deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If your serious about Solar Eclipses
I saw a Youtube video which stated that there are several events that are happening or planned for this eclipse:

The unplanned event is the Cicada awakening which is due to happen sometime around the time of this eclipse.  Also, there will be two types of Cicada's.

Planned events include the Hadron Collider, Isreal's sacrifice of the Red Heffer which is symbolic of the building of the 3rd temple, and a Nasa launch of 3 rockets named after the Egyptian serpent deity APEP into the Moon's shadow.

It is a Youtube video so take it with a grain of salt.
(04-01-2024, 02:19 PM)lostbook Wrote: I saw a Youtube video which stated that there are several events that are happening or planned for this eclipse:

The unplanned event is the Cicada awakening which is due to happen sometime around the time of this eclipse.  Also, there will be two types of Cicada's.

Planned events include the Hadron Collider, Isreal's sacrifice of the Red Heffer which is symbolic of the building of the 3rd temple, and a Nasa launch of 3 rockets named after the Egyptian serpent deity APEP into the Moon's shadow.

It is a Youtube video so take it with a grain of salt.

Grain of salt accepted.

It's kind of regrettable that in promoting interest in the eclipse means people will monetize the event by associating all manner of things to it on YouTube.

Which is not to say that I don't follow all the 'prophesizing' and 'synchronous association' that accompanies most celestial events.  It's kind of colorful, and alluring.  Something is always happening everywhere... it's a sure bet it will coincide with something else.  Some of those are scary... I guess that's the point.
August 2044 looks like the next time for the U.S. denizens. 

Here, you can input your location to see the degree of eclipse available to your location:   8 April 2024 Partial Solar Eclipse in Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands (timeanddate.com)

We will have less than 30% eclipse, which means that only those who have eclipse visual aids will be able to tell the differences.
Happy April Fool's day...

There's an April Fools' Day prank about the 2024 solar eclipse — don't fall for it

It goes like this.... 

Fake headline: "Eclipse Path and Date Miscalculated"

And says something to this effect:

...failing to account for the time it takes light to travel from the sun, a laser-based model led by the U.S. National Observatory’s Measurement Alignment and Astronomy Ministration [NO-MA'AM], has been shown to be off by seven days and 1,843 miles." And that means "it’s coming at us, like, now,” Sarah Phillips, part of UVM's Class of 2025, said in the statement.

... astronomy humor...
I would download a map if I could  that showed the "nope" zone of the eclipse.   Apart from the path of totality, we will experience a fraction of eclipse.   For example, here in the Cayman Islands, we'll get 27% eclipse, which means that unless we are using approved solar shades, we won't be able to see it.   I am hoping to take a photo of Mercury during this period.
Niagara Falls Canada is declaring a state of emergency ahead of the April 8th solar eclipse event. At first, we laughed then the reality sunk in of what will happen when many many thousands of people flock to one small city.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
I was living in Nashville for the least one a few years back and we were in the total eclipse band. It was cool enough that I would drive a few hours over to see one if I had the chance. Also...I had some eclipse glasses but honestly ended up not really using them and had no ill effect. More so than looking up at the actual eclipse part, the effects of shadows and such on the ground was almost cooler to me. Its kind of disorienting actually...hard to explain but I bet some of you will find out all about it this time.

Sadly I am working a gig here in Vegas for this one and won't have a chance to travel to a better spot. Thankfully I got to see the previous one in basically them exact middle of the blackout band...although it isn't really like night time dark.
A "revised" eclipse path has been proposed.... I am uncertain how this might have been 'incorrectly' in the first place...

New Solar Eclipse Map Shows Change in Places Where Moon Will Block Sun
Published Apr 02, 2024 at 12:17 PM EDT

Grain of salt here....
(04-06-2024, 09:12 AM)Maxmars Wrote: A "revised" eclipse path has been proposed.... I am uncertain how this might have been 'incorrectly' in the first place...

New Solar Eclipse Map Shows Change in Places Where Moon Will Block Sun
Published Apr 02, 2024 at 12:17 PM EDT

Grain of salt here....
  It's a super cool thing to see in person.   I can well understand those who want to do so.  If I were of that ilk in the U.S., I would aim for some place where the bulk of folks weren't charted to go, such as a wee town juuuuust outside of the cone of totality.  Some sleepy little town name something countryish, like Hochatown, OK, or Hugo, Grant, Antlers, OK, or Camden, Warren, Dumas, AK or Rolla, Salem, St. James, MO, or Monroe, Tecumseh, Ann Arbor, MI, etc. etc.   

The totality cone is probably not worth the strife.   Pick a place where you can easily drive to and find a sleepy little town with a hotel and a diner than you can live with.  Maybe even a KOA campground, if they still exist.  

The prescribed path isn't nearly as important as being involved in the event, if that is what you are grappling for.   Choose a less-congested place where you can enjoy it with your family without risking you lives in the process.  

JMHO.
I know a few people who are driving from northern ca to San Antonio to see this. My mom is in the direct parlth in Texas. My son will be almost in direct path. My daughter will have a decent 3/4 covered. I will see only about a fourth. But I'll take it!