deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When Tabloids Go Off The Rails - Worshiping AI
Clickbait.  Ya gotta have clickbait these days.  So how's this for a title: "Humans will soon be worshipping AI chatbots as gods, experts warn!"

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-...source=nba

There's a lot less there than the headline implies.  But don't forget to tremble in fear, because the article continues "Experts believe people might ditch traditional religion for tech-based beliefs. They warned the responses by bots, such as ChatGPT, were luring people to seek higher meaning from them."

I can see people with certain medical conditions buying into this (the guys who stand on the street corners, shouting garbled Bible verses, for instance.)  I've seen people argue with chatbots (not knowing that they were arguing with a chatbot) -- but I'm having a hard time seeing how an AI could present itself as a deity in any credible way.  "Worship me or I'll turn off your lights?"  (oh sweetie, let me introduce you to my candles.)  

And as a former programmer, I can't see putting that much reliance on something like an algorithm trained on who knows what database.

I would use it to explore medical conditions, I would use it for a lot of things... but I don't think there's that many who would worship it and I think the "expert" is simply doing a lot of personal speculating and the reporter is running with something that will grab eyeballs.

I'll get into the robot Zen priest(s) in another post.
the difference here is that you know programing. Ask the average person how Windows work and see how little they know about such things. 

Anyways this is besides the point. Of course an AI written story will tell us how there will be a day when AI will be worshipped as gods. It's like the grasshoppers in "A Bugs Life", they create an environment of fear, then control people by controlling the fear. The Ai says it's time to sleep, so it shuts the public power down for the people. After a few years like this, people will automatically go to bed when the power is off, regardless if the AI did it or if was due to a storm.
People are already doing AI girlfriends with full awareness and actually getting invested, so who know how stupid things might get. Add in a little neuralink and accelerate.
I think I have to agree with guyfriday and Halfswede.  Like that science fiction classic stated:  fear is the great mind-killer.
Divide peoples and keep them off kilter and/or afraid.