deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Patterson-Gimlin Footage.
Yeah but a couple of things first I appreciate the discussion, I can't sleep and have been up all night. LOL, I can get wordy and go off on a tangent. You know when you have been sick a couple of days and you wish you would just croak and then you feel better

Regardless Im not married to the suit question one way or another. It's just a guilty pleasure, I went and saw The Legend of Boggy Creek at the theaters it always stuck with me, then I saw In Search of with Mr Spock LOL it stuck even more in this 6 year old kid's mind

To be honest, Ive read more about Bigfoot than a man my age should have, and have heard a lot of theories, one of the most plausible fake suit theories that resonated with me, was that it was well known Patterson had money issues IIRC just wanted to get money for more expeditions and didn't realize how big the video would blow up. He just thought it would be dismissed mostly, but he might be able to get a sponsor for his trips 

It's one of the reasons I signed up for the Bigfoot Forum.com It is full of believers but it's got its skeptics too, which leads to knowledgeable discussions. Let's just put it this way quite a few people have put in lots of time and effort over the years with zero chance for financial renumeration. 

Funny seeing Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch used to watch F Troop all the time  LOL that gorilla was shorter than Larry BTW another California legend, Forrest Tucker had big feet among other appendages

http://www.themunnsreport.com/tmr%20firs...alysis.pdf
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
The trouble is dozens of people have claimed to be the man who wore the suit in the footage, and costumer Phillip Morris claimed to have designed and created the creature suit, but the details of their accounts often conflict and none of them have brought forward definitive proof to debunk the film yet. Thats why I think the footage will always have its beleivers and unbelievers.

https://wildmanofthewoods.com/blog/unvei...thenticity
Quote:Bill Munns, a recognized expert in special effects and a creature suit fabricator, in his book "When Roger Met Patty," leans towards the film's authenticity. Munns' analysis, based on the creature's anatomy, movement, and the challenges of creating a convincing costume in the 1960s, adds significant weight to the argument for authenticity.

"Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful planning." 
Charles Tremper
Bigfoot is a cultural phenomenon/legend in the PNW.

On the one hand, we have a number of credible people who have reported seeing “Bigfoot” or “something” in the woods. There’s also the foot prints that have been found for a long time.

On the other hand, I think the PG footage that really kicked off Bigfoot mania is a hoax. It’s the butt that makes me say this is a guy in a suit. I think it’s a high quality hoax/suit but then again it’s far enough away that it wouldn’t need to be perfect.

Here’s a video of a gorilla walking:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYzogbTs0w

If you think about how most bi-pedal creatures move there’s some movement go the butt via the hips. Perhaps Bigfoot’s physiology is different - and I can’t prove it’s not - but I also can’t prove it is.

All-in, I wouldn’t be shocked at all if there are “creatures” or oddities in the woods or have existed previously. Bigfoot - or something like it - may well exist. However, I don’t think this footage is the real deal.

Lastly, and I can’t find the case I’m referencing, I recall there was a story in the last 25 years or so where “something” was in the woods near a fairly inhabited area. This prompted a response of the feds coming in and closing down the area, blocking off the woods, military personnel had no logos and all black uniforms and some people were going in/out of the woods in hazmat suits. This was all on the heels of a resident (or perhaps residents) observing something very odd. To me, that case was a far more compelling argument that “Bigfoot”, or something akin to it, exists.
It always struck me as weird.

On the one hand I can understand that some people are inclined to tittering glee over 'fooling' everybody and hoaxing something.  It's a vanity/ego thing.  And often it is very much funny.  Presuming no one gets hurt.

But to dedicate oneself to a life surrounding the continuation of the hoax seems more like an obsession, a passion, a life-long 'hobby', or a genuine 'job.'

It seems unreasonable to point at one guy, or even two, (or three and four) and say "They hoaxed us" when their is no way on earth they could possibly account for the literal thousands of sighting and encounters across the globe over decades and decades.  It has similarity with crop-circle phenomena in that regard.

I feel the jury is still, ultimately, "out" on the potential for a relatively large hominid creature surviving over time, undiscovered... but that is not to say that some might not find it profitable or desirable to exploit such a belief.

The bigfoot suit controversy seems superfluous... as it can only address a single instance (or two) of the story.  It seems a lot of effort, for a chuckle here or there.