deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More Glitches in the ATS Matrix
(06-17-2024, 03:02 PM)ArMaP Wrote: That's my understanding too, that they originally owned their own equipment, but I think that, as things started to get worse, there were some kind of cost cuttings that included some kind of changes in the servers and hosting.

Supposedly it was "moved" post sale. I don't know if that means they relocated a rack of hardware or if the operation got virtualized and hosted elsewhere. SO had said that there was a RAID array and multiple frontend machines. Since it was a commercial op may well have dedicated DB servers as well but this is mostly speculation on my part.
(06-17-2024, 03:02 PM)ArMaP Wrote: That's my understanding too, that they originally owned their own equipment, but I think that, as things started to get worse, there were some kind of cost cuttings that included some kind of changes in the servers and hosting.

I think it was more about the cost of expanding rather than saving.

I think the server hosting changed when a certain person realised that more data space was a prtivate cost issue and it was moved to a hosting company many years ago. All the image and data storage, features and bells and whistles incorporated meant it was too expensive to keep buying and implimenting more owned hardware.

I remember looking up the server host many years ago in a "I don't trust ATS" phase and I don't think it had changed since then. Arizona.

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
(06-18-2024, 01:57 AM)Nerb Wrote: I remember looking up the server host many years ago in a "I don't trust ATS" phase and I don't think it had changed since then. Arizona.

It could be in the same place but change from dedicated servers to shared servers, for example.
(06-18-2024, 07:02 AM)ArMaP Wrote: It could be in the same place but change from dedicated servers to shared servers, for example.

I tend to use VPSs as frontends and host my own storage as that's usually the expensive piece to lease beyond data usage. I wouldn't be surprised if similar changes had been made as VPS wasn't really a thing when ATS first went online.
yeah, the servers were originally hosted in GB. i remember discussing the move with... i think simon, or was it william, godess. it has been so long and my memory is *censored* :P
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to achieve.
(06-19-2024, 11:01 AM)DarkSpace Wrote: yeah, the servers were originally hosted in GB. i remember discussing the move with... i think simon, or was it william, godess. it has been so long and my memory is *censored* :P

Last I heard they are in Scottsdale, AZ. No one can figure out why they are still paying for them. It makes zero sense.
(06-19-2024, 11:35 AM)KKLoco Wrote: Last I heard they are in Scottsdale, AZ. No one can figure out why they are still paying for them. It makes zero sense.

yeah, it's weird. Only ting i can think of, is that it is automatically. since i only could read the relevant thread on ATS, i couldn't actually ask, or anything really. and the registrar is really weird too.
(06-19-2024, 11:39 AM)DarkSpace Wrote: yeah, it's weird. Only ting i can think of, is that it is automatically. since i only could read the relevant thread on ATS, i couldn't actually ask, or anything really. and the registrar is really weird too.

I’m pretty sure the server fees were due in March. The domain renewed in May. No one knows why they are still paying for it, as they have abandoned the place. It is sad. Especially, considering that there are people willing to purchase it.
(06-19-2024, 12:11 PM)KKLoco Wrote: I’m pretty sure the server fees were due in March. The domain renewed in May. No one knows why they are still paying for it, as they have abandoned the place. It is sad. Especially, considering that there are people willing to purchase it.

yeah,  march 22 if i remember correctly.  at least that was when it happened back in '22 if i remember correctly-.
not sure where it is hosted now.. should be on multiple mirrors anyway. 10 grand a month.. its mindboggeling really.
(06-19-2024, 12:17 PM)DarkSpace Wrote: yeah,  march 22 if i remember correctly.  at least that was when it happened back in '22 if i remember correctly-.
not sure where it is hosted now.. should be on multiple mirrors anyway. 10 grand a month.. its mindboggeling really.

If it's a proper commercial op on the backend then the hosting fees are no surprise. My understanding is the infrastructure was built to handle an amount of traffic the site no longer has, but did at one time.

If I had purchased it, the first thing I would do is scale it back to current traffic levels. For the small amount of traffic the place seems to have now it could probably be run on a couple standalone boxes.

Also, there was discussion that the operation was sold off in pieces, so maybe Darko & Co only bought the forum and moved it to something much cheaper to operate. Who knows? It's all speculation really.

I used to rent a half rack in St. Louis on 10Mbps tier-2 w/ 1TB data transfer/mth for around $500/mth but there was about $50K worth of owned equipment inside it. If you pay an MSP to do it then the costs are substantially higher. It's not just $500/mth though because in 5 years or so, you'll probably need to replace most/all of it, so those operating costs need to be amortized. If you get a spike in traffic, the overage fees can be ludicrous. This was ages ago now though.

It sounds like they were paying for all the development and whatnot to 3rd party contractors. That's $$$. I can do all that myself.