deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is sea salt tasting a bit less salty these days
We get our salt off the east coast of Japan, and I really think their is something wrong with the sea salt for the last several years. I'm really concerned about all the tiny ( don't know the science word for it ) tiny particles of plastic that we might be digesting by using this sea salt.

What do you folks think?
(11-21-2023, 01:12 AM)music is magic Wrote: We get our salt off the east coast of Japan, and I really think their is something wrong with the sea salt for the last several years. I'm really concerned about all the tiny ( don't know the science word for it ) tiny particles of plastic that we might be digesting by using this sea salt.

What do you folks think?

There must be Microplastics in the sea salt. Hopefully out bodies can eliminate this waste before it turns bad!
(11-21-2023, 01:12 AM)music is magic Wrote: We get our salt off the east coast of Japan, and I really think their is something wrong with the sea salt for the last several years. I'm really concerned about all the tiny ( don't know the science word for it ) tiny particles of plastic that we might be digesting by using this sea salt.

What do you folks think?

Do you know anyone who keeps a marine aquarium?  You could measure the salinity of the sea-water with a cheapish peice of equipment used by aquarists called a Specific Gravity meter and keep the results.

"Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful planning." 
Charles Tremper

What do you folks think?

If you want to play it safe, you can get your sea salt from Redmond. Google Redmond Sea Salt (in Utah) or I think they sell on Amazon. Their salt is rich in minerals and from an ancient sea long before plastic.
(11-21-2023, 03:22 PM)Blaine91555 Wrote:

What do you folks think?

If you want to play it safe, you can get your sea salt from Redmond. Google Redmond Sea Salt (in Utah) or I think they sell on Amazon. Their salt is rich in minerals and from an ancient sea long before plastic.

I am always amazed when people know about Redmond Sea Salt.   My family moved from Idaho to Utah when I was 12.   I always wondered why my Mom was so intent on SALT;  I mean, what is so great about this particular salt?   As an adult, I now know.   I always feel a tad weird when I am clearing through Customs several bags of salt.   I no longer care if they think I'm weird.  It is Sea Salt, even though it is mined from mid-Utah.   The late, great Lake Bonneville, of which only the Great Salt Lake remains as a reminder, was the great provider.   The minerals which are listed on the Redmond Real Sea Salt website are almost exactly that of other sea salts.   Certainly more health-providing than the adulterated table salt.   Really tasty stuff.
I never heard of Richmond Sea Salt.  Had I known....but we got a lot of Himalayan Sea Salt....probably more than we'll ever go through.

What do you folks think?

Wouldn't the Fukushima radiation be more of a potential reason, or it is supposedly a "VID" symptom? that messes up your taste buds and your olfactory nerves That said my Himalayan Pink salt tastes salty enough for me but I'm a reformed saltaholic and try to only use it lightly on popcorn and margaritas or tequila shots. But it did make search, isn't most of the salt harvested from areas thousands if not millions of years old thus they would be unaffected by contemporary plastics and radiation for that matter

https://www.americanoceans.org/facts/sea...able-salt/

I'll say this it seems the frozen chicken tastes off, we get ours usually from Kroger, Aldi's, or Costco. Aldi's seems better but it also has better and more consistent texture. The last bag from Kroger was bland and the flesh wasn't shreddable with just a fork, either baked grilled, or boiled it was nasty.

[Image: c9ec1c9c37adbae84b3b8ecb0c4f9fb4.jpg]
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....

What do you folks think

If you're worried, disolve the salt in clean water, pour through a coffee filter and evaporate the water then you get just salt left behind.
(11-22-2023, 05:39 PM)argentus Wrote: I am always amazed when people know about Redmond Sea Salt.  

I was born in Idaho, spent a lot of my childhood in Utah, and ended up back in Idaho before moving up here to Alaska. Redmond Salt was a normal thing on kitchen tables.
(11-23-2023, 04:42 AM)putnam6 Wrote:

What do you folks think?

Wouldn't the Fukushima radiation be more of a potential reason, or it is supposedly a "VID" symptom? that messes up your taste buds and your olfactory nerves That said my Himalayan Pink salt tastes salty enough for me but I'm a reformed saltaholic and try to only use it lightly on popcorn and margaritas or tequila shots. But it did make search, isn't most of the salt harvested from areas thousands if not millions of years old thus they would be unaffected by contemporary plastics and radiation for that matter

https://www.americanoceans.org/facts/sea...able-salt/

I'll say this it seems the frozen chicken tastes off, we get ours usually from Kroger, Aldi's, or Costco. Aldi's seems better but it also has better and more consistent texture. The last bag from Kroger was bland and the flesh wasn't shreddable with just a fork, either baked grilled, or boiled it was nasty.

[Image: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c9/ec/1c/c9ec1...4f9fb4.jpg]

Well, of course we get international salts, but our packages will state what country. Japan salt is cheaper. But I will say, the salt today just doesn't have the kick it used to. Maybe its old age?