deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about an Interesting as HECK thread???
How about a thread on interesting little factoids you been made aware of in life?  You know, a thread of..."Did you know?"...kind of stuff.

I'll start, and please feel free to add yours in...

Did you know...Heinz Ketchup is a Newtonian fluid?  That the recipe was specifically designed to have properties of a Newtonian fluid, and that this was intentional?

You know how ketchup can be notoriously difficult to get out of a ketchup bottle?  Remember the commercials back in the 70's with the little jingle..."An-Tiss-i-Pay-Shun...it's making me wait!"...Well, Heinz (and probably others) realized this so they re-engineered the recipe to create a solution.  Make ketchup a Newtonian fluid.

So what is a Newtonian fluid and why does this matter?  Well, without getting into a bunch of Physics and Chemistry an easy way to explain a Newtonian fluid is a fluid or substance which changes its properties based on exposure to physical energy (in this case shaking).  If you shake a bottle of Heinz ketchup before you pour or squirt it, the ketchup will come out of the bottle much easier.  Shaking the bottle actually changes the 'viscosity' of the ketchup so it pours easier, even when cold.

How many times have we grabbed the squeeze ketchup bottle only to have none come out at first, followed by a fire hose gusher squirting out all over everything?  Too many times, right?  Now try the same thing, but shake the bottle up first and then squirt it...comes out like water, all nice and even and controlled.

When I learned this, I was like..."DOH!!!  Why didn't I know this sooner???"

So now you know...ketchup is a Newtonian fluid!

Just think about how many beers you can win at the bar with this little trivia factoid!  Ask people to name a "common Newtonian fluid?", "KETCHUP!" and...BOOM!...instant free beer! 
Who'da' thunk it??? Lol Lol

Here's another one...

Did you know...jet fuel is not particularly flammable.  Don't try this at home, but if you throw a lit match into a bucket of jet fuel the match will just go out (in most cases).  The reason is because the match doesn't have enough time just above the surface of the jet fuel (refined kerosene) to ignite the fumes, and it's the fumes which burn.  Now, if you instead held the match just 1/8 of an inch above the surface of the fuel, and held it there for a few seconds, it would ignite big time (NOT recommended!).  And definitely don't try this with boiling hot jet fuel either...just sayin'.

Jet fuel, like its counterpart, diesel fuel, has a much higher flashpoint than gasoline does.  And this is why diesel engines have so much higher compression over gas engines, as well as the fuel needing to be atomized during injection into the cylinder, to get it to ignite.

Useless trivia, to be sure.

Messages In This Thread
How about an Interesting as HECK thread??? - by FlyingClayDisk - 06-23-2024, 01:26 PM