Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking for information on this NOTAM Potential loss of life Radiation Hazard
Where's Zaphod did he make it to DI?

https://x.com/sentdefender/status/174603...85533?s=20

OSINTdefender

@sentdefender
Subscribe
A Notice to Air Missions (NOTAM) has been released by the Federal Aviation Administration for Kwajalein Atoll within the Marshall Islands in the Central Pacific on December 28th till January 31st, with the Notice stating that there is a Potential for Loss of Life due to Radiation Hazards for any Aircraft which operates from above the Water Level within the Zone; however it is currently Unknown what has caused this NOTAM.

[Image: GDstLIsXMAANgH-?format=jpg&name=large]
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
Quote:In March of 2020 the United States Space Force (USSF) declared operational acceptance and initial operational capability of the Space Fence radar on the Kwajalein Atoll in the Republic of the Marshall Islands. 
Space Fence Test?
(01-13-2024, 01:36 AM)MBSC Wrote: Space Fence Test?
Could be but what about the radiation hazard, is it real or is that a ruse to keep spying eyes away. 

FWIW sounds as if they turned this on, and are seeing so many more objects in LEO
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
It's because radar puts out radiation (RF, EMF is radiation).  They close a corridor for all tests like that.  I don't follow space fence, but it is likely some radar or another out there.

Unless the plane gets painted directly with a very high powered radar, there isn't much risk, but there is always some concern with overlapping communication frequencies or hardware. It's just a prudent caution rather than some major risk.

I can see from the warning that it is very specific to close range and orientation to the runway.  That tells me they have something emitting along that path and probably not something too powerful, but up close could be hazardous.
(01-15-2024, 10:42 AM)Halfswede Wrote: It's because radar puts out radiation (RF, EMF is radiation).  They close a corridor for all tests like that.  I don't follow space fence, but it is likely some radar or another out there.

Unless the plane gets painted directly with a very high powered radar, there isn't much risk, but there is always some concern with overlapping communication frequencies or hardware. It's just a prudent caution rather than some major risk.

I can see from the warning that it is very specific to close range and orientation to the runway.  That tells me they have something emitting along that path and probably not something too powerful, but up close could be hazardous.

Yeah I don't follow these notices enough except on one podcast where the vast majority of these are space operations or airshows. It's first time Ive ever seen radiation or potential loss of life mentioned
(01-16-2024, 08:07 AM)putnam6 Wrote: Yeah I don't follow these notices enough except on one podcast where the vast majority of these are space operations or airshows. It's first time Ive ever seen radiation or potential loss of life mentioned

I have followed various other tests at Kwaj and at sea, so I can say with some confidence that it is normal.  It does sound scary though and that is because it could be serious and quick.  Birds that fly in the directed beam of a decent radar will not fare well, so it's still very prudent to keep people from doing the same thing. This one seemed to be focused on planes approaching the island rather than very far away or at high altitude.

Think of it like a "don't look at the laser" warning. You are basically fine around it until you are facing the wrong direction for a second and you aren't, so the language is serious.