deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"LiteracyPen," a promising new device
This should be interesting and possibly very good device to help those who struggle to learn reading and writing.

Prompted by the clarion call to eliminate illiteracy, these two organizations are launching a new 'product'... 
(The fact that it is, or will be, a product to be 'marketed,' Inclines me to take the stated benefits with a grain of salt.  On its surface this might be an example of 'press-release' journalism.  But still I thought it sounded cool, and wondered if it will work and be accessible to common folk.)

From TheNextWeb.com: This ‘literacy pen’ instantly teaches you to read and write

The World Literacy Foundation and Dutch marketing firm Media.Monks have teamed up to create a pen designed to help millions of people around the world grappling with illiteracy.  

The device, dubbed Literacy Pen, is compatible with any standard pen or pencil. Users slip the device onto the pen and then speak their desired words into the built-in microphone.

Voice dictation technology then transcribes these words, letter by letter, onto a digital screen built-in to the device. The user can then copy the words they see onto paper all using the one pen.

[Image: image?fit=1280%2C720&url=https%3A%2F%2Fc...3a6d699ce0]
(04-09-2024, 01:24 AM)Maxmars Wrote: This should be interesting and possibly very good device to help those who struggle to learn reading and writing.

Prompted by the clarion call to eliminate illiteracy, these two organizations are launching a new 'product'... 
(The fact that it is, or will be, a product to be 'marketed,' Inclines me to take the stated benefits with a grain of salt.  On its surface this might be an example of 'press-release' journalism.  But still I thought it sounded cool, and wondered if it will work and be accessible to common folk.)

From TheNextWeb.com: This ‘literacy pen’ instantly teaches you to read and write

The World Literacy Foundation and Dutch marketing firm Media.Monks have teamed up to create a pen designed to help millions of people around the world grappling with illiteracy.  

The device, dubbed Literacy Pen, is compatible with any standard pen or pencil. Users slip the device onto the pen and then speak their desired words into the built-in microphone.

Voice dictation technology then transcribes these words, letter by letter, onto a digital screen built-in to the device. The user can then copy the words they see onto paper all using the one pen.

[Image: https://img-cdn.tnwcdn.com/image?fit=128...3a6d699ce0]

No, sorry, that is definitely an Illiteracy Pen, because that process means that misconstructions based on mispronunciations and misunderstandings won't be challenged. That is already how the modern generation of non-readers have turned "one and the same" into the meaningless "one in the same", and mangled the language in other ways. Everything will be writtten in some phonetic form of local dialect, and communication will be downgraded further.
When I taught my children to read and write phonetically there many nuances of sound and variations that also had to be taught, such as their/there and hard vowels vs. soft vowels along with pictures, etc.

This pen may help somewhat with writing skills and perhaps learning some common words by sight, but I am an advocate for teaching reading and writing phonetically, so when the person comes across any new word they will be able to look for a root word and then have the tools to sound it out, then go from there.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
Shit bich, finna git upsum shrees but onny gots fitty greens.

Yup, that pen should turn the tide on illiteracy…

Tecate
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
I have to agree with those who believe this will make illiteracy worse.
Much like calculators and the internet have hurt thinking and math skills.

There really are not short cuts to basic skills with math, reading and spelling.