deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
'Being Offended' Thread.
Well this is an old ATS thread but allow me to revive it.

[Image: fy6053b35a.png]

Seems 'being offended' is quite a popular pastime for a certain section of society these days and don't know if anyone agrees with George but thought there were some very valid points being made in the vid below by folks like Hitchens, Fry, Dawkins etc.

Got to love Hitchens when he refers to political correctness as 'sinister piffle' lol.

[Video: https://youtu.be/78OevDyH7-Y]

Also some thoughtful quotes here and reckon the best one I've heard is that 'being offended is the collateral damage of free speech' (Ricky Gervais).

Don't know whether it's all some insidious plot to oppress intellectual discourse but there does seem to be an awful lot of hysterical censorship going on.

Would be interested in any opinions out there (offended or otherwise).

Beer
Aussie comedian Steve Hughes is a very wise man lol - he goes off on PC around 3:20 but the whole clip is well worth a watch.

[Video: https://youtu.be/fHMoDt3nSHs]

Beer
(06-04-2024, 08:54 AM)Karl12 Wrote: Well this is an old ATS thread but allow me to revive it.

[Image: https://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/i...53b35a.png]

Seems 'being offended' is quite a popular pastime for a certain section of society these days and don't know if anyone agrees with George but thought there were some very valid points being made in the vid below by folks like Hitchens, Fry, Dawkins etc.

Got to love Hitchens when he refers to political correctness as 'sinister piffle' lol.

[Video: https://youtu.be/78OevDyH7-Y]

Also some thoughtful quotes here and reckon the best one I've heard is that 'being offended is the collateral damage of free speech' (Ricky Gervais).

Don't know whether it's all some insidious plot to oppress intellectual discourse but there does seem to be an awful lot of hysterical censorship going on.

Would be interested in any opinions out there (offended or otherwise).

Beer

George Carlin was a legend and whenever I wanted to criticise political correctness my mind was always going to him and Christopher Hitchens.
Offense, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

It is significant that comedians can literally make a living being rude.  They often deliberately flaunt the boundaries that "regular folks" place around themselves to "avoid being offended."  Maybe that could be partly why it's funny.

But as litigious human beings, we want to model and codify our reality... making "rules" about how you may "hurt" people and avoid a punch in the face, or a seriously damaged relationship.

I think the problems arise when anyone feels 'entitled' to not be offended.  It has led to many problems, and occasional serious damage, when a 'victim' of offense becomes determined to exact 'equal and opposite' offense.  Usually "equal" is as vague and undefinable as "justice" when the "offended" is the sole arbiter.

What I am most interested in is the type of "offense" cited which requires 'effort' to contrive.

I am of the opinion that "free speech" is not a right... I would rather consider it a "responsibility."  And what of those who 'resent' responsibilities?  

I may offend anyone in the course of my utterances (spoken or written.)  And equally important, I am ready to risk being offended by listening (or reading) the what anyone might communicate.  Otherwise, what am I?

(Darn it! I slipped off-track there a bit... sorry about that.)
(06-04-2024, 06:59 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I think the problems arise when anyone feels 'entitled' to "not be offended. " 

Sure you didn't intend this, altho valid.
Being the only female where I work  the above statement couldn't be truer.

I'm entitled not to be offended by graphic sex jokes, joker co-worker identifying now as any inanimate object, told that work is for men, not picked for overtime just so the guys can have a guy day,  basically every politically incorrect sentence, thought, or action is the "norm".

Have had many other coworkers INSIST I should be offended!
Calling HR to come over cause someone said or did something offensive and I need HR. No, no I don't and that kind of overstepping just gets me pissed, not offended. Convincing people that there is no problem, I don't care, mostly it's funny anyways. BTW I'll be first to call that "special snowflake" "Special Bus"an run to grab a "butt hurt" complaint form for them.

Yes, yes I DO have a right not to be offended.
You don't get to be offended for me. Hand to God I wish I was kidding about this.
(06-04-2024, 08:12 PM)jaded Wrote: Sure you didn't intend this, altho valid.
Being the only female where I work  the above statement couldn't be truer.

Your point is well taken.

I never meant to say that nothing should offend anyone... but that may be how it came out...

I swear, language is hard. Biggrin
So I don't remember the ATS thread, is this just about offensive media, or using offensive things for whatever. Or just a thread to post offensive things?

In any case...

Bryan Warner made it a career. Took the Alice Cooper Framework and went more shock rock with it. As an affiliate of The Church of Satan, no less. Granted copywrite use of insignias for his Antichrist Superstar crossed with The Rocky Horror Picture Show persona.

[Video: https://youtu.be/mdwZV4Y95Nw?si=4dVh88VOVwRqR5Rh]

This one reminds me of a dugout cheer grown up into a stripper song.

And the rap version of that has to be Eminem. I suppose those other Detroit clowns could qualify, but they were more of a proto-incel joke rather than genuinely offensive.
[Image: 6qxPamS.jpeg]
(06-04-2024, 05:41 PM)K218b Wrote: George Carlin was a legend and whenever I wanted to criticise political correctness my mind was always going to him and Christopher Hitchens.

Couldn't agree more about George mate and perhaps he's absolutely right about political correctness being (ab)used as an excuse for more authoritarian control (or 'facism' as he puts it).

I know it's from 'The Sun' but also thought a lot of great points were being made in this interview with Titania McGrath co creator Andrew Doyle - it's a bit long but he does describe how Scottish police are actually now threatening people with home visits for 'offending' people.

[Video: https://youtu.be/IqQBLIzDDUQ]

Beer
(06-04-2024, 06:59 PM)Maxmars Wrote: Offense, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes it's absolutely subjective mate and maybe that's why Peter Hitchens is describing the weaponization of it by the State 'sinister' and 'terrifying'.

2:20

Also thought Thomas raised a good point here about subjective 'feelings' and objective reality.

[Image: hq607b0008.jpg]

Beer
(06-04-2024, 10:34 PM)IdeomotorPrisoner Wrote: is this just about offensive media, or using offensive things for whatever. Or just a thread to post offensive things?

Wouldn't say it's any of those things mate but thanks for the reply - suppose it's more about 'offense culture' being used to usher in 'Big Brother' style authoritarianism (or being used as a tactic to shut down legitimate political debate).

Don't know if you agree but did like this quote:

Quote:• "Right now we live in an age of extreme Political Correctness. It has gone way too far. I hope it's just a phase. Political Correctness is now just a fancy word for censorship. It's no longer about protecting the weak. It has become an excuse to persecute others, because persecuting people is fun. Don't you dare say or think the wrong thing, or a Twitter mob of angry villagers will come after you with digital torches and metaphorical pitchforks.'

Oliver Markus Malloy

Don't agree with everything the man says but also thought some fair points were made here.

[Video: https://youtu.be/44pERGAaKHw]

Beer