Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If your serious about Solar Eclipses
You might really want to pay attention to this: The Eclipse Is Coming, and Solar Science Will Never Be the Same

Scientific American reminds us that:

On April 8, 2024, a 115-mile-wide strip of North America will be plunged into darkness. ...

It will be the last spectacle of its kind for a generation—the next total solar eclipse viewable from across North America will be on August 23, 2044.

Just so you have some idea of where this band of darkness will be deepest...

[Image: 328B6205-90EF-4816-A3A9097105461D60_source.jpg?w=800]
https://static.scientificamerican.com/sc....jpg?w=800

I hope all of you who are in the right place experience it... one like this won't come around again for many years.

Keep looking up!  Cool
We will have it pretty good here in Delaware.  We talked about driving up to Erie PA to see it full on.  But that is a 6-8 hour drive for a 3 minute darkness/show.  Kind of a long way for a short viewing.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
I'm not usually "geeked up" for these kind of things, but I must admit, this is going to be pretty cool.

I'm in NW Ohio and we're in the "band".
Here in Maryland, the sun will darken, but the eclipse will not be as complete at it will along that narrow band.

I need to make myself a pin-hole camera for viewing... or pay someone for glasses, if I want to watch it directly.
Just a reminder to all...

Officially rated safety glasses

The only safe glasses and camera filters for looking at the sun are rated ISO 12312-2, according to Deobhakta. 

"Be careful of counterfeits often sold online and seek out approved vendors listed by the American Astronomical Society," stated the doctor in a press release.

Deobhakta offered a few more tips for viewing the eclipse safely:

Do not use binoculars or special lenses that magnify the eclipse. These can focus the sun’s rays into the retina and cause damage.
It is safe to properly use a pinhole camera to view the eclipse.
If you record the eclipse on your phone, do not look at the screen while it’s recording and watch the video later.

Many will want to see the rare sight. According to the American Astronomical Society, any given spot on the planet sees temporary darkness from the moon’s shadow on average once every 400 years. The next total solar eclipse over the U.S. will be Aug. 23, 2044.

From Fox article: Fake safety glasses left woman with permanent eye damage during 2017 solar eclipse, doctor says

Stay safe... have fun!
We checked hotel prices in 'the zone' up near Erie.  6-8 hour drive for us depending on traffic.  The hotels that normally run $125 are going for $500-$1000 for the night.   So it's a hard pass for us.  We will 'enjoy' the 90% eclipse that we get here.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
Yes we are right along that path, you posted Maxmars, of the lucky ones that will hopefully be able to view the solar eclipse - weather allowing.

I just purchased solar eclipse glasses for all of us off Amazon because one of our viewing party said they were going to wear their Rayban sunglasses because it blocked out all UV light. Something about that didn't sound right to me so I did a little digging too about how to view the eclipse and then I bought the solar eclipse glasses for everyone.

Quote:What makes our solar filter glasses special is that they're made while complying with industry standards. These cardboard glasses are manufactured while adhering, CE, ISO, scale 12-16 of EN 169/1992, and the American Astronomical Society safety protocols.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CJ4C9RQP?psc=...ct_details

Supposedly that specific path won't be repeated for another 370 years give or take a few years, so every solar eclipse is very special.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
My wife and I had a running joke between us... the more likely an astronomical event was to occur in our area, the more likely it would rain or be cloudy. Lol

"There's going to be an eclipse," She would say...
"Overcast." I would reply.

"Meteor shower!" She would point out.
"Fog inbound" I would note.

"Fireworks tonight" She would offer...
"Must be gonna rain..."

Sadly... as far as joke go... it was pretty spot on over the last few years.
(03-19-2024, 09:36 AM)Maxmars Wrote: My wife and I had a running joke between us... the more likely an astronomical event was to occur in our area, the more likely it would rain or be cloudy. Lol

"There's going to be an eclipse," She would say...
"Overcast." I would reply.

"Meteor shower!" She would point out.
"Fog inbound" I would note.

"Fireworks tonight" She would offer...
"Must be gonna rain..."

Sadly... as far as joke go... it was pretty spot on over the last few years.

Sadly, the same goes here.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
I'm smack in the middle of the path NW Indy/Ohio but unfortunately there a 90% chance that the sky will be grey as it is most of the time .