deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Linux gaming
(06-29-2024, 06:45 PM)broccoli Wrote: yeah because I believe you're using grub now as an operating system loader lol I believe windows 11 also doesn't use master boot record anymore if I recall It's been a very long time since I've used windows but I may have read that recently.

I don't see a reason to ever install windows. Libreoffice easily replaces microsoft office, Lutris for gaming, everything is open source and free, what more could anyone ask for really.

throw it away and come to debian or something man Biggrin

Also you can easily just make a live persistent USB version of Linux using rufus and like a 30gb usb easily

or if for some reason you need to bloat your resources with windows, run it as a virtual machine iso with vmware

Not using grub :)

GPT. Had to convert to gpt.  

I’m dyslexic and ptsd bad memory. I have a screenshot in photos with instruction to use command line to convert to gpt.  Which hard drive was already formatted gpt as I had to format it that way to get windows 11 on it in the first place. Very confusing and frustrating.

i actually prefer Linux to windows, but this machine is just a gaming machine - a 2k$ Xbox.

it’s the only thing I use windows on/for.

i tried, and Linux is better, but it’s still not there yet for gaming. If you read my diatribes above it breaks down to the games mostly run, but the tools to mod the games do not. 

Skyrim is only interesting/infinitely replayable because I can completely remod it to new game. The mods are now more important that the game itself. The game, to make a metaphor, is like the basic rule book in D&D, the mods are the infinite and changing world - the modules in D&D.

linux just not quite there. 80 percent maybe. Last time it tried about 4-5 years ago was only like 40, so it’s come a long way. And it is more stable than windows now for non gaming. 

I like the user interface more than windows, but that was also true 4-5 years ago. Windows 11 is just crap.
i'm happy you have things situated, I hope your gaming goes well. Do you have any skyrim mods to suggest that are available on consoles? I don't play as often anymore but when I do game I really enjoy starcraft, I wish there were more starcraft like alternatives. Resource gathering and army building. I also like diablo, even the new one diablo 4.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."
(06-30-2024, 09:29 PM)broccoli Wrote: i'm happy you have things situated, I hope your gaming goes well. Do you have any skyrim mods to suggest that are available on consoles? I don't play as often anymore but when I do game I really enjoy starcraft, I wish there were more starcraft like alternatives. Resource gathering and army building. I also like diablo, even the new one diablo 4.

It’s more than just a few mods, it’s whole systems of mods put together.

this is one of the best: Nolvus

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3oREWl7yM]
just to clarify this is ONE mod that I have to download, made up of several beautiful mods right? It's amazing so far.

It has vampires, omg, I feel like I've been living under a rock

werewolves too, thats so cool I had no idea skyrim could do any of this

(06-30-2024, 10:31 PM)broccoli Wrote: just to clarify this is ONE mod that I have to download, made up of several beautiful mods right? It's amazing so far.

It has vampires, omg, I feel like I've been living under a rock

werewolves too, thats so cool I had no idea skyrim could do any of this

Nolvus has a downloader that will help you through the process. It will download a mod controller program to control the mods and launch the game.  Pretty sure you have to have the game in Steam, btw. Just checked, yes on Steam. Follow the directions here: Nolvus instal directions

follow directions exactly.  I uninstall Skyrim, steam, delete everything between installs. Sometimes even reformat my hd to make sure. There might be a couple you have to install 

Different mod collections do hundreds to thousands of mods. I don’t remember how many Nolvus does but it’s a lot.

like I said Skyrim is just basic rules, the mods become the game. 

Nexus is the site for downloading mods. I HIGHLY suggest you pay for premium if you want to do these types of Skyrim mods. I did it once without premium and it took days to install!!!

so you will have
1. Steam - free
2. Skyrim on steam - not free
3. Nexus - free but buy the premium yearly subscription for auto downloading.
4. Nolvus - free
5. Mod organizer - free (downloaded by Nolvus during instal)
5. Mods (hundreds to thousands) free (downloaded by Nolvus during instal).

total cost ~60$ depending on steam price of Skyrim which varies.

Nolvus makes it relatively simple. Just follow the directions, in order, exactly.

Now I can describe /explain why Linux not working well.  Linux runs Steam and Skyrim fine, but mod organizer and nexus just wouldn’t work right. I tried everything. So I just instal win 11 which will run those programs and use it until it breaks my computer when it updates after a month. Reformat my hd and start over.
What I would of done then, is make a sandbox vmware or virtualbox windows setup inside my linux environment and give it the majority portion of my resources to run skyrim. That way if your sandbox fails you can always revert to a working previous state much quicker. Food for thought

Apparently with VMWare you can use NVIDIA vGPU to share a NVidia graphics card between the virtual and host computer. Unfortunately with virtualbox there is no PCI passthrough.  So if you want make use of graphics cards it works out cheaper just to buy a small SSD for windows and install dual boot.  I havn't had a problem with dualboot so far (KUbuntu and Win10).

Cyberpunk 2077 works well under Linux on steam. If they could get FS working on Linux Steam I wouldn't have any need to go near M$.
(07-01-2024, 02:42 PM)broccoli Wrote: What I would have done then, is make a sandbox vmware or virtualbox windows setup inside my linux environment and give it the majority portion of my resources to run skyrim. That way if your sandbox fails you can always revert to a working previous state much quicker. Food for thought

For a less graphics intensive game, sure. For just native Skyrim, sure. For modded Skyrim - no way.

I’ve got a 2080ti and these modded Skyrim builds will max my card - they will slow even a 4090 on max settings.

will not be playable on my system in virtualbox.

edit to restate, it’s not Skyrim that makes it unplayable in Linux.  It’s the mods and the tools to run the mods. Mod organizer, nexus, Nolvus app etc… Skyrim unmodded plays fine in Linux.
(07-02-2024, 06:42 AM)pianopraze Wrote: For a less graphics intensive game, sure. For just native Skyrim, sure. For modded Skyrim - no way.

I’ve got a 2080ti and these modded Skyrim builds will max my card - they will slow even a 4090 on max settings.

will not be playable on my system in virtualbox.

edit to restate, it’s not Skyrim that makes it unplayable in Linux.  It’s the mods and the tools to run the mods. Mod organizer, nexus, Nolvus app etc… Skyrim unmodded plays fine in Linux.

That is nuts! I had no idea man that the mod was that intense. That video does not do it justice enough then.