deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good Horror Films.
(06-29-2024, 07:27 PM)argentus Wrote: Although Stephen King -- the author -- apparently didn't like Kubrick's treatment of his book The Shining, I really love the movie.   Mr. King apparently wanted to focus more upon the horrors of alcoholism.   I think the movie is perfect in every way.  Many folk have shaded Shelly Duvall's role, but I think she is also perfect in her role, because she is so very vulnerable.  Nicholson, is, of course, excellent as always, and the supporting cast such as Scatman Corothers are great.   This is one of my favorite horror movies.   

Not a big fan of The Shining for my own reasons but I readily admit that it hits the right spots for some classic elements of horror.

Doctor Sleep is one of my favorite movies, period.   I truly feel like I'm watching a King novel play out.  I wish some of Koontz's and MacCamerons's works got big-screen treatments.   Horror Fiction was my favorite isle of the bookstores back in the 80's/90's.   It's all but disappeared sadly

For modern flicks. Event Horizon almost gives me goosebumps.   I think it qualifies as horror.  A bit disturbing nonetheless
I cannot believe Vincent Price hasn’t been mentioned yet. He is the king of horror. I’m not fond of horror movies post 1970. The 50’s and particularly the 60’s ones are the best. Cheesy? Yes, they are. But they don’t rely on grotesque images to peak interest. Like the Saw movies. Sorry, I’m not going to spend two hours watching someone chop their own limbs off. 

I love Vincent Price!

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QChBy15UiTs]

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxey5Y0inY]

This one is particularly dark for it’s time period.

As an additional bonus, I present you the full Version - for FREE!

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKsvmTAki2k]
(06-30-2024, 09:56 AM)Raptured Wrote: Not a big fan of The Shining for my own reasons but I readily admit that it hits the right spots for some classic elements of horror.

Doctor Sleep is one of my favorite movies, period.   I truly feel like I'm watching a King novel play out.  I wish some of Koontz's and MacCamerons's works got big-screen treatments.   Horror Fiction was my favorite isle of the bookstores back in the 80's/90's.   It's all but disappeared sadly

For modern flicks. Event Horizon almost gives me goosebumps.   I think it qualifies as horror.  A bit disturbing nonetheless

I love the movie Event Horizon!   Yes, certainly it is horror.     

Talking about Stephen King other works of his that  I consider good horror movies is Misery, Needful Things, Thinner, and who could forget Carrie?    I have read that a film adaptation of From a Buick 8 has been made, and I'm really very interested in seeing it, as I absolutely love the book.   I can't think of any of King's books that I didn't love.  ETA:   Yes, I can.   I had a hard time warming up to the gunslinger series.   Not sure why.   I read them frequently, and always want to race to the end, which is just opposite of how I read all the rest of his books.

ETA #2:   THE STAND!!!  woo hooo!
(06-29-2024, 06:32 PM)ArMaP Wrote: I only watch bad horror and sci-fi movies.  Biggrin

More specifically, those from the 1950s and 1960s, like those from Hammer.

In that case you might enjoy Lair Of The White Worm - although its more of an 80s flick I think.

(06-29-2024, 07:27 PM)argentus Wrote: Although Stephen King -- the author -- apparently didn't like Kubrick's treatment of his book The Shining, I really love the movie.   Mr. King apparently wanted to focus more upon the horrors of alcoholism.   I think the movie is perfect in every way.  Many folk have shaded Shelly Duvall's role, but I think she is also perfect in her role, because she is so very vulnerable.  Nicholson, is, of course, excellent as always, and the supporting cast such as Scatman Corothers are great.   This is one of my favorite horror movies.   

Im.a.big Stephen King fan but I've always enjoyed his books more than the movie adaptations. If you like the Shining you should check out the 1997 TV miniseries adaptation. It stars Steven Weber from Wings fame. He does an amazing job and the script is much closer to the book version. 

My all time favorite Stephen King book is Salem's Lot. There's a passage in there where King describes a corpse sliding off an autopsy table and crawling across the floor that always stuck in my mind for how creepy it was. Its a really great read.

As far as.my own favorites go, if you're looking for a good twist on a werewolf story I highly recommend Ginger Snaps. Also Karl12 already mentioned it but it's worth repeating, Let The Right One In is an amazing Vampire movie.
Like some have already said and picked, the comedy/horror of American Werewolf in London still ranks as one of my favorite movies but it's in one of those mixed genres like Shaun of the Dead. For a real horror, I've got to go with Exorcist 3. It still has one of the best jump scares of all time, and still remember seeing a whole cinema jump. Brad Douriff who plays one of the main parts was also the voice of Chucky...

[Video: https://youtu.be/BXsj26KH4jk?si=2gXALhVOMj14a51Z]

"Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful planning." 
Charles Tremper
I have to echo the Exorcist 3 recommendation.  Douriff's performance was en par with Scott's... a great pairing.

And of course, I have to add the sci-fi classic horror achieved in Alien:

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5lPt9edzQ]
I started watching the "horror" television series Hannibal again last night. I really wish they wouldn't have canceled it. They always cancel the greatest shows. R.I.P: Marco Polo, Hanna, The Badlands, Hannibal, Heroes.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."
If you don't mind sub-titles the Russian horror film Sputnik (2020) is worth watching.  A young female doctor is recruited by the Russian military to assess a cosmonaut who was recently involved in an accident in space and being kept in solitary confinement.  The movie is set in 1983 during the Cold War.  I could tell you more but it would spoil it.

[Video: https://youtu.be/Qh-oOnZ2Di0]
.. an upbeat cynic

My Avatar: AI-generated "Peter Cushing in the style of Johannes Vermeer"
(06-29-2024, 08:33 PM)argentus Wrote: Watching the movie "Brightburn" right now...

I eagerly waited for this one after seeing one of the trailers; one of many movies that I ruined a little by setting my expectations too high. I think it was good though(my kind of movie), and I think I enjoyed it more the second time I watched it a year or so later without those "high expectations".

The above reminds me of a line from another horror movie that I mentioned here previously:

"I set my expectations low so I'm never disappointed."

– Otis
(07-02-2024, 05:15 AM)CCoburn Wrote: I eagerly waited for this one after seeing one of the trailers; one of many movies that I ruined a little by setting my expectations too high. I think it was good though(my kind of movie), and I think I enjoyed it more the second time I watched it a year or so later without those "high expectations".

The above reminds me of a line from another horror movie that I mentioned here previously:

"I set my expectations low so I'm never disappointed."

– Otis

I liked Brightburn purely for its juxapostition of the Superman story. Would an all powerful being really be friendly and fight for justice or would he crush us under foot?
It was produced by James Gunn who is now head of DC movies and making a Superman movie as we speak???

"Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful planning." 
Charles Tremper