deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Light Show of Illusions
Having googled many and various sources, I have an answer.

The simple explanation is we can't see the difference.

We are only able to see visible light in less than one octave in frequency, but we can hear sound in 9 or 10 octaves. That is, our eyes cannot see a wide enough range to see a visible effect.

I also think it isn't really possible to modulate something at light frequencies. Most light producers are just fed with power and this power is modulated to carry sound or codes like a remote control but the actual light is still just a light bulb varying in intensity instead of the actual wave form. A signal can be sent but the carrier, the light, is still just the light wave form.

We are just not capable of building a signal generator that works at light frequencies yet. We rely on the emitter to generate the light when powered.

Even the incandescent bulbs alternating at 60 times a second still produce light that is way higher frequency. The input power frequency is not really related to the output frequency but can exist on it as noise.

Basically form microwaves on up, everything is just like a whistle. You can make or louder or softer. You can tune it by adjusting it physically, changing the cavity size, etc.. You can turn it on and off. You can't make it generate a wave form from an input wave.

There are some advanced techniques of mixing different sources within a band to make a specific frequency but from what I understand, they are sign waves and not shapeable in wave form.

The fluorescent flickering is mainly the bulb failing to maintain the plasma and continuously restarting. And the loud hum in some fluorescent fixtures is most likely from being mistakenly put on the high leg of a commercial system and therefore getting too much voltage. The bulb doesn't care but the stronger magnetic field vibrates the ballast case. I found this out fixing some fluorescent lights. I moved a breaker to another phase and the buzz went away. That breaker was on the high leg originally, getting 208 instead of 120 volts.
Does anyone know the minimum safe distance of ignorance?

Messages In This Thread
The Light Show of Illusions - by CCoburn - 06-28-2024, 05:04 PM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by Maxmars - 06-28-2024, 06:03 PM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by Nerb - 06-28-2024, 06:11 PM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by CCoburn - 06-30-2024, 06:19 AM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by BeyondKnowledge - 06-28-2024, 10:45 PM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by broccoli - 06-30-2024, 07:18 AM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by CCoburn - 06-30-2024, 07:51 AM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by broccoli - 06-30-2024, 07:57 AM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by OneStepBack - 07-01-2024, 04:04 AM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by CCoburn - 07-02-2024, 06:39 AM
RE: The Light Show of Illusions - by OneStepBack - 07-03-2024, 04:52 AM