out about this event.
From: Cargo ship that hit Baltimore bridge was involved in Antwerp collision in 2016 (msn.com)

Quote: It is unclear what crew were aboard the ship. Vessel Finder said at the time that the ship, which was built in South Korea in 2015 by Hyundai Heavy Industries, was owned by the Greek company Oceanbulk Maritime but was chartered by Maersk.

The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) confirmed on Tuesday that the Dali was registered in Singapore and had 22 crew on board, with Maersk adding in a statement that the crew were all Indian but none of them were Maersk crew or personnel.

and from: (1) Francis Scott Key bridge collapse: six people still missing after ship collision, officials say (theguardian.com)

Quote: 
2h ago07.51 EDTAn unclassified Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency report said the container ship Dali “lost propulsion” as it was leaving port and warned Maryland officials of a possible collision, ABC reported.

“The vessel notified MD Department of Transportation (MDOT) that they had lost control of the vessel and an allision [a ship collision] with the bridge was possible,” the report said.

yeah we can see this from the video floating around, but we can also see that they had power before the ship hit. From the article it seems that we can rule out terrorism, because that's what the White House is telling us and we all know how trustworthy they have been.

Quote: 
Officials both in Baltimore and Washington have underscored that they do not believe the incident is terrorism-related.
“There is no indication of any nefarious intent,” the White House said.

I just want to point out that this bridge is also where a massive tanker ship is scheduled to go through carrying millions of tons of natural gas. This ship is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Other shipping problems this crash has caused, Baltimore Port: What impact will bridge collapse have on shipping? | Reuters

Quote: 
CURRENT STATUS OF CARGO SHIPS INSIDE PORTMore than 40 ships remained inside Baltimore port, including small cargo ships, tug boats and pleasure craft, data from ship tracking and maritime analytics provider MarineTraffic shows.
At least 30 other ships had signalled their destination was Baltimore, the data showed.IMPORTSIt is the busiest U.S. port for car shipments, handling more than 750,000 vehicles in 2023, according to data from the Maryland Port Administration.

The port handles imports and exports for major automakers including Nissan (7201.T), opens new tab, Toyota (7203.T), opens new tab, General Motors (GM.N), opens new tab, Volvo Car (VOLCARb.ST), opens new tab, Jaguar Land Rover (TAMOJL.UL) and Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE), opens new tab, including luxury models for Audi, Lamborghini and Bentley.
It is also the largest U.S. port by volume for handling farm and construction machinery, as well as agricultural products.
Imports of agricultural products totalled 3 million tonnes last year, including 1.2 million of sugar and salt, as well as gypsum, fertilisers and forest products, according to Ishan Bhanu, lead agricultural commodities analyst at Kpler.
Advertisement · Scroll to continue

In the end I doubt we'll ever get a full picture of what is going on, but hopefully we can start piecing it all together.
I don't think this was terrorism.

If I wanted to make the biggest damage possible they would have done it during rush hour, not at a time of low traffic.
And they wouldn't let the pilots try to reverse their action or warn the authorities.
We live on hour from this.
We have been over this bridge.
It's going to really screw up traffic in B'more.
And the shipping ... what a mess!
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
I too am of the opinion that this was just the conjunction of a series of unfortunate events.  An accident... (which doesn't mean it was "no one's fault," or that it was anyone in particular who should be responsible (Captain... anyone?)

I live very close to this bridge... less than an hour away also, so this will be in my local news for a while.  I pray for the missing.
Here's a better long angle . . . . right full rudder right on target  Biggrin

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JebyNOvJ...&index=209]
LolBeer It's Bueller Time

(03-26-2024, 02:39 PM)ArMaP Wrote: I don't think this was terrorism.

If I wanted to make the biggest damage possible they would have done it during rush hour, not at a time of low traffic.
And they wouldn't let the pilots try to reverse their action or warn the authorities.

If it WAS an act of terrorism it doesn't necessarily entail the knowledge of the crew.

An explosion could have been rigged and detonated at exactly the right time remotely depending on the direction and momentum of the ship which would be easy to observe from a myriad of positions.

Perhaps why the power was on and off, the crew did all they could including alerting the authorities and maybe used auxillary power but all too late.

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully.
The ship had  a deficiency related to “propulsion and auxiliary machinery.”  June 27 .

BREAKING: MV Dali Cited for Propulsion Issues Before Baltimore Incident

They later did the inspection again , all was ok . But as the ship lost propulsion again, it raises questions did the problem still exist.
(03-27-2024, 12:07 AM)Kenzo Wrote: The ship had  a deficiency related to “propulsion and auxiliary machinery.”  June 27 .

BREAKING: MV Dali Cited for Propulsion Issues Before Baltimore Incident

They later did the inspection again , all was ok . But as the ship lost propulsion again, it raises questions did the problem still exist.

Looks like the old problem of "give all the money to the investors and bosses, and cut corners on maintenance and repairs."  We've seen this too many times.  Investors and CEOs only care about the little guy when there's a national news story about something that they caused that resulted in death and injury.
(03-26-2024, 02:39 PM)ArMaP Wrote: I don't think this was terrorism.

Unless of course, the Target(s) were not innocent people. 

MSM is already playing up the "economic" impacts !! 
 Wink
LolBeer It's Bueller Time