deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Advice on my new food lifestyle please - ommitting ultra processed foods
(02-06-2024, 10:43 AM)MissBeck Wrote: Wow! What a great personal story! Thank you! And some great tips.
I must admit, I only eat the fruit because normally at work all I used to eat was digestive biscuits, and my lunch of course, and figured the fruit was healthier than the biscuits, even though I'm aware of the sugar content in fruit. I actually took 2 tiny oranges today, but didn't enjoy them at all. I could eat grapes like sweets, but I'd ran out of all other fruit today. By 10.30am I was actually hungry, so ate half my sandwich!

Yeah, I've got to find mine first though. Lol Lol It's in there somewhere.

Yes, oranges lately are either unripe and sour or 'mealy'. What's going on with oranges? I miss a nice juicy ripe orange.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-10-2024, 06:55 AM)quintessentone Wrote: Yes, oranges lately are either unripe and sour or 'mealy'. What's going on with oranges? I miss a nice juicy ripe orange.

Guess what Q, I've bought myself a weighted Hula Hoop!! And it's evil! Not one of them with the balls, but a hoop that weighs 2.5 lbs, but it has nobbles on the insides on some of the sections, and they hurt!! There are reviews of it with pictures showing how they bruise people! Shocked Shocked I only tried it twice, for seconds at a time, and it's PAINFUL!
(02-12-2024, 10:57 AM)MissBeck Wrote: Guess what Q, I've bought myself a weighted Hula Hoop!! And it's evil! Not one of them with the balls, but a hoop that weighs 2.5 lbs, but it has nobbles on the insides on some of the sections, and they hurt!! There are reviews of it with pictures showing how they bruise people! Shocked Shocked I only tried it twice, for seconds at a time, and it's PAINFUL!

Yeah, I've bought exercise gadgets along the way too and they never worked out for me. I'll stick with walking, light dancing for the goldfish, housework, stretching/yoga and cutting down on food portion sizes especially carbs and let the chips fall where they may. I'm older now and other things besides losing weight are taking priority...like chilling out. Thanks for the warning about the weighted hula hoop, because that would have been a gadget I would have purchased.

What is it with these gadgets where the manufacturer needs to add 'nobbles' that hurt - are they sadistic against overweight people or what?  Puzzled

Plato's Chariot Allegory
This guy talks a lotta sense, though he swears a lot, just warning ya. linky
(02-13-2024, 09:49 AM)sprocketuk Wrote: This guy talks a lotta sense, though he swears a lot, just warning ya. linky

I'm not sure whether or not a guy can really understand how a woman's body works with fat retention and other things like that. I remember at one job a co-workers husband decided that he would become a personal trainer and had his wife join him in his specific program - she ended up looking like him and not at all feminine.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-03-2024, 04:41 PM)MissBeck Wrote: Evening all!
I want a bit of advice regarding a change in my eating habits I've made for the new year. Basically, I'm trying to avoid all ultra processed foods, and mainly eating fruit, veg, meats, eggs and a bit of fish. I've cut out white bread, which I loved, and now make my own wholemeal bread in my breadmaker, and I eat 2 sandwiches a week, so four slices a week (I only make a small loaf). I've also swapped white rice for brown, and normal pasta for wholewheat pasta. Still have milk (Skimmed)

Now, so far it's been going okay. I've lost 11 pounds since January 1st, although I can't see it in the mirror yet. But...I downloaded an app called 'Weight Loss' by the NHS. This recommends I eat 1700 calories a day, and I am finding this impossible!! I am lucky to be touching 1000 a day, and 250 of that is drinks! I really do log everything down in the app, even to a sneaky strawberry Quality Street. So does anyone know if by NOT reaching this calorie target I'm stressing my body out?

I know I'm deficient in Vitamin D and Folic Acid as shown in recent blood work done in December 2023, and my Dr has put me on supplements for them, but apart from that I'm hoping this new diet will boost those again through a correct diet.

My usual day is a banana for breakfast (At my desk at work), grapes for mid break, a sandwich or jacket potato for lunch, and then meat/fish and veg for my evening meal. I just can't see how to eat more calories!

Anyone got any tips for me??

I would recommend that you count your added daily sugar intake as it adds up fast. Even many "heathly" sports drinks arent good for you. I went on from a switch from Gatorade to Body Armor Lyte and my suger jumpped 20+ points in three months. I am now drinking Gatorade Zero and suger came right back down.
(02-13-2024, 11:26 AM)quintessentone Wrote: I'm not sure whether or not a guy can really understand how a woman's body works with fat retention and other things like that.

I suppose a doctor can. Smile
Stop with the brown rice. It's not better for you. 

Why I always eat WHITE rice ? instead of BROWN! ? (youtube.com)

Look at this, it goes for 1 minute. watch the whole minute. Coming from a Fitness Pro.
(02-14-2024, 05:03 AM)DaRAGE Wrote: Stop with the brown rice. It's not better for you. 

Look at this, it goes for 1 minute. watch the whole minute. Coming from a Fitness Pro.

I really like brown basmati in a chilli or nasi goreng...but yeah, always leaves me starving soon after dinner in a way that say a phall with white basmati or pilau doesn't.

(02-13-2024, 11:26 AM)quintessentone Wrote: I'm not sure whether or not a guy can really understand how a woman's body works with fat retention and other things like that. I remember at one job a co-workers husband decided that he would become a personal trainer and had his wife join him in his specific program - she ended up looking like him and not at all feminine.

from what I have seen his comments seem limited to telling women not to worry about a little fluctuation with the scales around that time of the month.
(02-14-2024, 05:03 AM)DaRAGE Wrote: Stop with the brown rice. It's not better for you. 

Shocked Shocked Now I'm confused all over again!! The internet has so much conflicting advice!! Luckily, I only eat rice a couple of times a month anyway, so not such a big problem, although like Sprocket, I was a basmati rice person before.

Thanks for the link! Thumbup

(02-13-2024, 12:53 PM)Waterglass Wrote: I would recommend that you count your added daily sugar intake as it adds up fast. Even many "heathly" sports drinks arent good for you. I went on from a switch from Gatorade to Body Armor Lyte and my suger jumpped 20+ points in three months. I am now drinking Gatorade Zero and suger came right back down.

I'm not one for fizzy drinks anyway, so I'm good there, although I am struggling to cut the sugar in my tea and coffee. I only have 1 teaspoon, but without it, my drink sucks! And I refuse to use sweetners/saccharin.