deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the significance of this?
Asking because i am not American so cant allways understand all details and customs .

NDAA bill passed

[Image: 5yvLoMx.jpeg]

Michael Tracey X
Quote:Wow! For the first time since 1972, the NDAA bill passed today by the House would automatically register all males age 18-26 for Selective Service in the Military. For the past 52 years, males were required to register on their own, but compliance had reportedly been lagging

US military draft: Bill would require women to register for Selective Service

National Defense Authorization Act passes U.S. House with amendments from Nebraska representative

One thing comes to mind......that war is coming ? Rolleyes
So, this has been around for a while in concept.  It basically boils down to this, if you have a Social Security Number, and you are between the age of 18 and 26, you will automatically be registered for the draft.  Prior to this, as the quoted article states, it was the responsibility of the individual to go down to the Post Office and fill out a Selective Service Registration card.  Nothing has really changed, it's just now it happens automatically.  Before, when the individual did it themselves they could (I guess) decide they weren't going to fill out the form and then (I don't know), renounce their citizenship / leave the country (??)  It was still a violation of federal law if you didn't do it.  So, really, the only difference now is, people just don't have the option of violating federal law anymore because the registration is automatic.

Bottom line, not a big difference from the way it was before...unless you intended not to do it which, if convicted, is a $250,000 fine and (5) years in a federal penitentiary (Do not pass "Go", and proceed directly to Jail).  But the only way they'd ever catch anyone is if there was a Draft.  So it was kind of like a gamble for some people.

This really doesn't change any war posture, and it's not a result of any war posture.  It's just a way to limit legal gymnastics.  Now, if there's a Draft, and you don't show up, all the paperwork is just automatic, but it's not any more or less illegal than it ever was...just a different process.

**Shrug**  I went down to the Post Office on the day of my 18th birthday, and I was proud to do it...40+ years ago.
Actually, I believe that the "every other male person" phrase means that male illegal immigrants are automatically eligible for mandatory military service under the law.

Oh wait... "illegal" is rude now right?

I also note the word "male" seems to belie the new "gender utopia" the social engineers are proffering to the citizens now... as well as the new "females are now eligible for the draft" marketing trope of the 'otherwise' feminist progressives.
(06-24-2024, 01:14 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: So, this has been around for a while in concept.  It basically boils down to this, if you have a Social Security Number, and you are between the age of 18 and 26, you will automatically be registered for the draft.  Prior to this, as the quoted article states, it was the responsibility of the individual to go down to the Post Office and fill out a Selective Service Registration card.  Nothing has really changed, it's just now it happens automatically.  Before, when the individual did it themselves they could (I guess) decide they weren't going to fill out the form and then (I don't know), renounce their citizenship / leave the country (??)  It was still a violation of federal law if you didn't do it.  So, really, the only difference now is, people just don't have the option of violating federal law anymore because the registration is automatic.

Bottom line, not a big difference from the way it was before...unless you intended not to do it which, if convicted, is a $250,000 fine and (5) years in a federal penitentiary (Do not pass "Go", and proceed directly to Jail).  But the only way they'd ever catch anyone is if there was a Draft.  So it was kind of like a gamble for some people.

This really doesn't change any war posture, and it's not a result of any war posture.  It's just a way to limit legal gymnastics.  Now, if there's a Draft, and you don't show up, all the paperwork is just automatic, but it's not any more or less illegal than it ever was...just a different process.

**Shrug**  I went down to the Post Office on the day of my 18th birthday, and I was proud to do it...40+ years ago.

Thanks FCD , so it`s a nothingburger then....

I had China in mind , I believe premier XI is indeed enough crazy to start Taiwan invasion, which would then escalate also to China- US war , so was just thinking if they change legal steps with all that in mind.

(06-24-2024, 01:26 PM)Maxmars Wrote: Actually, I believe that the "every other male person" phrase means that male illegal immigrants are automatically eligible for mandatory military service under the law.

Oh wait... "illegal" is rude now right?

I also note the word "male" seems to belie the new "gender utopia" the social engineers are proffering to the citizens now... as well as the new "females are now eligible for the draft" marketing trope of the 'otherwise' feminist progressives.

There must be several millions illegal immigrants in USA now, just from past few years . What would they think about serving in the army ?
(06-24-2024, 01:37 PM)Kenzo Wrote: Thanks FCD , so it`s a nothingburger then....

I had China in mind , I believe premier XI is indeed enough crazy to start Taiwan invasion, which would then escalate also to China- US war , so was just thinking if they change legal steps with all that in mind.

There must be several millions illegal immigrants in USA now, just from past few years . What would they think about serving in the army ?

Oh, some would love it, seeing a means to demonstrate their heartfelt desire to become US citizens. 

Others would recoil and run, since they came here to take advantage of the national practices of helping its citizens, and not to risk their lives in a conflict they have no part in. 

It's "employment" at any rate... one could do worse than serving in the military.

We'll see.
I registered myself and kept it updated until I was 26. If we enter into a war I can live with killing for, I'd happily join up despite being in my late 30s now. I don't think the average 18 year old nowadays even knows what Selective Service is. None of them register, so this makes sense.
[Image: marx.png]
In the dim past of the sixties you had to register at the draft board--not by mail--and fill out a lengthy questionnaire. Further, the local school district would send a list of graduating seniors to the draft board as a helpful cross-check. Of course, these days you get a social security number at birth in order for your parents to claim you as a deduction, so this "automatic" method is not really a stretch given how automated life has become. You can scoop up more people that way. The same sot of ting happened with jury duty. It used to be the case that juries were chosen from registered voters. Now they are chosen from driver's license records.