deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who You Gonna Call???
Ghostbusters!!

An enterprising group of Thai students started a business where they will sleep in a house or an apartment and certify the place to be "ghost free"... (here's the story: https://www.odditycentral.com/news/thai-...rvice.html)

So... would you be a client or a ghostbuster?

I've done a little ghost chasing in my time and would be delighted if someone would pay me to stay somewhere and prove there's no ghost there.
This kind of got me thinking about Thailand, and how their culture regards ghosts.

I mean, you say "ghost" in the U.S. and within a minute someone makes a "Ghostbusters" reference or invokes a meme to that effect.  But in other countries, even some very 'civilized' ones, you say "ghost" and people get serious (even if only a little.)  I expect Thailand is closer to the latter, than the former (although I've never been.)

From a purely capitalistic viewpoint the students are engaging in a genius enterprise.  Practically zero investment and a literally "captive" client-base.  The fact that it hasn't been done in the U.S. before is sort of surprising. 

This kind of thing was mostly monopolized by religious institutions in the western world... even the attempt to "engage" with a presumed errant spiritual entity was proscribed and or made to appear 'dangerous' in the public mind.

I wonder how successful they will be?

Cool stuff!  Thumbup
(02-21-2024, 02:56 PM)Maxmars Wrote: This kind of got me thinking about Thailand, and how their culture regards ghosts.

I mean, you say "ghost" in the U.S. and within a minute someone makes a "Ghostbusters" reference or invokes a meme to that effect.  But in other countries, even some very 'civilized' ones, you say "ghost" and people get serious (even if only a little.)  I expect Thailand is closer to the latter, than the former (although I've never been.)

From a purely capitalistic viewpoint the students are engaging in a genius enterprise.  Practically zero investment and a literally "captive" client-base.  The fact that it hasn't been done in the U.S. before is sort of surprising. 

This kind of thing was mostly monopolized by religious institutions in the western world... even the attempt to "engage" with a presumed errant spiritual entity was proscribed and or made to appear 'dangerous' in the public mind.

I wonder how successful they will be?

Cool stuff!  Thumbup

At the same time, if we pay close attention to popular culture, we may find that a genuine belief in the benevolent watching of the recently departed is surprisingly persistent even in the West.
There have been a coupe of "groups" who do this here and some get themselves in over their head. 

Thailand, yeah its not anymore exotic than[insert place name here]. Some white guy I knew was over there and for shits and giggles he was asking street vendors how much to buy some "Buddhism". Its a shame he wasnt put under a firing squad, but I say that about a loot of folk.

I'm a superstitious person, I have suffered because of it. That just re--enforces my world view.
I was not here.
I don't think spending one or two nights in a place and having nothing happen equates to 'ghost free'.   Ghosts come and go.   Sometimes very active, sometimes slightly active so you only know they are there if you are paying attention, sometimes they are dead quiet.  (pardon the pun ha ha).  

I think there are ghosts everywhere, all the time.   Everybody has them hanging around.  Ghosts and spirits (angels, demons, etc).   Every house we've lived in (5) and every apartment have had spooks.   I think everyone has them it's just that they don't pay close attention and miss the ones that don't have as much energy as others.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(02-22-2024, 02:50 PM)FlyersFan Wrote: I don't think spending one or two nights in a place and having nothing happen equates to 'ghost free'.   Ghosts come and go.   Sometimes very active, sometimes slightly active so you only know they are there if you are paying attention, sometimes they are dead quiet.  (pardon the pun ha ha).  

I think there are ghosts everywhere, all the time.   Everybody has them hanging around.  Ghosts and spirits (angels, demons, etc).   Every house we've lived in (5) and every apartment have had spooks.   I think everyone has them it's just that they don't pay close attention and miss the ones that don't have as much energy as others.

They couldn't use anything of what you said in their marketing!   Lol

But seriously, I often wonder if it is also a matter of the observer. 

Some people demonstrate distinct sensitivities. Others, while presumably sensitive, seem to 'bolster' themselves to 'reject' them.  Some seems completely oblivious, and presumably don't sense anything at all.  Add to this the potential that there is actually nothing there, and it creates a lot of doubt.

I tend to be forgiving when it comes to 'ghost' stories. I can't be certain, but I am inclined to place this under the heading of "Scientists reject." (I get it, how can you study that which defies measurement?)

But I also accept, without reservation, that scientists don't know every damn thing in the universe

... personal experiences have led me to welcome 'more' data, not 'less.'  Case: Not closed.