deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
Final countdown
6:06:06

scary.

When do we get George Knapp AMA party started? 

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDXxeAceVEM]
(05-07-2024, 09:00 PM)VulcanWerks Wrote: RIP ATS.

The Astr0 thread remains my favorite.

1000% !!!!

I even emailed TWF in the offchance rare hope they'd read and consider doing an episode on it
(04-26-2024, 08:00 AM)FlyersFan Wrote: I am just so happy and grateful to be here. People I am familiar with. This is different but a good different .
Have a sunshine type of day! Cool Cool
I posted this on ATS. Thought it should be here too.

Okay, as I’ve previously mentioned, I have a domain through Godaddy. I just got off the phone with them. I specifically asked them about the process of a domain, in the case of non-payment. 

Here is the skinny: 

- The site will go down from the internet within 7-10 days from May 18th (if there is no auto renew). 

- The site will be suspended, but will still show in the owners Godaddy account for 30 days after the 18th. 

- There is an $80 late fee (if the site is suspended) for the owner to pay the dues and keep the site within the 30 day time period. 

- At the 30 day mark, the domain will be auctioned off. 

- If no one buys it at auction, the owner retains the right to buy it back. 

In conclusion, if there is no auto renew, ATS will go down some time between May 25th - 28th. As I’ve also previously mentioned, the owner would be the biggest moron on the planet to let the domain expire over a $34.98 fee to renew for a year. If this does happen, he’s either dead or in jail.
I concur.

Add to list: they could be on a yacht in the Bahamas with not a care in the world.  

we love and value ATS, possible they don’t.
(05-17-2024, 06:00 PM)pianopraze Wrote: I concur.

Add to list: they could be on a yacht in the Bahamas with not a care in the world.  

we love and value ATS, possible they don’t.

With a domain as valuable as abovetopsecret.com, you ALWAYS have it on auto renew so something like this doesn’t happen. The only ways someone doesn’t, is if they intentionally took it off auto renew OR their credit card expired.
(05-17-2024, 06:54 PM)KKLoco Wrote: With a domain as valuable as abovetopsecret.com, you ALWAYS have it on auto renew so something like this doesn’t happen. The only ways someone doesn’t, is if they intentionally took it off auto renew OR their credit card expired.

It'll attempt autorenewal a week before expiration.
[Image: marx.png]
The domain name can be separated from the data base & server,
if whom ever holds the key to the domain name allows that.

Given the disengagement of the previous and now current
domain name owners, I would not be surprised in the least
to see that happen.

Sad, yes. Surprised? No.
(05-17-2024, 08:19 PM)bts Wrote: The domain name can be separated from the data base & server,
if whom ever holds the key to the domain name allows that.

Given the disengagement of the previous and now current
domain name owners, I would not be surprised in the least
to see that happen.

Sad, yes. Surprised? No.

Yes, it is painfully clear that the previous and current owners - only had monetary gain at heart. 

While the majority of us members feel the value is in the content, not the domain name. Unfortunately, outsiders looking in, see the value in the domain name. That’s why it’s ridiculous to believe the twat owner wouldn’t pay $34.98 to re-up the domain for a year. Even if the intent is to sell the domain name to the highest bidder. Which I believe would fetch over $20k, at minimum. Then again, the new douchey owner made his dough on cryptos, and BC has exponentially spiked in the last several months, with a mild 5% correction. Maybe the thoughts of him being a short-attention spanned lazy ass are true….
I don't bother characterizing the owners (new or old.)  

The most important aspect of all this is the continuation of a community that functions.  

It is shame that commerce is the preeminent 'gold standard' among site owners... I get it.
But, at the risk of sounding pretentious, the community was never there for "monetary" reasons...
And the body of the content provided and created by the community may be theirs, "monetarily;" it was never "theirs" in spirit.

They may come and go... but we remain... (and here we are.)

The lesson here?

Community: once established, respect it or perish!