deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Geoengineering Test Quietly Launches Salt Crystals into Atmosphere
(04-07-2024, 11:52 AM)ArMaP Wrote: I don't know how they are going to do it, so I cannot answer that.

I don't think they can "control" it, but knowing (more or less) how things work it's not that difficult to know where to do the spraying for it to finally fall over the ocean.

But, even if it falls over land, I suppose it depends on how much salt they use on their spray, as the idea appears (to me) to be using it on already existing clouds to make them more reflective, so I don't think the salt will be in a concentration high enough to do any damage.

Indeed, I read somewhere where the concentrations are not high enough to do any damage, but I can't find that article now.

Imagine all the new UAPs this may cause to form.  Wink
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
More on MCB here:  https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/1....2012.0086
(04-10-2024, 08:10 AM)Essan Wrote: More on MCB here:  https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/1....2012.0086

More information on marine cloud brightening (MCB) for anyone that is interested, and I'm interested.

https://atmos.uw.edu/faculty-and-researc...atmosphere.
Quote:To perform these studies, the CARI system is being used to generate a plume of sea salt aerosols that flow down wind across a series of instrument risers containing sophisticated and sensitive instruments for measuring aerosols over a wide range of sizes and concentrations (see image below).  On these and at other stations, meteorology measurements are also taken. Plume generation occurs in brief intervals (generally 5-30 min) during periods of favorable meteorological conditions. Background aerosols are captured in other periods. These measurements will be taken periodically over time to capture findings in different seasons and meteorological conditions.

Scientific Review Board of senior scientists reviewed the study design with reference to its scientific value, the suitability and feasibility of planned observations, modeling and analyses, identification of any measurable physical risks from aerosol output, and any additional concerns. They found the study design to be valuable, well-structured, feasible and without identifiable physical risks.  A report describing their findings is available here.

https://faculty.washington.edu/robwood2/...ge_id=1578

The aerosols will be using sea salt which is a natural substance albeit if they are injecting more sea salt into the environment that may be an issue or are they using existing sea salt from the ocean, whereby with this process it will simply be put back into the same environment (?)

Again, as I have read before, senior scientists found the study to have no identifiable physical risks.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(04-10-2024, 10:27 AM)quintessentone Wrote: The aerosols will be using sea salt which is a natural substance albeit if they are injecting more sea salt into the environment that may be an issue or are they using existing sea salt from the ocean, whereby with this process it will simply be put back into the same environment (?)

By definition, sea salt comes from the sea, so I suppose it wouldn't make much of a difference. Also, the amounts are a drop in the ocean (almost literally), so even if they are getting sea salt from the Atlantic and dropping it in the Pacific I don't see a problem with that.
Not to be an alarmist, because this exercise may be as harmless as they claim, however nothing aerosolized and sprayed into the atmosphere simply "stays" where it is sprayed.  Besides the obvious, sea salt constitutes a major corrosive force, especially for metal objects like cars, bridges, ships, etc. 

Also, while it may be a technical non-issue, breathing higher concentrations of salt in the air might not be medically "inert" as it may have some negative health effects... though of course, I would not wish that to be so.

As it stands, we are still not well versed enough in the science to be casually "trying anything" to "mitigate" the overall climate situation.

This entire 'cloud brightening' exercise is already considered as to have only a slight effect on the climate at best, so who deemed it a "worthwhile" shot in the dark? .... Let me guess... research grant recipients...
I used to have a long list of science gaffs but my memory is horrible

Kudzu I remember because I am from Eastern ky. They thought they would solve problem of rock slides by introducing kudzu. 

it worked somewhat, but it created much worse problems.

it is invasive plant and nothing eats it. It is almost impossible to get rid of and completely takes over areas. 

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Hbl0bV8FA]

scientific hubris is massive and we have to live with the problems they inadvertently create which are worse.

I detest these bingo holes making decisions without our consent.
(04-10-2024, 03:18 PM)Maxmars Wrote: Not to be an alarmist, because this exercise may be as harmless as they claim, however nothing aerosolized and sprayed into the atmosphere simply "stays" where it is sprayed.  Besides the obvious, sea salt constitutes a major corrosive force, especially for metal objects like cars, bridges, ships, etc. 

Anyone living near the sea knows that.

Many years ago, when aluminium wheels started to become more affordable, some people started to put them on their cars, but those that lived near the ocean found out that aluminium wheels, iron wheel nuts and salty air were a perfect mixture to corrode the alumium.

Quote:Also, while it may be a technical non-issue, breathing higher concentrations of salt in the air might not be medically "inert" as it may have some negative health effects... though of course, I would not wish that to be so.

Again, people that live near the ocean breath much higher concentrations than people living far from the sea, and nothing bad happens to them because of it, so I suppose if they keep the concentration close to that of sea water nothing bad will happen.
(04-10-2024, 03:18 PM)Maxmars Wrote: Not to be an alarmist, because this exercise may be as harmless as they claim, however nothing aerosolized and sprayed into the atmosphere simply "stays" where it is sprayed.  Besides the obvious, sea salt constitutes a major corrosive force, especially for metal objects like cars, bridges, ships, etc. 

Also, while it may be a technical non-issue, breathing higher concentrations of salt in the air might not be medically "inert" as it may have some negative health effects... though of course, I would not wish that to be so.

As it stands, we are still not well versed enough in the science to be casually "trying anything" to "mitigate" the overall climate situation.

This entire 'cloud brightening' exercise is already considered as to have only a slight effect on the climate at best, so who deemed it a "worthwhile" shot in the dark? .... Let me guess... research grant recipients...

Well, as as result of this (very small scale) experiment, we'll hopefully better know what unintended consequence the process may have - and, indeed, whether it would be practical to carry out at all.    That's the purpose of experiments.
(04-11-2024, 08:44 AM)Essan Wrote: Well, as as result of this (very small scale) experiment, we'll hopefully better know what unintended consequence the process may have - and, indeed, whether it would be practical to carry out at all.    That's the purpose of experiments.

Absolutely and the other choice is doing nothing.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(04-11-2024, 10:14 AM)quintessentone Wrote: Absolutely and the other choice is doing nothing.

That would be much preferable.