deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ATS Alternate Sources of Past Research
what about the memento project? Time Travel (mementoweb.org) should work, at least with some of the older sites.
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to achieve.
I could fairly easily write a scraper that sucks down every last post into my own DB. I started writing my own search engine a couple years back, but got sidetracked with lots of other things going on and stopped working on it. It was already functional and had scrapes of the top ranked 1000 English language sites in it. I'm not sure if I still have it on a backup. I ran out of space at one point and started deleting VMs I was no longer using and it may have been one of them.

My concern would be the legal issues. Even if I pull it down, technically "The Above Network" still owns the content, so I'm not sure about the legality of publishing it, ergo my comments on the other thread about being interested in being given a copy of the message DB with licensing.

Honestly, something tells me we're never going to hear from the proprietors again and the site will continue limping until such time as the DB corruption or money in the account runs out. I'm not sure what the legal standing is on a site that has been abandoned - particularly when it appears it's still being funded by someone.

Maybe a competitor bought it to intentionally let it die. I know of at least one competing forum owner that might do such a thing since he's such an asshole.
(05-16-2024, 10:33 PM)Dark Light Wrote: I’m sure I can’t be the only one who has turned to ATS the last decade or so for information finding?  For example, I’ve been on a binge of trying to figure out autoimmune, food, water, environment, Govt involvement, general disease issues for a while now and just a few days ago found a treasure trove of information on ATS going back to possibly one of ATS early days.   

All the old posts about cryptids or 9/11 or shootings that had posts that you could follow AS it was happening……..

Does anyone know how to preserve old ATS stuff if it’s even possible?     

Finding solid information is getting harder and harder, and I absolutely refuse to use mass media.    

I remember finding a site from a link on ATS that had obscure information that I haven’t been able to find again and Google for sure won’t show it.

What resources does everyone use?   I actually made a post on ATS about how people gather their information and didn’t really get any solid resources.

Sometimes when Im bored Ill search old ATS files 

YOU can sometimes find good threads on the waybackmachine that are semi-readable that have research links

Can't seem to get to the archives anymore, but search research and there are loads of threads that may have some relevancy 

https://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1263668/pg1
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(06-19-2024, 06:31 PM)putnam6 Wrote: Sometimes when Im bored Ill search old ATS files 

YOU can sometimes find good threads on the waybackmachine that are semi-readable that have research links

Can't seem to get to the archives anymore, but search research and there are loads of threads that may have some relevancy 

i think there was a lots of reasearch links in a thread of its own. in the R.A.T.S forum i think. it was locked for "common" users, but as a "Scholar" i could access it. it was a handy resource.

And @l0st, I think i remember siscussing that search engine of yours way, way back. some of the AI-assisted search engines now, does quite a good job, if you just are critical when it comes to sources then choosing which links to read or use. same as "normal" searcher, but a little faster.
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to achieve.
(06-20-2024, 04:12 AM)DarkSpace Wrote: i think there was a lots of reasearch links in a thread of its own. in the R.A.T.S forum i think. it was locked for "common" users, but as a "Scholar" i could access it. it was a handy resource.

And @l0st, I think i remember siscussing that search engine of yours way, way back. some of the AI-assisted search engines now, does quite a good job, if you just are critical when it comes to sources then choosing which links to read or use. same as "normal" searcher, but a little faster.

I find it difficult to do a plain keyword search with modern search engines. The modern search engines try to discern meaning and return results it thinks you want and this might be effective for everyday users, making it easy for them, but I find it very difficult to research this way. I like to start off with a base search topic or a list of related keywords and continue adding to them as more information is found. I find it nearly impossible to do this now.

I find the AI searches to often get confused and return the opposite of what I am looking for. I suppose I could ask it to search for the opposite, never really tried that.

I think AltaVista was just about perfect for the style of research I like to do.
(06-20-2024, 04:12 AM)DarkSpace Wrote: i think there was a lots of reasearch links in a thread of its own. in the R.A.T.S forum i think. it was locked for "common" users, but as a "Scholar" i could access it. it was a handy resource.

Yeah I was definitely a common user, I'm still hearing old stories about ATS and its inner workings I had no idea about.

I learned more about jet fuel and steel's melting temperature than a man my age and background should ever know. This makes me sentimental though, those were ATS's heydays a monster conspiracy and it seemed like it was neverending. It lost its decorum and tact, and by the time the biggest UFO/UAP news hit the site it had become too politicalized. 

Some of those old threads were pure research "manna", Im just a complete novice but I appreciate the time and effort that went into a lot of the threads.
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(06-20-2024, 03:43 PM)putnam6 Wrote: Yeah I was definitely a common user, I'm still hearing old stories about ATS and its inner workings I had no idea about.

I learned more about jet fuel and steel's melting temperature than a man my age and background should ever know. This makes me sentimental though, those were ATS's heydays a monster conspiracy and it seemed like it was neverending. It lost its decorum and tact, and by the time the biggest UFO/UAP news hit the site it had become too politicalized. 

Some of those old threads were pure research "manna", Im just a complete novice but I appreciate the time and effort that went into a lot of the threads.

You might have liked the Fukushima megathread although I think it disappeared a long time ago. There was a user who was writing a book about the event and lots of research going on. I know the user in question abruptly disappeared. The thread was over 2000 pages as I recall.
(06-20-2024, 04:10 PM)l0st Wrote: You might have liked the Fukushima megathread although I think it disappeared a long time ago. There was a user who was writing a book about the event and lots of research going on. I know the user in question abruptly disappeared. The thread was over 2000 pages as I recall.

Yes that was a classic, I was under the assumption it was all in the Japan thread. It's like the BP thread was off the charts too.
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(06-19-2024, 06:31 PM)putnam6 Wrote: Can't seem to get to the archives anymore, but search research and there are loads of threads that may have some relevancy 

Ha thanks for linking the thread amigo. Beer

When it comes to research threads would say this one from Skyfloating is an absolute corker (links in the initial post are down but lots of very interesting reading anyway).

https://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread440363/pg1
(06-22-2024, 03:16 AM)Karl12 Wrote: Ha thanks for linking the thread amigo. Beer

When it comes to research threads would say this one from Skyfloating is an absolute corker (links in the initial post are down but lots of very interesting reading anyway).

https://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread440363/pg1

Wow, yeah unless it's a completely new phenomenon ATS probably has a good research thread, hell I just read ATS for 2-3 before I even signed up. LOL the first 2-3 years after I rarely would post but would read a lot especially the well research topics
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart