deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows Update Mimics Malware
Windows Update Mimics Malware

I haven't really looked into this, and at this point it's just an observation, but the last few times Windows does one of its updates it acts more like a covertly intrusive program than an OS.

I'll have a few apps open, and all of the sudden they become non-responsive to mouse clicks and everything just basically freezes up - I automatically begin thinking virus or similar.

Task Manager won't open to end processes, so I proceed to a shut down.

There isn't any message whatsoever that Windows is doing an update. In the past I used to see an icon in the system tray, but not anymore.

Lately Windows just assumes complete and utter control of the computer rendering everything else totally unusable without any indication whatsoever that it is one of its infamous updates that is behind the attack.

However, while proceeding with the shut down and at the finale of this fiasco, I do eventually get a message that Windows update is behind all of this nonsense.

I have no idea if this is just something peculiar to me or how many other users might be experiencing this, but it just seems weirdly unusual is all.
I have experienced the same.  Much to my frustration.

I recall at one point reinstalling a program over and over, until I realized there was some unannounced embedded process mucking up the works... and no, it wasn't a virus as I feared, it was the operating system performing "as advertised" somewhere deep in the user agreement.

I remember advising people that eventually, the much-used, almost ubiquitous commercial operating systems will begin to "use" us, instead of us using it.

"Pushing" software updates happen when you really don't "own" what's on your device.  Most "user agreements" are now all for the benefit of the business... and all most e-businesses do is "take."
(06-12-2024, 07:27 AM)CCoburn Wrote: Windows Update Mimics Malware

I haven't really looked into this, and at this point it's just an observation, but the last few times Windows does one of its updates it acts more like a covertly intrusive program than an OS.

I'll have a few apps open, and all of the sudden they become non-responsive to mouse clicks and everything just basically freezes up - I automatically begin thinking virus or similar.

Task Manager won't open to end processes, so I proceed to a shut down.

There isn't any message whatsoever that Windows is doing an update. In the past I used to see an icon in the system tray, but not anymore.

Lately Windows just assumes complete and utter control of the computer rendering everything else totally unusable without any indication whatsoever that it is one of its infamous updates that is behind the attack.

However, while proceeding with the shut down and at the finale of this fiasco, I do eventually get a message that Windows update is behind all of this nonsense.

I have no idea if this is just something peculiar to me or how many other users might be experiencing this, but it just seems weirdly unusual is all.

Yes, that happened to me a couple of hours ago. What happens in my case is that when I get hold of the shutdown menu (which tends to hide itself) I now find "Restart and update" as one of the options. That's how they tell me.
I mean, Jesus Christ if they're going to grab hold of your computer in such a hostile manner, the least they could do is let you know that they're 'the good guys"; give you a heads up - anything - Microsofts' OS etiquette seems to have gone down the tubes lately.

We're goin' down the tubes

— George Carlin
Control your own systems folks.

Can't you disable windows updates for everyday use and then close everything at a certain time to then re-enable updates to let it do it's thing? Then, the next time you turn on the system, disable updates again until you are prepared to do the whole rigmaroll again?

I know many things these days will only run on the latest windows operating system but I still do fine with Windows 7 pro 64bit and there are no more updates and I turned them off years ago pretty much after the initial install.

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
(06-12-2024, 06:01 PM)Nerb Wrote: Control your own systems folks.

Can't you disable windows updates for everyday use and then close everything at a certain time to then re-enable updates to let it do it's thing? Then, the next time you turn on the system, disable updates again until you are prepared to do the whole rigmaroll again?

I know many things these days will only run on the latest windows operating system but I still do fine with Windows 7 pro 64bit and there are no more updates and I turned them off years ago pretty much after the initial install.

On Windows 10 you can pause the updates for up to 35 days and then they are automatically re-enabled.

I optimize my PC maybe once or twice a year by eliminating unused apps, disabling unnecessary processes, and cleaning up the HD. Aside from that I'm not much of a nanny to MS's OS, but sure, I may be 'forced' to look into something if it becomes too much of a problem.

I also optimize the BIOS boot time on occasion and some of the above helps with the OS boot time; other times I may not do anything for a while and contract squeaky wheel syndome as a prelude - like now.

I know there were some that despised Windows 10 and resorted back to their prior OS, and sometimes I think if things get any worse I might switch over to Linux, but I never do. I did use Linux once a couple decades ago and they did have a couple of GUI's to choose from similar to Windows.
11 strait up bricked my machine - wrote about it in another thread.

Tried Linux again for a while but couldn’t get the mods to working in my favorite game (Skyrim) so I reinstalled 11 offline mode and refused Microsoft account, turned off updates for maximum time, and everything was fine… until windows force updated and instantly destroyed my system again. 

not as bad as last time but my game locks up every 15-30 minutes and system strait up hard locks every few hours.

11 strait up pisses me off now. But can’t play modded Skyrim without it.
(06-13-2024, 10:41 AM)pianopraze Wrote: Tried Linux again for a while but couldn’t get the mods to working in my favorite game (Skyrim) so I reinstalled 11...

That's a good point. Linux might not even be a solution, but just trading one issue for one or more other issues - waste of time just to end up right back where you started from.
(06-13-2024, 03:17 PM)CCoburn Wrote: That's a good point. Linux might not even be a solution, but just trading one issue for one or more other issues - waste of time just to end up right back where you started from.

If anyone wants a machine for common things like word processing, email, games (but maybe not a specific one), etc. Linux is better than old windows versions.  They can even customize it to look and act like windows version of their choice - mostly.

if they have specialized use case such as specific game or app they might still be ok such as ditch adobe and use divinci for video editing.

some things are even better such as server and coding from what I hear.

it is a learning curve, and each instal has unique issues that come up.

it is the point it can be a daily driver.
(06-17-2024, 08:07 AM)pianopraze Wrote: If anyone wants a machine for common things like word processing, email, games (but maybe not a specific one), etc. Linux is better than old windows versions.  They can even customize it to look and act like windows version of their choice - mostly.

if they have specialized use case such as specific game or app they might still be ok such as ditch adobe and use divinci for video editing.

some things are even better such as server and coding from what I hear.

it is a learning curve, and each instal has unique issues that come up.

it is the point it can be a daily driver.

if you go the linux route i recommend something with a kde plasma desktop environment you will feel at home if you are use to windows setup

also if you're a gamer I recommend you download Lutris, you will love it

In fact if anyone does go to linux I will even hold your hand through the entire process

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."