deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Teacher was fired for refusing to call children by their preferred pronouns
(06-15-2024, 02:53 PM)ANNEE Wrote: Thanks for welcoming me.

Hush Hush Secret:  I didn't really take your number idea seriously  Tongue

Not every child is a "student".  Like for my kid -- academia -- is least important compared to self-esteem, socialization, etc.

What is a teacher today?  How much actual "teaching" do they do?  Almost everything is automated and online.

We've all heard "Square Peg -- Round Hole" -- are we finally doing something about it? 

Are we finally accepting we are born who we are -- and not everyone fits the standard social indoctrinations.

I swear most of us spend our lives trying to rid ourselves of the indoctrinations that were forced on us by parents and society. Trying to discover who we really are.

Imagine -- just being allowed "to be" from birth -- discovering your likes and dislikes without being herded into a "box".

And BTW -- I am actually more conservative than that sounds -- but I'm not STUCK in antiquated routines of social acceptability.

"That which is not earned has no value"

And I support school uniforms  Cool

You can't ever tell these days if somebody is going to get my humor or not.

I agree 100 percent different methods for different types of children, but to be effective children of the same types of needs have to be grouped together. If not the teacher winds up scrambling with the different types within thier limited time. 

Respectfully online only works with certain types of students, I'll use ClaudeAI for the bullet points because Ive heard all 3 of the teachers point these problems out. Especially the 2 still working after COVID lockdowns. The consensus they loved online for the ease of use, but it was sorely lacking in different areas for all groups and types of students atleast in thier experience. Perhaps in the future, virtual reality but as it is now, generally the upper to middle-class students have a higher percentage than the other students who struggle to catch up, and it's more difficult to identify when and know why a child is struggling. 

In the report below states that 60% of the students were 1-3 months behind just after the first lockdowns

Here's a report contemporaneous to the lockdowns, that backs up while online has value, in the US we are even close to being set where every child gets equal access and certainly the environment needed to excel at learning. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-0...12-7#Sec16
Quote:Why lockdown and distance learning during the COVID-19 pandemic are likely to increase the social class achievement gapThe research discussed in this article suggests that there are good reasons to predict that this period of school closures will accelerate the reproduction of social inequalities in educational achievement.

By making school learning less dependent on teachers and more dependent on families and digital tools and resources, school closures are likely to greatly amplify social class inequalities.

At a time when many countries are experiencing second, third or fourth waves of the pandemic, resulting in fresh periods of local or general lockdowns, systematic efforts to test these predictions are urgently needed along with steps to reduce the impact of school closures on the social class achievement gap.

https://claude.ai/chat/10eaca4d-f211-4ad...d8756d0785

Quote:Online classes for grades K-12 can work well for some students, but they also present several challenges compared to in-person instruction. Here are some key points about the effectiveness of online learning for K-12 students:
Pros:
  • Flexibility and convenience for students who may have difficulties attending in-person classes due to health issues, travel requirements, or other circumstances.
  • Access to a wider range of course offerings, especially for students in rural areas or those seeking niche subjects.
  • Ability to review recorded lessons and work at one's own pace.
  • Development of important skills like time management, self-motivation, and independent learning.
Cons:
  • Lack of face-to-face interaction and hands-on activities, which can be particularly challenging for younger students and those requiring more guidance.
  • Potential for distractions and lack of structure at home, making it harder for some students to stay focused and engaged.
  • Technological barriers, such as limited access to reliable internet or devices, which can exacerbate educational inequities.
  • Difficulty in replicating the social and emotional learning experiences of a traditional classroom setting.
Overall, the effectiveness of online classes for K-12 students depends on various factors, including the student's age, learning style, self-discipline, and access to support systems. While online learning can be a viable option for some, it may not be ideal for all students, particularly those in the early elementary grades or those who thrive better in a more structured, in-person environment.
Successful implementation often requires significant parental involvement, access to necessary technology, and well-designed online curricula that incorporate interactive elements and opportunities for feedback and support.
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teacher was fired for refusing to call children by their preferred pronouns - by putnam6 - 06-15-2024, 06:55 PM