deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The draft, immigrants... a question.
I was conversing with my son today about the 'new' media coverage of "automatic draft" legislation.

In case you missed it, you longer have to "register" for the draft.  It will be done algorithmically, from the database of all the information amassed from your simply being here, birth certificates, licensing info, banking info, etc. When you become eligible, you will simply "be recognized" by the system as "eligible."

I suppose this is more of a convenience thing, than a master plan to eliminate low efficiency engagement with the folks down at "selective service."  I further postulate that a means to dispute eligibility must then be proactively sought by the citizen (or not) to declare themselves a 'conscientious objector' or a 'religiously exempt person.'  I would imagine they will set the bureaucracy on that task.

But the amazing thing to me, was the legislation's wording as to make it clear that you need not be "a citizen" to end up 'drafted,' only a resident of the US (and it does specify "males.")

Now, my son and I immediately though of that scenario where hundreds of thousand of those who recently emigrated to the United States, were drafted, because it virtually assures expedient approval for an application for citizenship.  Or would it be an open incentive: "citizenship for service?"  I have misapprehensions about that policy... most of them running deeply.  Down that path could lead madness.  If we start there, I wonder how soon we would creep to other places... and what that would mean.

But the truth is, had I found myself so oppressed by my life, and the main problem was something I could actually flee from, I just might.  So I get that things can suck so badly that "I just jet."  And if I am sincere about living forthrightly, and regret deeply the stress I cause to those unprepared for my arrival... I just might want to take some action to demonstrate my noble intent.  Serving in the military is restricted for citizens... or it used to be (with carefully managed exceptions.)

My question:  Should 'undocumented' immigrants be offered citizenship in exchange for military service?  It seems, that's where this will go.
“My question:  Should 'undocumented' immigrants be offered citizenship in exchange for military service?  It seems, that's where this will go.”

Basically, we are talking about mercenaries. Seems there’d be a conflict of interest there. I never served. However, I know many that have. They survive out there for years on end based on: comradery, self sacrifice, brotherhood, patriotism, and more. All of these qualities encompass the same attributes. Will the mercenaries sacrifice their own life to save Americans, when the time comes in battle? 

This was just one example of many, of why I see absolutely no upside to this.