deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hersheys As Medication?
Hey good people of DI!

So a funny thing happened in my world that has had an impact I could not have predicted...

A couple of weeks ago the weekly shopping was done. We have a large household and live about an hour from town - so two people make the trip once a week, taking lists of the things that the rest of us want or need. This streamlines and saves on trips.

When the items I requested were segregated and given to me I found a large candy bar in the bag. along with the items from the list I had provided.

Given that it is not uncommon for those who shop to buy a sale item or a small surprise to include in my bag, I thought nothing of it.

That night I broke off a couple of small squares of the chocolate bar and enjoyed a small, sweet, guilty treat.

The following night I did the same.

And the night after that.

Why this anecdote is relevant is that, as some of you are aware, I have issues with depression. Bipolar 2 specifically. It's been a decades long struggle for me. Over the years I have been placed on somewhere in the range of fifteen or twenty different antidepressants and most did not work at all. The few that did have some measurable effect always wound up causing side effects that were as bad, or worse, than the depression itself.

Given that we, in the US, are coming out of winter. Well, it's been several months of existing in a fairly constant depressed state for me. Energy has been hard to come by and my overall world was suffering for it. Laundry was stacking up. Floors were going unswept. Table tops and counters were slowly stacking up with items that needed to be put away and so on.

Thing is after three nights of essentially micro-dosing chocolate - I woke up on day four motivated and substantially energized. No sooner had I gotten out of bed and walked my dog than I began looking around at the state of things and feeling a desire to get it all back to right.

So I began cleaning and kept it up, off and on, for the duration of the day.

That night I ate my little bit of chocolate as usual. Again, just for a treat.

The next day - more cleaning.

Rinse and repeat for a few days and I found myself wondering what had caused my rebound in mood - as it was marked and, honestly, sort of profound. I felt like I had more optimism and mental clarity on top of renewed energy.

On a lark I Googled "Can chocolate help depression?" - as the addition of chocolate was the only factor in my life that had really changed - and was surprised to find that there is peer reviewed evidence that it might.

There are conflicting studies and opinions. That said, it's medicine and sometimes pharmaceutical companies will go to great lengths to bury simple fixes for issues that might impede their ability to make all the money from their patented medications... And the myriad variation of Prozac are one of the biggest cash cows they have going.

I guess my point in tabling this discussion is twofold:

First simply to put it out there that a square or two of a chocolate bar, each evening, seems to be doing more for me than any prescription previously has.

Also to ask if anyone else has discovered this same life hack?

I understand that we're all unique and that body / brain chemistry can deviate quite a bit from person to person and that what works for one will not work for everyone. Still...

Maybe it'll help someone else out.

So DI... Am I onto something? A placebo effect?

Thanks for reading!
That explains the repeating phenomenon of my suddenly deciding that "I need something chocolate" despite my usually avoiding sweets, as a matter of habit.  

Occasionally, it's as if my urge to have chocolate is a prescription my brain writes for itself.  I don't gorge, but I do indulge from time to time.

I can't say that I have been alert enough to nail down any specific effect of doing this, but I definitely feel like it is a nutritional requirement from time to time.

I too have experienced the drawn-out experiments of well-meaning physicians, who have sent me down the path of "Let's try this" and the usual "Well, that's not good."  It ended in me not using those medicines anymore, at all.  I can cope better without the added grief, thank you very much.
(03-12-2024, 10:49 PM)Hefficide Wrote: Hey good people of DI!

So a funny thing happened in my world that has had an impact I could not have predicted...

A couple of weeks ago the weekly shopping was done. We have a large household and live about an hour from town - so two people make the trip once a week, taking lists of the things that the rest of us want or need. This streamlines and saves on trips.

When the items I requested were segregated and given to me I found a large candy bar in the bag. along with the items from the list I had provided.

Given that it is not uncommon for those who shop to buy a sale item or a small surprise to include in my bag, I thought nothing of it.

That night I broke off a couple of small squares of the chocolate bar and enjoyed a small, sweet, guilty treat.

The following night I did the same.

And the night after that.

Why this anecdote is relevant is that, as some of you are aware, I have issues with depression. Bipolar 2 specifically. It's been a decades long struggle for me. Over the years I have been placed on somewhere in the range of fifteen or twenty different antidepressants and most did not work at all. The few that did have some measurable effect always wound up causing side effects that were as bad, or worse, than the depression itself.

Given that we, in the US, are coming out of winter. Well, it's been several months of existing in a fairly constant depressed state for me. Energy has been hard to come by and my overall world was suffering for it. Laundry was stacking up. Floors were going unswept. Table tops and counters were slowly stacking up with items that needed to be put away and so on.

Thing is after three nights of essentially micro-dosing chocolate - I woke up on day four motivated and substantially energized. No sooner had I gotten out of bed and walked my dog than I began looking around at the state of things and feeling a desire to get it all back to right.

So I began cleaning and kept it up, off and on, for the duration of the day.

That night I ate my little bit of chocolate as usual. Again, just for a treat.

The next day - more cleaning.

Rinse and repeat for a few days and I found myself wondering what had caused my rebound in mood - as it was marked and, honestly, sort of profound. I felt like I had more optimism and mental clarity on top of renewed energy.

On a lark I Googled "Can chocolate help depression?" - as the addition of chocolate was the only factor in my life that had really changed - and was surprised to find that there is peer reviewed evidence that it might.

There are conflicting studies and opinions. That said, it's medicine and sometimes pharmaceutical companies will go to great lengths to bury simple fixes for issues that might impede their ability to make all the money from their patented medications... And the myriad variation of Prozac are one of the biggest cash cows they have going.

I guess my point in tabling this discussion is twofold:

First simply to put it out there that a square or two of a chocolate bar, each evening, seems to be doing more for me than any prescription previously has.

Also to ask if anyone else has discovered this same life hack?

I understand that we're all unique and that body / brain chemistry can deviate quite a bit from person to person and that what works for one will not work for everyone. Still...

Maybe it'll help someone else out.

So DI... Am I onto something? A placebo effect?

Thanks for reading!

Not a placebo effect , i think there is valid science how chocolate can effect mood, and i have noticed same . I think i will go buy dark choco today,i love chocolate as a matter of fact. ( yes, i am random Chocoholic Wow Rolleyes )

The main compound giving the good mood may be Anandamide. But raw chocolate has large amount of bio compounds ,which some may effect brain alone or together as well, and raw chocolate is infact super strong antioxidant as a whole raw form
How Anandamide in Chocolate Affects Your Mood

Anandamide wikipedia

The Many Psychoactive Compounds in Chocolate

FYI if you havent used lithium oratate , you should ....it`s good for many ,  it`s not a drug but essential mineral . I believe it`s actually good to all people , not just bibolar/depression because it has good effect to brain

How Lithium Treats Bipolar Disorder and Depression

The darker / the more raw chocolate , the more it has the health effects .
@Hefficide

I made it known to my family that the only present I want for any occasion are high end chocolates and I recently received a box.

I can tell you that for me the dopamine rush is all consuming and it's a natural high. Damn the calories.

I finished the box of chocolates over three days and I am now looking for my next dopamine rush.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
You men are funny.  We women have known about chocolate making you happen since it was invented!!  We've had tshirts sporting 'chocoholic' and other sayings about chocolate, and we demand chocolate gifts, and we have bon bons and other chocolate snacks ready to go around the house at all times, and even have chocolate scented candles, etc etc !!   You guys have to learn to talk to women! We are smart!!  ha ha ha
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(03-13-2024, 10:46 AM)FlyersFan Wrote: You men are funny.  We women have known about chocolate making you happen since it was invented!!  We've had tshirts sporting 'chocoholic' and other sayings about chocolate, and we demand chocolate gifts, and we have bon bons and other chocolate snacks ready to go around the house at all times, and even have chocolate scented candles, etc etc !!   You guys have to learn to talk to women! We are smart!!  ha ha ha

i feel myself silly now  lol
PTSD depression anxiety is definitely helped by three things:

1. Exercise 
2. Chocolate
3. Ocean 

none of the ssri and other junk helped me one whit. 

most made it worse

a few made me hospitalized
Better stock up.

Shortage of chocolate expected.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/13/lifestyle/...buy-beans/
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
Just eated 125 gram dark chocolate today , i can feel it does effect mind . This one did not taste good, because it was 95% chocolate , but anyway... [Image: ats2485_banana.gif]
(03-14-2024, 12:56 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Just eated 125 gram dark chocolate today , i can feel it does effect mind . This one did not taste good, because it was 95% chocolate , but anyway... [Image: https://denyignorance.com/images/ogemoji...banana.gif]

No, try 70%...95% is just torture.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory