deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about an Interesting as HECK thread???
(06-25-2024, 10:59 AM)schuyler Wrote: The way to get ketchup out of a bottle with some finesse is to turn the bottle horizontal and lightly tap on the neck. This will break the seal of ketchup around the top of the bottle allowing air to flow in and the ketchup to easily flow out.

No doubt, and shaking the bottle first will make that process even easier.

==============================================================================

This one always cracks me up!

Did you know...Several cities in the United States as well as internationally in the mid-2000's started drafting up legislation to outlaw...WATER!!  Yep!  Plain old water...LOL!  It's true too, as crazy as this sounds.  Not polluted water here either, just plain, pure, water!

Even funnier is the fact that this has happened not just once, but several times since the early 80's...and it will probably happen again in the future!  So what's the story?

Well, back in about 1983 a small Michigan newspaper ran an article calling for the ban of a substance known as "Dihydrogen Monoxide".  The article stated that the substance had been found in the City's water system, and warned that exposure to this substance was..."fatal if inhaled, and could produce blistering vapors".  The date was April 1st, 1983 (April Fools Day).  "Dihydrogen Monoxide" is H20...(two hydrogen, one oxygen)...water.  It sounds scary, but it's just plain water.

Not long afterwards the Coalition to Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide was formed (seriously!  These people are actually serious!).  At various times since then pranksters have made up warning signs to place in public places warning people at places like public pools, lakes and other areas of the perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide (or "DHMO" as it is now often called).  Here's a couple examples of some of the signs, one of them in on a Kentucky water facility...

[Image: PScn8kR.jpeg]

[Image: e3M17JA.jpeg]

The Dihydrogen Monoxide prank has been circulating for years, often now called "DHMO".  And almost every time it does circulate, the enviro-nutjobs start organizing protests, circulating petitions calling for it to be banned, and even legislation being initiated for new laws...all because people didn't pay attention in their boring High School Chemistry classes!

"Dihydrogen Monoxide" - The gift that keeps on giving!!!

(slowly shaking my head in despair)
"No doubt, and shaking the bottle first will make that process even easier."

So will sticking a knife inside the bottle. Both that and shaking the bottle have no class. That's why I used the word "finesse."
(06-25-2024, 03:19 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Did you know....that "antidisestablishmentarianism" is not even close to the longest word in the English language?

The longest word in the English language is 189,819 letters long!!...and FAR too long to print here (let alone type).  It would take (50) pages of a standard Oxford Dictionary to print it all.

What does that longest word is supposed to mean?
(06-25-2024, 03:10 PM)schuyler Wrote: "No doubt, and shaking the bottle first will make that process even easier."

So will sticking a knife inside the bottle. Both that and shaking the bottle have no class. That's why I used the word "finesse."

LOL!  OOOookay...but does the word "finesse" really even belong in the same sentence as "ketchup"????  Could someone please pass the black truffles and truffle shaver along with the Pule.  Sheesh!

(06-25-2024, 03:28 PM)ArMaP Wrote: What does that longest word is supposed to mean?

The 189k letter word is some medical chemical formula word as I understand it.  A molecular forumula of some sort, or a description of the same.

edit -- I can't imagine anyone ever using such a word, and I suspect it is rolled up into an acronym, but even the acronym must be as long as your arm!  So, there most be some other more practical way to express the same thing.  Can you even imagine someone handing you a letter or paper with a single word which was (16) pages long just by itself???
It would look like..."First you add one liter of water and then start adding the 18 grams of aflkasfaldjadldgjadlfgjdflgjsdlgjs'fdgjsoigusrtogsijgsklbnxkfbhjxviohkdgfjhoasidfjbmzeepoinaoiadfanaeroiubaohlkajdgadflkmsdfhbvciuhsaaltijagnzvlj (plus 15.5 more pages and 189,650 more characters)!  Following this, you add 17 ml of sodium and 16 ml of denatured alcohol"  LOL!!  Lol

A definition I found reads as follows (for the 189,819 letter word)...

Quote:The longest recognized systematic name is for the protein titin, at 189,819 letters. While lexicographers regard generic names of chemical compounds as verbal formulae rather than words, for its sheer length the systematic name for titin is often included in longest-word lists.

I read that the word is so long it actually takes (3) HOURS to say it!!!  LOLOLOLOLOL~!!!
(06-25-2024, 03:29 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: LOL!  OOOookay...but does the word "finesse" really even belong in the same sentence as "ketchup"????  Could someone please pass the black truffles and truffle shaver along with the Pule.  Sheesh!

Don't confuse the substance with how it's treated. Ketchup isn't on trial here. If you've ever visited the Hearst mansion in California you will find a bottle of ketchup every few feet on that massive dining room table the elite and classy used for their expensive dinners. I'm guessing no one ever used a knife to get at the ketchup. It would have been considered extremely gauche. 

By the same token if you take an expensive piece of filet mignon and cook it until it's crisp and black, that shows a complete lack of finesse and is a bush and classless move. It can go either way.
(06-25-2024, 05:55 PM)schuyler Wrote: ...
By the same token if you take an expensive piece of filet mignon and cook it until it's crisp and black, that shows a complete lack of finesse and is a bush and classless move. It can go either way.

And then put "ketchup" on it; yeah I would agree that's pretty savage, and "un-refined".  I actually had someone do this once.  A date my sister found somewhere (likely in a darkly lit alley of Mumbai).  Asked for his steak to be "well done" to the point of blackness, and then asked for ketchup.  Not 'steak sauce', mind you, but "ketchup".  Fair enough, while he "might" be allowed in my household, it would never be for prime NY strip steaks, burnt to a crisp, and then flooded with..."ketchup"...ever!  He will eat...chick peas, sticks and bugs...only.

Nice guy, but may he never grace my dinner table hence forth.  (Sis never was seen with him again...not my call)
Dashes

Did you know that there are three different length dashes? The hyphen is the shortest(-), where the en dash is just a tad longer(–) with the em dash being the longest(—).

The shortcut for the en dash is alt-0150, and for the em dash it's alt-0151. The numeric keypad must be used for entering the numbers.

The longer versions are sometimes used in place of a hyphen for citing the sources of quotes, and that's about all I use them for.