deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Columbia University has fallen
MIT cracking down on those who refuse to break their small encampment with suspensions. Doesn't things like this affect who will or will not hire you? Especially in the defense industry
[Image: GNAdfdgXsAApJsZ?format=jpg&name=large]
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(05-07-2024, 04:52 PM)putnam6 Wrote: MIT cracking down on those who refuse to break their small encampment with suspensions. Doesn't things like this affect who will or will not hire you? Especially in the defense industry

Such employment opportunities that require background checks might gather information like this for their consideration. 

But remember, this can also be called a "civic" choice, and thus cannot be applied prejudicially without further expanding information. 

It remains (nominally) that "protest" is not a crime.... no matter how it is characterized by the aggrieved and its supporters.  But "crime" does have a definition, and anything that can be criminally brought to court changes all that presumed 'protection' from consequences.

Right now the students are being addressed by the educational institution, not the courts...

presumably the protesters are now all set to run for political office... maybe this is a career-path thing for some of them... "Protesting" sells well in our political parties... hint hint.
I would never hire any of the "protestors".

I hope they starve on the Ivy League diplomas.
(05-07-2024, 06:33 PM)DBCowboy Wrote: I would never hire any of the "protestors".

I hope they stave on the Ivy League diplomas.

I hope we're on friendly enough terms to discuss this further.  I'm not challenging you here. 

I mean to say I am uncertain that engaging in protest activity is a "bad" thing.  We can't just "say" it is a right, and then vilify those who protest when we disagree. 

I think I understand that you mean this in terms of the "cause" of their protest.  (There are a analogous amount of students not in Ivy league schools that also feel this way and are, in fact, protesting. A considerable amount of them are in fact present in the current Ivy League school "public nuisance" mix right now.)

This is to say, I assume that they support the violence as "communication" side.  At least in this we agree.  But I've seen similar destructive behavior in so call 'good causes' involving protest... I'll try not to belabor the point excessively.

The 'protester' problem is in how they are behaving.  They seem to be "led" to think that they are "helping" their cause.  But they are not, because they are not speaking to the world, they are speaking to themselves.  It doesn't take a genius to see them fail and recognize it for what it is.  But they are not listening, only speaking... just like their activist leadership...  Meanwhile their cause remains unchanged and not inclined to change in any way... because: reasons they can't control.

They are being taught that tantrums must be thrown.  It's not just in our country but everywhere.  Got a cause?  Make a ruckus!  

When has that really (actually) worked? and more importantly how would that success measure up to your "protest?"  This never gets across their minds, and so they spend a lot of money, scream and make a nuisance of themselves, then slowly withdraw while their "leaders" pat them on the back.... Oh,.... and the money.

If we want this garbage out of our lives, we can't just punish the weak and socially swept up...  now, none of my kids has ever participated in one of these kinds of things... and now, I have to add "yet," but if they ever did, I would hate to think you wouldn't hire them just because of that.  I would rather they got to have an employer like you, if you'll pardon the compliment.
(05-07-2024, 07:11 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I hope we're on friendly enough terms to discuss this further.  I'm not challenging you here. 

I mean to say I am uncertain that engaging in protest activity is a "bad" thing.  We can't just "say" it is a right, and then vilify those who protest when we disagree. 

I think I understand that you mean this in terms of the "cause" of their protest.  (There are a analogous amount of students not in Ivy league schools that also feel this way and are, in fact, protesting. A considerable amount of them are in fact present in the current Ivy League school "public nuisance" mix right now.)

This is to say, I assume that they support the violence as "communication" side.  At least in this we agree.  But I've seen similar destructive behavior in so call 'good causes' involving protest... I'll try not to belabor the point excessively.

The 'protester' problem is in how they are behaving.  They seem to be "led" to think that they are "helping" their cause.  But they are not, because they are not speaking to the world, they are speaking to themselves.  It doesn't take a genius to see them fail and recognize it for what it is.  But they are not listening, only speaking... just like their activist leadership...  Meanwhile their cause remains unchanged and not inclined to change in any way... because: reasons they can't control.

They are being taught that tantrums must be thrown.  It's not just in our country but everywhere.  Got a cause?  Make a ruckus!  

When has that really (actually) worked? and more importantly how would that success measure up to your "protest?"  This never gets across their minds, and so they spend a lot of money, scream and make a nuisance of themselves, then slowly withdraw while their "leaders" pat them on the back.... Oh,.... and the money.

If we want this garbage out of our lives, we can't just punish the weak and socially swept up...  now, none of my kids has ever participated in one of these kinds of things... and now, I have to add "yet," but if they ever did, I would hate to think you wouldn't hire them just because of that.  I would rather they got to have an employer like you, if you'll pardon the compliment.

You are free to protest.  If you want to protest against any people, you should be allowed to do so.

BUT. . . . 

We have people not being hired because they don't think a man can have a period.

Rolleyes
Touche!  Beer
(05-07-2024, 05:07 PM)Maxmars Wrote: Such employment opportunities that require background checks might gather information like this for their consideration. 

But remember, this can also be called a "civic" choice, and thus cannot be applied prejudicially without further expanding information. 

It remains (nominally) that "protest" is not a crime.... no matter how it is characterized by the aggrieved and its supporters.  But "crime" does have a definition, and anything that can be criminally brought to court changes all that presumed 'protection' from consequences.

Right now the students are being addressed by the educational institution, not the courts...

presumably the protesters are now all set to run for political office... maybe this is a career-path thing for some of them... "Protesting" sells well in our political parties... hint hint.

I don't know it's why I am asking, LOL but so we have people not getting hired or even being fired for something they say on social media but suspension by MIT for semi-supporting racial hatred is "kosher"?

ironic universities can not accept you if you do stupid stuff as a teen but...
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
"Teens" is different now...

I think that age curve is changing... what we used to think of as youthful naiveté and lack of an ability to detect guile extends nearly to the 30s now.

They are socially where we see their age group in 1950s. Bereft of mindfulness... and resentful about it.
(05-07-2024, 10:16 PM)Maxmars Wrote: "Teens" is different now...

I think that age curve is changing... what we used to think of as youthful naiveté and lack of an ability to detect guile extends nearly to the 30s now.

They are socially where we see their age group in 1950s. Bereft of mindfulness... and resentful about it.

Well LOL, thats a much more politically correct way to describe these phenomena than I could have ever mustered up. 

The Sharks and the Jets, The Rebel with a cause...there is a certain lawless element for sure.

Just watched a video granted it's Belgium but still. 2 obvious Palestinian protesters picked up a slat of wood and started beating these other guys. So you have people like James Carlson and these azzhats who by the way looked mid 30s leading our children our nephews and our nieces 

This naiveté is the one reason these protests are failing and the lack of flexibility and coping skills from this generation.

Not to mention the MSM is playing this up to the hilt, but when you find the actual numbers and how many protesters are students not affiliated with the universities. You see the real students mostly don't have it in them.
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
Sadly, they will grow out of it, and pretend it never happened... or how it wasn't their fault.  Lessons lost.

The "Love" generation said they would change the world... and then they gave us this.  These people will be no different, I fear.