deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Freezing my butt off!
Good day all! Back in the frozen north since Tuesday night, and drove 4 hours further to get my dog from my daughter’s place where she stayed for 8 weeks while I did renovations, etc in Mexico. -37°C on the drive up!! Holy hell, what the serious f**k? This morning -45°C!!
It’s supposed to warm up next week for back to work, but really??

Really beginning to hate the deep cold and would rather be down south touring around on the bike…

Keep warm all!!
(01-12-2024, 02:33 PM)Tecate Wrote: Good day all! Back in the frozen north since Tuesday night, and drove 4 hours further to get my dog from my daughter’s place where she stayed for 8 weeks while I did renovations, etc in Mexico. -37°C on the drive up!! Holy hell, what the serious f**k? This morning -45°C!!
It’s supposed to warm up next week for back to work, but really??

Really beginning to hate the deep cold and would rather be down south touring around on the bike…

Keep warm all!!

Greenland ? North pole ?  Shocked  -45  ....that is way too cold ! How are you heating the house ?
(01-12-2024, 02:33 PM)Tecate Wrote: Good day all!

Howdy [Image: ats2508_cheers.gif]

Cool! Nothing better than a weather rant. :) Here in Anchorage, Alaska, we've only had one week or so where it got brutally cold. The problem here is more record snow than normal and roofs collapsing from the weight of the snow. Pretty average temps, though.

The buildings with the problems were built in the 1970s -1980s. Some kind of trusses on flattop buildings suddenly collapsed. The buildings stood for all that time, and now they are collapsing,
which sucks.
Yeah....we'll be seeing some bitter cold and winds in about 36-48 hours as this massive USA storm dumps a lot of snow/rain over us.

Used to be winter started in late November.  Now more like mid-January.

Rolleyes
Yeah I’m in Northern Alberta rn and the snowfall has been much lighter than usual, and up until a week ago the temperature was above average actually. But of course the day before I fly back… wicked cold, snow and wind. Of course everyone is blaming me, but I’m fairly certain I didn’t bring it back from Mexico!

Hearing is natural gas furnace so pretty comfortable, expensive but comfortable. Nowhere near the snowfall to collapse roofs! Holy cow!

Should have stayed down south another week, but the honey-do list would have killed my liver! Ha!
(01-12-2024, 04:35 PM)Tecate Wrote: Hearing is natural gas furnace
I moved out of a house into this apartment a little over a year ago, and I'm used to gas heat.

Where I live now, we have a boiler and baseboard radiators, which is new to me. Turns out I like it.

The roofs that are failing are some kind of floating wood trusses, something I know nothing about. Lots of those buildings around town and all that heavy snow exposed a flaw.
Wow! I’m not familiar with that building style either, but what I have read recently about insurance companies denying claims and canceling coverage is scary!

The Mexico house has no heating system at all, my daughter’s place is forced air nat gas, but my place in NE Alberta is glycol floor heating with wood stove back up. I prefer the heated floors, but recovery time is extended during cold snaps etc. I’ll be back there tomorrow so we’ll see how it fared while I was away.

Should all be fine, but not looking forward to the 3.5 hour drive in -32°C weather!!
(01-12-2024, 06:02 PM)Tecate Wrote: The Mexico house has no heating system at all, my daughter’s place is forced air nat gas, but my place in NE Alberta is glycol floor heating with wood stove back up. I prefer the heated floors, but recovery time is extended during cold snaps etc. I’ll be back there tomorrow so we’ll see how it fared while I was away.
That's quite a trek from Mexico to NE Alberta, even in goo weather.  How long did it take to drive that juge distance?
WOWSER!!!
No, sorry DTOM, I flew back to Alberta then drove north!! Sorry for the confusion, but it’s a 46 hour drive normally house to house.

Not something I would do at this time of the year!
(01-12-2024, 04:18 PM)DontTreadOnMe Wrote: Used to be winter started in late November.  Now more like mid-January.

Rolleyes

My hubby and I were just talking about this today; it was beginning to look like we weren't even going to have any winter, then 9" of snow last night! It's a chilly minus 10* right now.

Wwe have a little house on the porch with a heating pad for the feral cat that adopted us, and this afternoon the and this afternoon we say a dark-eyed Junco come flying out. It's a good thing the cat only uses it at night! Lol
I'm not a Domestic Engineer; I'm still feral.