deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Things You Still Eat That You Loved As a Kid
Hi Nerb! Here's my very odd list...lol

Chocolate gravy and buttered biscuits with a side of bacon

Hollow chocolate easter bunnies ( i pretended they were for my son. He didn't like them so I got him peeps)

Stewed potatoes over cornbread with a chunked onion

100% antibiotic free steak from a grass fed cow......cooked rare

Fried okra (olive oil or coconut oil to fry) with just peeled and slice tomatos.

Hot sour pickles with fileted crappie!

Cool
Condensed milk sarnies.

Yum!
Chicken and dumplings are hands down my all-time favorite food. Now, something that I used to eat, and which I would love to eat again, would be my grandmother's homemade biscuits with bacon gravy. There's a reason most of the folks in the family have high blood pressure; that would be one of them. I've got her cast-iron skillet, mixing bowl, rolling pin, and sifter, yet I still can't quite duplicate it.
(05-15-2024, 08:02 PM)RookQueen Wrote: Hollow chocolate easter bunnies ( i pretended they were for my son. He didn't like them so I got him peeps)

Yes! I am also a fan of those type of hollow chocolate things. At easter time they would sell all sorts of chocolate treats and often with other sweets inside but the hollow chocolate was the best. The first cracking of them was enjoyable.

I've been reading through most of the replies here AND I'M REALLY HUNGRY NOW. Tumble

One other thing I remembered that I used to eat a lot of is Poached Eggs on Marmite Toast with loads of butter.

I must hunt down some Marmite. Really expensive here in France but worth it for the amazing flavour and great for a late night snack on toast.

I used to eat it off a tea spoon as a kid.

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
Although it has to be one of the worst things I could eat...
I'm really into fried bologna sandwiches with mustard lately...
Couldn't stand them for years after eating too much of it as a child.
(05-12-2024, 08:33 AM)Kurokage Wrote: My choice in food depends on my mood and changes often but....
I still love some proper Cornish Pasties, it's heaven in pastry.
One of my all time favorites as a kid had to be Toad-in-the-Hole.
[Video: https://youtu.be/zsIbAhUOV9k?si=NBrUv7p6bPPefaq8]

Man, I watched the video that sounds so savory and delicious, the red onion beef stock with brown sugar gravy Im not sure we have an American analog. We used to to do a frog in  the hole, which is nothing but bread cookie cutter a hole and grilled in a pan with a cracked egg in the hole.         

The Yorkshire pudding sounds a whole lot like our pancake batter which of course works wonderful with sausages
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
I can no longer visit this thread....

It makes me too hungry!  Lol
I still eat Cream of Wheat for breakfast, as a kid it was with just butter and brown sugar or maple syrup, cinnamon etc, A sweet breakfast. Which is still excellent with sausages or bacon, either separated or chopped and mixed all together.

but as an adult, I prefer a more savory version and skipping the sugar, with cheese and an egg. You can use whatever cheese you prefer and can mix in bacon, ham, or sausage a little butter its my goto breakfast 

Even works in the microwave cook the creme of wheat crack in an egg and mix well add some cheese cook another 1-2 minutes top with cooked bacon, ham, or sausage. Nice warm breakfast in a bowl.

Another guilty pleasure from childhood country ham with biscuits and red eye gravy, but it's so bad for you with the sodium and the caffeine.
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....