deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Starlink anyone got it ?
(04-15-2024, 07:00 PM)montana Wrote: I have a Starlink setup that I take along in my rv. I pay a little more per month for the rv service, but the plus side is that service can be paused if I'm not using it for a month or two. 

Starlink works great everywhere I have been, but yes, it needs a clear spot. The antenna has a steerable phased array apparently. Once it finds itself it seldom moves. It is also heated to melt any snow accumulation. Speed does reduce with heavy clouds, but is still usable unlike Dish TV.

Overall I am really happy with it. The only real downer is the twisted pair antenna cable has easily broken wires. However, ethernet adapters are available. Just get some and some heavy cat6 and you're good to go.

Thanks for that sage advice!  Thumbup
That's really good to know!

I have set the idea of going "Starlink" as one of my... "Indefinitely suspended plans" (you know, 'would if I could' sort of stuff)
This is one thing I will tuck away for the "appropriate time" ... (you know, 'will if I can' sort of thing.)  Tongue
(03-22-2024, 05:41 PM)quintessentone Wrote: Following this thread as I too am considering switching to Starlink, but I am reading good and bad reviews.

I've had StarLink for home for quite some time.  Area I live in I could get crappy DSL that topped out at 30MB.  I was on the waitlist for a year or so, been on about 1.5 years.  For us it has been awesome, although not really a fan of giving Musk any money.
(04-19-2024, 12:11 PM)mzinga1 Wrote: I've had StarLink for home for quite some time.  Area I live in I could get crappy DSL that topped out at 30MB.  I was on the waitlist for a year or so, been on about 1.5 years.  For us it has been awesome, although not really a fan of giving Musk any money.

My issue is paying extra for additional cables/equipment that some people say is a must for the home and another issue is my home is surrounded by tall trees, so my window of catching satellite signals is lessened I would imagine. I really don't know if it's better for receiving cell tower signals is better than receiving satellite signals in my situation (surrounded by tall trees). Anyone ?
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(04-19-2024, 12:34 PM)quintessentone Wrote: I just had to get a longer cable and then plugged it into a mesh.  Really wasn't a big deal, was like $40 for the cable and was good to go.

My issue is paying extra for additional cables/equipment that some people say is a must for the home and another issue is my home is surrounded by tall trees, so my window of catching satellite signals is lessened I would imagine. I really don't know if it's better for receiving cell tower signals is better than receiving satellite signals in my situation (surrounded by tall trees). Anyone ?

(04-19-2024, 12:34 PM)quintessentone Wrote: Obstructions can be a big deal for sure.  All depends on where you can put your receiver.  I had some initial issues, but found a spot with zero.  Trees for sure do obstruct, it isn't like cell service it does require LOS.

(04-19-2024, 01:55 PM)mzinga1 Wrote:
Exactly, line of sight (LOS) seems to be an issue that I am not willing to test by purchasing the Starlink system to find out.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(04-19-2024, 05:00 PM)quintessentone Wrote: Exactly, line of sight (LOS) seems to be an issue that I am not willing to test by purchasing the Starlink system to find out.

Try downloading the Starlink app first. It has a check for obstructions routine. You will probably have to make an account with Starlink, but you should be able to use it without purchasing anything.

Also, with the ethernet adapter you can have the dish a long way away from the router.
(04-20-2024, 11:35 PM)montana Wrote: Try downloading the Starlink app first. It has a check for obstructions routine. You will probably have to make an account with Starlink, but you should be able to use it without purchasing anything.

Also, with the ethernet adapter you can have the dish a long way away from the router.

Since reading one story about a couple in the same situation as we are, that being, surrounded by trees, they had to call in an independent install company which did find a LOS path through the trees, otherwise the couple were planning to cut down trees. 

I also just read that Elon/Starlink is looking into using lazer technology as a means for the signals to reach the receivers. I'm not so sure this would more or less harmful for the environment, animals and us than their present means of delivery.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
I have a friend who has it - as does their neighbor.

Apparently the “home” system works OK but you really want the “business” connection. It’s spendy but apparently fast and reliable - or at least orders of magnitudes better than anything else you can get in a rural area.

The satellite panel can be mounted or sand bagged to the roof. They tried the sandbag first but it wasn’t great so they (and their neighors) hard mounted it. That seemed to have helped improved stability about (though they aren’t fully certain there isn’t some placebo in that).

I have also thought about getting it as a backup. But, from what I’m
gathering, high speed internet from say Comcast - particularly if you have the highest end speed - is wildly better. At least at this stage in Sterlink’s evolution.
(04-21-2024, 09:51 AM)VulcanWerks Wrote: I have a friend who has it - as does their neighbor.

Apparently the “home” system works OK but you really want the “business” connection. It’s spendy but apparently fast and reliable - or at least orders of magnitudes better than anything else you can get in a rural area.

The satellite panel can be mounted or sand bagged to the roof. They tried the sandbag first but it wasn’t great so they (and their neighors) hard mounted it. That seemed to have helped improved stability about (though they aren’t fully certain there isn’t some placebo in that).

I have also thought about getting it as a backup. But, from what I’m
gathering, high speed internet from say Comcast - particularly if you have the highest end speed - is wildly better. At least at this stage in Sterlink’s evolution.

Exactly, in a forested rural setting someone, not any of us because we are older, would have to climb up on the old TV antennae tower and mount it on there. Then there is still no guarantee we'd find a line of sight.

(03-24-2024, 12:03 AM)Kenzo Wrote: Nobody seem to be worrying about the dangers of  radiation emitted by starlink to earth .

Electromagnetic radiation emitted from Starlink dishes sickens and kills pets and wildlife

Yes, I've noticed that too. Absolutely nobody seems to care about any of the dangers related to this technology and now Starlink is looking into using lazer beams to Earth. I guess having the technology trumps any dangers involved and nobody wants to know.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(04-22-2024, 06:40 AM)quintessentone Wrote: Exactly, in a forested rural setting someone, not any of us because we are older, would have to climb up on the old TV antennae tower and mount it on there. Then there is still no guarantee we'd find a line of sight.

Yes, I've noticed that too. Absolutely nobody seems to care about any of the dangers related to this technology and now Starlink is looking into using lazer beams to Earth. I guess having the technology trumps any dangers involved and nobody wants to know.

My internet setup is with 4G , i buyed 250FT  ( about 76 meter ) direct burial ethernet cable which now is in-ground . The 4G antenna is in mast about 8-9 meter high . Usually have 80-90 mbps download speed . The 4G antenna is about 65 meter from house ...this way i wont the get the radiation , which would be very high if had the antenna in house. The distance to cell tower is about 4.9 kilometers .....runs good / cant complain .

Just to give an alternative .....ol 4G can still work . I dont have 5G here , it would give even greater speed i think , thought 5G is also more radiation, so i prefer 4G more .

I do not know can you use long CAT6 ethernet with starlink . If can , you could set the starling antenna up to 100 meter from house , maybe even longer ....to maybe find spot where trees wont block the starlink antenna . But it have to be outdoor direct burial CAT5/6   cable to survive weather .