deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sleeping - Important in yet another way
Restful sleep seems everyone's aim.  There's no denying that at times when you wake up you sometimes feel "especially" rested.  Your mood may not change, your aches and pains will reassert themselves, but somehow... you feel better.  This article might speak to why.

Multiple sources based upon a paper in Nature:   Neuronal dynamics direct cerebrospinal fluid perfusion and brain clearance
But an easier read is from ArsTechnica: Sleeping more flushes junk out of the brain

Sleep is something like a soft reboot. We knew that slow brainwaves had something to do with restful sleep; researchers at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have now found out why. When we are awake, our neurons require energy to fuel complex tasks such as problem-solving and committing things to memory. The problem is that debris gets left behind after they consume these nutrients. As we sleep, neurons use these rhythmic waves to help move cerebrospinal fluid through brain tissue, carrying out metabolic waste in the process.

Additionally, it is interesting to note that the substances which get eliminated during sleep have been associated with Alzheimer's.

Everything these neurons do creates metabolic waste, often in the form of protein fragments. Other studies have found that these fragments may contribute to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.

The brain has to dispose of its garbage somehow, and it does this through what’s called the glymphatic system (no, that’s not a typo), which carries cerebrospinal fluid that moves debris out of the parenchyma through channels located near blood vessels. However, that still left the questions: What actually powers the glymphatic system to do this—and how? The WUSTL team wanted to find out.

Researchers had some interesting experiences discovering that certain anesthesia practices actually affect the efficiency of the process... Nice to see their open-minded enough to be sensitive to the fact that "how" one researches certain phenomenon can actually affect the results of your experiments.  A comforting thought for me.
I am lucky if I get six hours of sleep a night.  When I do sleep well, I wind up on my back and it causes me to have a sore neck and accompanying headache and brainfog for many hours of the next day.  So I usually wake up before six thirty in the morning every day and go to sleep after twelve every night.  I have had quite a few injuries to my neck and back over the years, this has been my life for over thirty years now.

I do get up to go pee a couple of times a night too, but that makes it so I turn plus move my neck around so I do not get that neck ache from laying down too long.  My kidneys do seem to do good, I am detoxing at night, I do urinate a lot when I go.  Because I get up, it is good, so I don't complain about that.  If I don't get up, headache city.

That's life, seems that sometimes things you assume are bad turn out to be good if you evaluate things properly.  I would guess that those headaches every day would be bad on the brain too.
Melatonin helps brain detoxification

Melatonin Is Important for Brain Detoxification

There is wide spread saying that melatonin is the hormone of darkness . But that is not the whole truth . Only about 10 % is made in pineal gland which is in brain , and close to 90% is made as subcellural other parts of body . Getting sun exposure is great way to get body greate the subcellural melatonin . Can also do with NIR , Near Infrared Light Therapy , even sitting next to fire do it .
I don't sleep well.  Trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, going back to sleep.
I hate dreaming.  I wish I could sleep without dreams.  
In dreams you aren't in control and they are so stupid, and sometimes disturbing.
They set the mood for the next day, the emotions from them linger.
Hate dreams.  Really do.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(04-15-2024, 02:37 PM)Maxmars Wrote:  Nice to see their open-minded enough to be sensitive to the fact that "how" one researches certain phenomenon can actually affect the results of your experiments.  A comforting thought for me.

Just grabbing this one sentence of yours to add a bit of information... mainly that it's well known among researchers that how one researches affects the results.  When you go for a Masters' (and emphasized in the PhD programs) you learn to assess types of problems and which types of data gathering and research (both philosophical approaches AND design approaches) work with certain questions and which don't.

As a side note, I'm consulting with a group of psychologists studying fan culture and have helped them modify their approach to the study based on cultural factors that don't ever appear in psychology studies of this type (big change is that they were unaware of how the Internet changed fan culture.)
You have to be careful with gummy melatonin supplements if you have kids.  There has been many cases of Serotonen syndrome in kids lately from them eating the gummies meant for adults.  So if you take these supplements and have kids, make sure to have them stored properly so they cannot get hold of them.

Our brains do make long term memories during deep sleep too, so if you are doing research or studying things you would like to make stick, do that before going to sleep and you will need about two hours of deep sleep to set a permanent memory.  Now there are two kinds of sleep, the first part is where you are not in Rem, you organize the information and translate it by what you have already known from youth.  You may have witnessed a squirrel doing something and relate the new information to that event...that is an example I just made up hastily.  When you see a squirrel or try to think of it later on, the squirrel pathway of knowledge is used to retrieve the memory.   We do this without even thinking about it, most people can't comprehend how this association is happening.  It will lead to strange dreams sometimes in the end of the first state which might carry on into Rem as it is sorted and made into memories.

I am trying to translate what I read into layman's terms, so it might sound kind of whacky.

Is this true?  Don't really know, the researchers might be interpreting the evidence a little wrong but once I learned of this over five years ago I have tried to see if it is relevant and it does seem relevent to some extent.  Remember that when we eat something it often sends out a craving for a companion food that helps to detox it or increases the good effects of the food.  This is also deep rooted knowledge.  I studied old cookbooks and found some stuff out when doing so.  The meal plans seemed to combine lots of companion chemistry and timing of consumption of some things was built into the diet to promote proper mental and physical health.  They now tossed out many hundreds of years of passed on and improved over generation knowledge in the name of misapplied science...because those scientists believe they are smarter than our ancestors.  Take for instance the old quack boxes like the montgomery wards medical box I have that gives you a shock...cut down and called a quack box yet now they have developed the TENS machine for medical use...which is basically the exact same kind of treatment.  Like any medical treatment, the TENS machine can work if used on the right diagnosis, and can cause side effects if used for the wrong condition.

I would not suggest having someone hold onto the electrode of my medical box while having sex with someone holding on the other electrode.  I lent my box to a coworker who did that with his girlfriend, at low power it was beneficial, at high power they said it was a little strong but it was humorous and exciting.  I did wash my machine thoroughly when I got it back after finding they were experimenting with it, no telling where those electrodes were at. Lol

You have to be careful with gummy melatonin supplements if you have kids.  There has been many cases of Serotonen syndrome in kids lately from them eating the gummies meant for adults.  So if you take these supplements and have kids, make sure to have them stored properly so they cannot get hold of them.

Our brains do make long term memories during deep sleep too, so if you are doing research or studying things you would like to make stick, do that before going to sleep and you will need about two hours of deep sleep to set a permanent memory.  Now there are two kinds of sleep, the first part is where you are not in Rem, you organize the information and translate it by what you have already known from youth.  You may have witnessed a squirrel doing something and relate the new information to that event...that is an example I just made up hastily.  When you see a squirrel or try to think of it later on, the squirrel pathway of knowledge is used to retrieve the memory.   We do this without even thinking about it, most people can't comprehend how this association is happening.  It will lead to strange dreams sometimes in the end of the first state which might carry on into Rem as it is sorted and made into memories.

I am trying to translate what I read into layman's terms, so it might sound kind of whacky.

Is this true?  Don't really know, the researchers might be interpreting the evidence a little wrong but once I learned of this over five years ago I have tried to see if it is relevant and it does seem relevent to some extent.  Remember that when we eat something it often sends out a craving for a companion food that helps to detox it or increases the good effects of the food.  This is also deep rooted knowledge.  I studied old cookbooks and found some stuff out when doing so.  The meal plans seemed to combine lots of companion chemistry and timing of consumption of some things was built into the diet to promote proper mental and physical health.  They now tossed out many hundreds of years of passed on and improved over generation knowledge in the name of misapplied science...because those scientists believe they are smarter than our ancestors.  Take for instance the old quack boxes like the montgomery wards medical box I have that gives you a shock...cut down and called a quack box yet now they have developed the TENS machine for medical use...which is basically the exact same kind of treatment.  Like any medical treatment, the TENS machine can work if used on the right diagnosis, and can cause side effects if used for the wrong condition.

I would not suggest having someone hold onto the electrode of my medical box while having sex with someone holding on the other electrode.  I lent my box to a coworker who did that with his girlfriend, at low power it was beneficial, at high power they said it was a little strong but it was humorous and exciting.  I did wash my machine thoroughly when I got it back after finding they were experimenting with it, no telling where those electrodes were at. Lol

The seventies were a fun time
I have ptsd.

It is rare I have a night without nightmares waking me several times a night.

I used to go days without sleeping. 

I feel I have had considerable cognitive decline.

I guess it’s more than just a feeling if this is true.
I'm coming up on decades of some weird sleep issues.  The symptoms and causes are lost in a cloud of well-intentioned suggestions and informative advice.  The end of the tale is simple for me.  Cope.

Holistic approaches, psychiatric chemistry, new-age quasi-spiritualism, everyone has taken their shot at 'fixing' this issue.  You know what?  I am becoming of a mind to accept that "it ain't broke."  That it's just the way I have to live. 

Holistic methods sicken me nearly immediately, psychiatric methods sicken me even worse over time, the new age approach does nothing at all... I found myself just 'going along' with it, despite it being fully unsatisfactory (though I had to completely reject chemistry as a solution... down that path was true madness.)

When I was younger, I couldn't simply 'give in' to my inability to manage "normal" sleep.  I had a job, I had kids, I had a wife who needed me functional. I coped.  It wasn't exactly pretty.

But I am much older now, and I can feel comfortable saying "I'll sleep when sleep comes," or "I'll awaken when I awaken... deal with it!"  I have found that haven gotten to that place in my life where this is not such a bad thing... despite the demands of 'scheduled' life.

Melatonin was not a good thing to me.  I urge caution whenever anyone brings it up... not that it might be good for others... I am jealous.
(04-17-2024, 12:15 AM)Kenzo Wrote: Melatonin helps brain detoxification

Melatonin Is Important for Brain Detoxification

There is wide spread saying that melatonin is the hormone of darkness . But that is not the whole truth . Only about 10 % is made in pineal gland which is in brain , and close to 90% is made as subcellural other parts of body . Getting sun exposure is great way to get body greate the subcellural melatonin . Can also do with NIR , Near Infrared Light Therapy , even sitting next to fire do it .

I love melatonin sleep great, but damn the funky dreams. Off the chart funky dreams ones where I wake up like what the hell.
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
Make the mindset shift to value and priority sleep and rest.

Life is very busy these days. Very.

Activity is valued… by others.

Sleep and rest are personal. Focus on you and find sleep as an escape of sorts. Prioritize it and look forward to it.

With that shift in mindset I can maybe get 7.5 hours.

Also, sleep cold if you can.