deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WHOA!!! Did you see that????
WHOA!!  Someone edited my post over on ATS!!  For REAL!  This wasn't a moderator snipping something from a post...this was someone adding TO my post like it was me saying it!!! 

Forget the topic, but this is the post.  Again, the topic is not the point here, but what IS the point is...the bolded text at the end was not typed by me.  Those are NOT my words!

Holy Cow!!  This is a serious breach of post-integrity!  That is sacred ground you just don't do on a forum...ever!  WOW!!  I am actually stunned!

I brought it to staff's attention here and E1 has (hopefully) escalated it, but WOW, WOW, WOW...not cool at all!

Post-integrity is like completely off the charts in terms of things you don't want to risk on a website, and that is a blatant example of a breach of exactly this! 

I don't even know what to say really.  I am just shocked anyone would go there.

Maybe I should have posted this in the 'Glitches in the Matrix on ATS' thread, but I thought it important enough to post as a stand-alone post.  Mods, feel free to move if you feel this appropriate.
Unfortunately, I don’t think you can ‘forget the topic’, as that topic has by FAR been the most controversial, since it happened on October 7th. In hindsight, it is ironic that ATS went down 12 days after that. Probably a coincidence. However, I do find it interesting after what you’re stating here.

I’ve had my posts snipped before. However, they were only REMOVING words, and never ADDING entire paragraphs. I concur captain, this is a huge deal for anyone wishing to continue there.
At least you managed to post on ATS about it as a heads-up to others.

Seriously, walk away, the place is becoming a slimy shadow of it's former self.

I also don't think DTOM can help you any more because of the limited access to functionality.

Best case scenario, your thread and post that was edited will be removed.

Be calm, the world still turns regardless.

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
(06-23-2024, 10:33 AM)Nerb Wrote: At least you managed to post on ATS about it as a heads-up to others.

Seriously, walk away, the place is becoming a slimy shadow of it's former self.

I also don't think DTOM can help you any more because of the limited access to functionality.

Best case scenario, your thread and post that was edited will be removed.

Be calm, the world still turns regardless.

My post about the event (in Board Business) has since been moved to the Trash Bin, and the explanation I have received so far is not acceptable (to me).  Perhaps they will do more investigation, but perhaps they are unable to investigate further.  My post (where the event occurred) has now been edited back to its original (i.e. what I really did type).  This was per my request, so no shenanigans there, but also no further forensics (unfortunately) either.  The explanation provided was that testing on test threads showed consistent 'edited by' trails, and mine showed I was the last one to edit.  But I know for a fact I didn't type those words simply because I would not have typed those words.  It was obvious from reading them that it wasn't my words, it wasn't even my typing style or lexicon.  Plus, the added words were almost a 'reply' to my topic, and were actively rebutting what I was saying.  Seriously...why would I go back and edit my post only to rebut my own statements?  I would effectively be arguing with myself, and that makes zero sense.

(06-23-2024, 10:24 AM)KKLoco Wrote: Unfortunately, I don’t think you can ‘forget the topic’, as that topic has by FAR been the most controversial, since it happened on October 7th. In hindsight, it is ironic that ATS went down 12 days after that. Probably a coincidence. However, I do find it interesting after what you’re stating here.

I’ve had my posts snipped before. However, they were only REMOVING words, and never ADDING entire paragraphs. I concur captain, this is a huge deal for anyone wishing to continue there.

Likewise, I have had posts snipped before (many), but in all of those instances it was clear who snipped the post (usually with an explanation in the edit box).  Never, ever, have I had a post edited to ADD words that I didn't say. 

I don't mind if people wish to rebut a statement I make in a reply, but to actually re-word someone's post to say something different (especially what the edit said) is completely unacceptable and a VERY serious matter indeed.
(06-23-2024, 09:14 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: WHOA!!  Someone edited my post over on ATS!!  For REAL!  This wasn't a moderator snipping something from a post...this was someone adding TO my post like it was me saying it!!! 

Forget the topic, but this is the post.  Again, the topic is not the point here, but what IS the point is...the bolded text at the end was not typed by me.  Those are NOT my words!

Holy Cow!!  This is a serious breach of post-integrity!  That is sacred ground you just don't do on a forum...ever!  WOW!!  I am actually stunned!

I brought it to staff's attention here and E1 has (hopefully) escalated it, but WOW, WOW, WOW...not cool at all!

Post-integrity is like completely off the charts in terms of things you don't want to risk on a website, and that is a blatant example of a breach of exactly this! 

Maybe I should have posted this in the 'Glitches in the Matrix on ATS' thread, but I thought it important enough to post as a stand-alone post.  Mods, feel free to move if you feel this appropriate.

I seen that.

Completely unacceptable and I certainly hope we out whoever did it, as they aren't fit to be a mod, anywhere, period IMO.

I want to know who it was...that's f'n brutal...
(06-23-2024, 11:07 AM)MykeNukem Wrote: I seen that.

Completely unacceptable and I certainly hope we out whoever did it, as they aren't fit to be a mod, anywhere, period IMO.

I want to know who it was...that's f'n brutal...

Well, it's pretty clear to me (now) that something nefarious is going on at ATS.  That someone could do that and not leave a trace is very, very, troubling.  The content of the edit wasn't the end of the world, but it was definitely something I would never advocate and totally not something I even believe in.  Why would I write something like that??? 

The more important takeaway from this is that something like this can happen at all!  That's like the Golden Rule of golden rules...and you just don't break it, not ever.

It's one thing to 'snip' a post if a moderator feels the poster said something in violation of the T&C's but where the rest of the post is relevant.  That's fine.  But it's a whole other matter to add words, to manipulate someone's post, to change the meaning to something other than what the poster said.  WOW!

I am still in shock.

As Nerb said, 'the world still turns' and he's right, it does.  It may be turning without ATS (now), but it still turns. 

I haven't decided what I want to do about this yet.

(06-23-2024, 10:24 AM)KKLoco Wrote: Unfortunately, I don’t think you can ‘forget the topic’, as that topic has by FAR been the most controversial, ...

My point was that the topic (of the thread) wasn't the point, but rather that the edited post was the point.  I didn't want to have the topic (of the thread) distract from what had happened, and distract this conversation.
(06-23-2024, 09:14 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: WHOA!!  Someone edited my post over on ATS!!  For REAL!  This wasn't a moderator snipping something from a post...this was someone adding TO my post like it was me saying it!!! 

I agree , it`s serious breach . For some time now i had feeling it`s not secure site anymore .
Like I said, considering the topic, there is a very good chance of foul play here. That’s why I believe the topic is important. BTW, I’ve never posted once about that particular topic, so I have no stake in this game. 

To play a little devils advocate. Do you remember me telling you that I went to edit one of my posts (days before I was locked out). When I hit the edit button, it created an entirely new post. This was not user error. It happened. Maybe the back end is getting even more fucked up from lack of maintenance. My question is, is it possible for a mod to edit a post without it showing them personally as editing it? Not sure that’s even possible unless it was done by an admin.

BTW, I saw your post asking for a password reset on ATS. DO NOT do this! Unless you want today to be your last day having access there.
(06-23-2024, 11:55 AM)Kenzo Wrote: I agree , it`s serious breach . For some time now i had feeling it`s not secure site anymore .

That was a real eye-opener for me, that's for sure.  For the life of me I can't understand why someone would do something so blatant like that.  I mean if a person wanted to clandestinely change a post's meaning, they'd go in and change one or two words and then vanish.  They wouldn't go in and add entire paragraphs to a post, in a completely different writing style, rebutting statements earlier in the same post.  It's way too obvious.  And anyone with a lick of sense would realize how serious of an issue something like that is.  Again, it's not 'what' was said, it's much more about that something like that could happen at all!  It would effectively be forum-suicide for any staff member to do something like this. 

I realize I make some controversial posts sometimes, and I realize that not everyone agrees with me all the time.  That's okay, I don't expect everyone to agree with me all the time, just like I don't expect to agree with...everyone...all the time.  I wouldn't want the World to be like that, where everyone agrees with everyone else all the time.  How boring of a place that would be, right?  I try to post things which make people think.  They don't have to agree with me, but at least think about it.  On ATS I actively seek out people I don't agree with on certain subjects just to read their posts and try to understand their point of view, to see if I'm missing something. 

I would be lying if I said I haven't adjusted my position on more than one occasion by reading some of these opposing posts on ATS.  In short, I saw I was wrong (imagine that!)  This is one of the things I love about ATS (and hopefully here too); intelligent people with the ability to articulate what is on their mind's without interference.  But...when someone stoops the level of editing someone else's post whose opinion they don't like, to say something other than what the person said, well, that's a level I will not go to.  But I've never wanted to change what someone else said.  That's off the low-end of the dishonesty spectrum, just from a principle standpoint if nothing else.

Just WOW!

(06-23-2024, 12:17 PM)KKLoco Wrote: Like I said, considering the topic, there is a very good chance of foul play here. That’s why I believe the topic is important. BTW, I’ve never posted once about that particular topic, so I have no stake in this game.

I see your point now; I wasn't reading it that way the first time.  My bad.

(06-23-2024, 12:17 PM)KKLoco Wrote: To play a little devils advocate. Do you remember me telling you that I went to edit one of my posts (days before I was locked out). When I hit the edit button, it created an entirely new post. This was not user error. It happened. Maybe the back end is getting even more fucked up from lack of maintenance. My question is, is it possible for a mod to edit a post without it showing them personally as editing it? Not sure that’s even possible unless it was done by an admin.

Weill if I understood the explanation I received correctly, they were saying this is not possible.  I can't say I've personally ever seen an example of this either; mine was the first time I'd seen anything like this (i.e. where the 'edited by' tag was either incorrect or missing altogether). 

(06-23-2024, 12:17 PM)KKLoco Wrote: BTW, I saw your post asking for a password reset on ATS. DO NOT do this! Unless you want today to be your last day having access there.

Is that a getting spanked, like "Bad Boy!" type thing, or do you mean something else?  I didn't really ask for that, I only asked if it was possible.  Plus, I didn't say where to send that password in my request anyway.  If you recall, the next sentence after that was about 'someone' (you, though I didn't use your name) losing access after attempting the same, and that's exactly why I asked.  It's also I said in reply to Xenchen, in the same thread, that password changes were "forum suicide" on ATS.  So, am I misunderstanding you here?  Or, are we saying the same thing?

edit --- Let me say that last part a different way, in the form of a question instead...  You are saying changing your password to anything other than the reset password sent by DTOM causes you to get locked out, correct?  And that from there, there is no recovery method?  This is what I understood from your previous posts in the "Matrix glitch" thread.
Well, DTOM answered my question in your thread. It’s not possible for a mod to edit without it showing whomever edited it in the ‘edited by:’ section.

Which means we have three possibilities:

1. Some unknown person has administrative access, to alter anything they want on the back end. We know this is possible, due to everything Darko did last year.

2. A hacker has gained control of the back end. And for some reason are  spending their time trying to alter the narrative of the site.

3. Another glitch in the matrix. Things are so screwed up on the back end, that ATS cannot differentiate between users.

I do not have an opinion yet. Interesting to see how this plays out.

ETA: Yes, I knew you were referring to me in that thread. I don’t think you were misunderstanding me. You know what’s going on. There are no password resets, or newly created accounts. So yes, don’t do a password reset, unless you’re done with the place.