deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dr Kavanagh and the Chinese communists!
(02-18-2024, 06:49 PM)PhyloCFly Wrote: Yes, I get the name communist and that this is what it is called.To me, the key here is ''called''. It may have been communist when Mao marched and for some time later but now it seems to me to just be one big capitalist corporation.

This for me gives rise to just what is the difference between a communist corporation and a good old western corporation. Yes, they are both evolving towards the same goal, that of domination of all social structures so I see little difference between them other than one is more advanced than the other.

I think my main problem with this event, oh and thanks for the fleshing out of the story line, is the presenter and the obvious hyperbole of the whole subject starting with the picture to introduce the video. A handsome white guy of clearly idolized looks being screamed at by a gaggle of totally enraged and hateful Asian women. It smacks of racial warfare to me. Not defense but rather out right offense.

Thats not what happened. The Chinese women didn't have much if any issues (other than the known spy that was seen in the background). The CCP handler was the one making the issue. If he had directed his group to just move along, then there wouldn't have been any issue at all. Instead, what that handler did was try and assert CCP rules and standards to someone that is not CCP, nor in China. So, this narrative of "enraged and hateful Asian women" isn't part of this video. 

It's interesting how you see this video, I would like to ask how would you have dealt with the issue being presented here?
(02-18-2024, 06:49 PM)PhyloCFly Wrote: Yes, I get the name communist and that this is what it is called.To me, the key here is ''called''. It may have been communist when Mao marched and for some time later but now it seems to me to just be one big capitalist corporation.

This for me gives rise to just what is the difference between a communist corporation and a good old western corporation. Yes, they are both evolving towards the same goal, that of domination of all social structures so I see little difference between them other than one is more advanced than the other.

I think my main problem with this event, oh and thanks for the fleshing out of the story line, is the presenter and the obvious hyperbole of the whole subject starting with the picture to introduce the video. A handsome white guy of clearly idolized looks being screamed at by a gaggle of totally enraged and hateful Asian women. It smacks of racial warfare to me. Not defense but rather out right offense.

They may have accepted capitalism as a pathway to power, but the core government is still a whole lot like when Mao was in charge. When the state owns and runs the businesses, it is still Communist. The hidden China and one for tourists and outsiders are separate things, it seems to me.

I agree that the images people use to draw attention to their videos are just as bad as the headlines used in the news. It's tacky, but they use it because it works.

(02-18-2024, 07:27 PM)guyfriday Wrote: The CCP handler was the one making the issue.

Now that's the story. CCP enforcers in other countries.
"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."
- Benjamin Franklin -

(02-18-2024, 07:27 PM)guyfriday Wrote: Thats not what happened. The Chinese women didn't have much if any issues (other than the known spy that was seen in the background). The CCP handler was the one making the issue. If he had directed his group to just move along, then there wouldn't have been any issue at all. Instead, what that handler did was try and assert CCP rules and standards to someone that is not CCP, nor in China. So, this narrative of "enraged and hateful Asian women" isn't part of this video. 

It's interesting how you see this video, I would like to ask how would you have dealt with the issue being presented here?

Excuse me if this was not meant for me as I am still working my way around how things work here. Yes, I get that the Chinese spokesman was overly persistent and indeed quite frantic in this encounter. Likely it was due to concerns of those watching his leadership of the group as others have suggested.

What I would have done were I the piano player would have been to just pack up and leave as there was more going on here than calm rational discussion could resolve. Same goes for the encounter with he cop. She was doing her job which was to attempt to calm the situation and just end it.

The battle here for exactly what it was was not going to be  won  by K, it just wasn't going to happen from what I could see. Yet he had his camera going and decided to make a statement about free speech and English law. Now I understand standing up for ones rights, but if the fight is not one that can be won, then why fight at all, just turn the other cheek. But he had his camera running and thought it would be useful for his own career. And maybe it was and maybe it wasn't. I'll watch him for the music in either event, but to me he just seemed to be repetitive with no conclusion. Just pack up the camera and come back tomorrow. Now because of the exchange, that beautiful piano was cordoned off  and not open to him or the public, at least from what he said in a follow up video. So there was a loss for the public and free speech will go on as it was before, except without the piano.
(02-19-2024, 11:54 PM)PhyloCFly Wrote:  

So, you don't feel that the CCP handler was in the wrong for not walking away with the understanding that he, and the people he was with, are in another country with different laws and custom?

As to the use of video.
In some places and countries, it's a good thing to do. It provides a layer of protection from political abuse as well as providing video evidence of right or wrong-doing in incidents like this. A lot of people don't understand this, but it's one of the reasons why drivers in Russia and other countries, use dash cameras while driving.
Sure I do, he, by our standards and laws was out of line. However he was the aggressor, not  just aggressor but also acting very unhinged. Our musician though seemed of cooler mind and should have  seen this and known that there is really noting to win in a squabble with an unhinged person. He  could just have walked away and come back another time when that group was gone. Simple. Yet he chose to make a point by arguing with him. The guy was shaking and if it was not clear to him by the time he  had innocently touched the woman and then the guy began his ''don't touch her'' line over and over and over it should have been clear that that cat was out of his mind, for whatever reason. Time to walk away and let the dust settle. Come back tomorrow.
(02-20-2024, 10:56 PM)PhyloCFly Wrote: Sure I do, he, by our standards and laws was out of line. However he was the aggressor, not  just aggressor but also acting very unhinged. Our musician though seemed of cooler mind and should have  seen this and known that there is really noting to win in a squabble with an unhinged person. He  could just have walked away and come back another time when that group was gone. Simple. Yet he chose to make a point by arguing with him. The guy was shaking and if it was not clear to him by the time he  had innocently touched the woman and then the guy began his ''don't touch her'' line over and over and over it should have been clear that that cat was out of his mind, for whatever reason. Time to walk away and let the dust settle. Come back tomorrow.

Walking away may have been better, but then not standing up to a bully is not wise, is it?

To me, the real story here is how most of the Chinese live their lives looking over their shoulder and in constant fear of saying or doing the wrong thing.
"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."
- Benjamin Franklin -

(02-21-2024, 03:06 PM)Blaine91555 Wrote: Walking away may have been better, but then not standing up to a bully is not wise, is it?

To me, the real story here is how most of the Chinese live their lives looking over their shoulder and in constant fear of saying or doing the wrong thing.

Years ago, my son worked with a well known entertainment group. One of the attractions was a Chinese troupe from which he met a charming young woman. They struck up a nice relationship until one evening he was approached by one of the handlers of the group and informed or rather threatened that the relationship could go no further and in fact was over.

I've stood up to bullies and my experience is that there are bullies and there are psycho bullies. This guys demeanor did not just indicate a bully nor even a psycho bully though that might also have been the case but much more a fearful bully, not from the immediate threat or personal glee at bullying but rather the threat to his own welfare from the bigger bullies up the line. My point being mostly here was that there was really no battle to be won as the entire line of power here could not be pushed back by this simple encounter.
In my opinion, the Chinese 'enforcer' had lost the fight the moment he raised his voice and shouted at Dr Kavanagh for effect. The Chinese vistors needed to show a little respect as the guy was already playing the piano and was being recorded before they showed up.
They showed the CCP for what it truely is, a controlling bully.

"Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful planning." 
Charles Tremper
(02-21-2024, 07:17 PM)PhyloCFly Wrote:  
One could hope that at some point the Chinese people, who suffer at the hands of the Party, will realize that no nation's leaders can stand up to a united populace.
- Benjamin Franklin -