deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Are We Alone In The Galaxy? Updated Drake Equation Suggests We Might Be
(06-06-2024, 05:47 AM)K218b Wrote: Who said anything about intelligent design ?

The quote feature I normally use doesn't seem to be available, so I'll just do two replies this time.

Apparently you just did. I might've been 'implying' it, but I never said it. I did say that probabilistic theories/formulas such as the Drake Equation and the Fermi Paradox would be less meaningful if there exists a "design element" at the core. 

Your quote that I'm replying here seems a bit lazy, pointless, and/or rushed. What difference does it make whether or not anyone previously "said anything" about it? I entered it into the discussion in forming a point which was conveniently ignored in paving the way for this flippant comment of yours.

(06-06-2024, 05:47 AM)K218b Wrote: I think you started your reply with a huge assertion but nevertheless it's a good point for debate.

I'm not exactly sure of its magnitude, and you seem to be a little off with your assessment here. In the context I provided it was more of a hypothesis or maybe even a theory, but not quite an "assertion", let alone a "huge" one.

It's true, I did go on about it a bit though, but it does seem relevant since design and probability do appear to be somewhat at odds with one another in a cosmological setting.

Probability is a dice roll, and to paraphrase Einstein "God doesn't roll dice with the universe.", or you could also say that a design element eliminates dice rolls altogether, which is not to say that there could not exist any trivial probabilities as part of a designed universe since we know this to not be the case, or one might even go so far as to hypothesize that even trivial probabilities are actually not even probabilistic at all but are in fact ingrained as part of a deterministic model.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are We Alone In The Galaxy? Updated Drake Equation Suggests We Might Be - by CCoburn - 06-06-2024, 12:04 PM