deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Japanese-Egyptian team hunting for new tomb at Giza
Source: https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/world/wi...04-153623/
Quote:CAIRO — A joint team of Japanese and Egyptian researchers have started an excavation in an area known as the Western Cemetery, located close to the Great Pyramid of Giza in the suburbs of the Egyptian capital Cairo. The pyramid is said to belong to the Ancient Egyptian King Khufu.
Preliminary research using a ground-penetrating radar captured images that appeared to be remains of an ancient structure, giving researchers hope that the excavation will lead to a new discovery.
The team is led by Sakuji Yoshimura, 80, Japan’s prominent Egyptian archaeologist and the president of Higashi Nippon International University in the city of Iwaki, Fukushima Prefecture.

(Note: Zahi Hawass is NOT involved.)

Ground penetrating radar found SOMEthing... I'm slightly skeptical that it's a burial chamber since the poor quality limestone of the plateau is full of natural caves and cavelets.

Other news stories simply repeat the information in the article.

One interesting note is that the Japanese have long been partners in Giza excavations and were one of the teams that excavated the Khufu boat pits.
What do the Japanese get out of it?
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-05-2024, 11:16 AM)Byrd Wrote: Source: https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/world/wi...04-153623/

(Note: Zahi Hawass is NOT involved.)

Ground penetrating radar found SOMEthing... I'm slightly skeptical that it's a burial chamber since the poor quality limestone of the plateau is full of natural caves and cavelets.

Other news stories simply repeat the information in the article.

One interesting note is that the Japanese have long been partners in Giza excavations and were one of the teams that excavated the Khufu boat pits.
If there was one place I would love to go, it is to see the pyramids! But a few people have told me, once you're there, they're not that spectacular! I'm like WHAT?? They're massive frigging pyramids! It would be awesome! Oh, if I was rich!
(02-05-2024, 04:51 PM)MissBeck Wrote: If there was one place I would love to go, it is to see the pyramids! But a few people have told me, once you're there, they're not that spectacular! I'm like WHAT?? They're massive frigging pyramids! It would be awesome! Oh, if I was rich!

It's a wonderful trip, though honestly Karnak was even more spectacular.  You'd be surprised at how LITTLE space there is inside the Great Pyramid (and the trip down inside is NOT for the claustrophobic.)

(02-05-2024, 11:33 AM)quintessentone Wrote: What do the Japanese get out of it?

Are you kidding???

The chance to dig at the greatest archaeological site in the world!  That's one of the most coveted "firmans" (the name of the right to dig permit) in the world.

Okay... maybe that doesn't excite you, but any Egyptologist (and most archaeologists) would give their eyeteeth to have permission to do a research dig there.  Heck, give me the chance and I'll find the funding somehow!
(02-05-2024, 05:41 PM)Byrd Wrote: It's a wonderful trip, though honestly Karnak was even more spectacular.  You'd be surprised at how LITTLE space there is inside the Great Pyramid (and the trip down inside is NOT for the claustrophobic.)

Are you kidding???

The chance to dig at the greatest archaeological site in the world!  That's one of the most coveted "firmans" (the name of the right to dig permit) in the world.

Okay... maybe that doesn't excite you, but any Egyptologist (and most archaeologists) would give their eyeteeth to have permission to do a research dig there.  Heck, give me the chance and I'll find the funding somehow!

I was assuming the Japanese government is co-funding this dig and I was referring to what will the Japanese government get out of it. Of course, archeologists would be excited, but the government? Why not spend dollars right at home digging to find their own cultural artifacts? See what I mean?

Plato's Chariot Allegory
Shocked by the interest of the Japanese?. They were on a journey to India. The chakra system present in Hinduism has been fashioned in the west as Kabballah, and to the east as Buddhism.

Japanese brought the story of Journy to the west to a generation of Australian kids... It was called Monkey Magic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_A...ogy_Review
I was not here.
Oh noes... Wow  Dont wake up the mummy Rolleyes
(02-06-2024, 09:50 AM)quintessentone Wrote: I was assuming the Japanese government is co-funding this dig and I was referring to what will the Japanese government get out of it. Of course, archeologists would be excited, but the government? Why not spend dollars right at home digging to find their own cultural artifacts? See what I mean?

No, governments don't fund digs.  If a site is small, it can be cleared in a few months.  For a big site, you're talking about decades of work (like Gobekli Tepi.)

Archaeologists are generally professors, who are getting funds for the dig from the university.

Governments occasionally fund digs (Texas state government will fund an archaeologist to determine if a site is of archaeological interest...but won't fund a full dig there.  Just an exploration to see if it's a notable site) but most are funded through public grants from universities... and, if involving students, are partly funded by the diggers themselves and the course fees that they pay for the course.  Diggers ("shovelbums") and students also pay for their own food and housing.

The current https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_o...es_(Egypt) is being run by a businessman - previously it had been run by Egyptologists.  I don't know what rules changes there are in place now.
(02-06-2024, 03:34 PM)Byrd Wrote: No, governments don't fund digs.  If a site is small, it can be cleared in a few months.  For a big site, you're talking about decades of work (like Gobekli Tepi.)

Archaeologists are generally professors, who are getting funds for the dig from the university.

Governments occasionally fund digs (Texas state government will fund an archaeologist to determine if a site is of archaeological interest...but won't fund a full dig there.  Just an exploration to see if it's a notable site) but most are funded through public grants from universities... and, if involving students, are partly funded by the diggers themselves and the course fees that they pay for the course.  Diggers ("shovelbums") and students also pay for their own food and housing.

The current https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_o...es_(Egypt) is being run by a businessman - previously it had been run by Egyptologists.  I don't know what rules changes there are in place now.

As I was digging (pun intended) for more information, the Egyptian government is funding this - Egypt's Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities. I can only assume the Japanese government is funding it also, but it's difficult to find out exactly who or what from the Japanese side is involved. Like this article for example, it only refers to 'Japan' funding this dig. What is 'Japan'?

https://www.egyptindependent.com/japan-t...-official/

Anyway, all signs point to this dig being funded by both governments and I still don't get what Japan gets out of it.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-07-2024, 10:32 AM)quintessentone Wrote: As I was digging (pun intended) for more information, the Egyptian government is funding this - Egypt's Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities. I can only assume the Japanese government is funding it also, but it's difficult to find out exactly who or what from the Japanese side is involved. Like this article for example, it only refers to 'Japan' funding this dig. What is 'Japan'?

https://www.egyptindependent.com/japan-t...-official/

Anyway, all signs point to this dig being funded by both governments and I still don't get what Japan gets out of it.

Possibly as part of their UNESCO effort?  https://whc.unesco.org/en/partners/277/#...%20purpose.

To them, cooperation is a better stance than individualism.  Here's a project that benefits the world and that they can support...I'm sure it's a win-win idea for their culture.

...but I don't know.  I'm not Japanese and not involved with their archaeology or government.