deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How about an Interesting as HECK thread???
Here's something pretty crazy...

What do the following (9) words have in common?

Month
Silver
Bulb
Wolf
Walrus
Rhythm
Husband
Woman (and)
Purple

Oh, and here's an 10th word..."Orange"

So, what do all these words have in common?

Here's a hint...what is unique about all these words?

The answer is, well, pretty interesting!  (I wish there was a way to do spoiler text so I could obfuscate the answer until someone was ready to peek (like how Reddit does it)).

==============================================================================================================

Here's another, seeing as how we're on the subject of "orange".  Blueberries were named "blueberry" because they were blue, and they were a berry.  So, what about oranges?  Were oranges named an "orange" because they were orange, OR was it oranges which created the name for the color "orange"?

==============================================================================================================

One of our moderator's "favorite" subjects is to post questions about the sport of Soccer and who is best.  I say this in complete jest (....ArMaP)!!!  Lol

But do you know where the iconic black and white patterned color on a soccer ball originated?  I didn't know this.

The ball was created by the Adidas shoe company (this much I kind of knew), and the colored pentagrams are the same colors of Adidas original products (no real surprise there), but that wasn't the reason why.  The first major televised event of soccer was the World Cup held in Mexico in 1970.  Back then color televisions hadn't become mainstream.  Adidas reasoned the ball would be easier to see on a black & white television set, and they were right.  But even more surprising was what was quickly discovered after this creation.  Turns out, the curvature of the ball's path is much easier to spot with a ball colored like this.  In the game of Pool and Billiards we call this "English", or spin on the ball, which causes it to not move in a straight line.  This spin is much easier to detect by players and officials with a black and white patterned ball. 

Soccer balls would never be the same after this.

I did NOT know this!

This one is kind of bizarre.

The tomato was first grown domestically in the early 1500's.  In 1519 the famous or infamous (depending on your perspective) explorer and conquistador, Cortes brought tomato seeds back to Europe to be grown as ornamental plants in his gardens.  In the 1700's some of the wealthy and the royals began to eat the fruit but quickly ceased  because they believed tomatoes to be poisonous.  The reason they thought this is because people would mysteriously die after eating tomatoes.  It took decades for people to realize the people weren't dying from eating the tomatoes themselves (well, they were and they weren't), what they were dying from was lead poisoning.  At the time, much of the elite's flatware as well as the dishes were made from pewter which, at the time, was an alloy of tin and lead.  The acid in the tomatoes leached the lead out of the dishes and flatware and resulted in lethal does of lead. 

Silly humans, tomatoes aren't poisonous!

=============================================================================================================

Edit - and the answers to the 1st and 2nd questions are.....

1. What is "unique" and common between the (10) words is...none of them have another known word in the English language which rhymes with any of these words.  Therefore, they are "unique" in the respect that they don't have a counterpart word which rhymes with them, thus the hint in the question.

2. Which came first, the color "orange", or the fruit orange?  Neither really, but if anything, the fruit.  Turns out the name describes the tree that the orange grows on, and the fruit was named after the tree.  The color was then derived as a result of the fruit's color.  Perhaps even more interesting is "orange" oranges are actually a genetic hybrid.  The very original "oranges" were actually...green!

Who knew?

Messages In This Thread
RE: How about an Interesting as HECK thread??? - by FlyingClayDisk - 07-04-2024, 04:17 PM