deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Mandela Effect
The Mandela Effect : fact or fiction?

The Mandela Effect is a phenomenon where various groups of individuals seemingly recall past events, symbols, words, and titles et cetera as documented or transpiring differently than how they are actually recorded in the present day. The title comes from the 'supposed' false memory of many believing that Nelson Mandela died in prison during the 1980s where in fact this is actually contrary to how this information is actually documented in the present day. Nelson Mandela never died in prison, or so 'they' say.

Examples of this phenomenon resonate differently with different individuals, and oddly enough the titled phenomenon is actually an example of one that does not resonate with me as much as some of the others.

And here are a few examples of this phenomenon that actually do resonate with me:

1. Interview With - THE - Vampire. I saw this movie more than once, and I recall the title as being Interview With - A - Vampire.

2. Moonraker. Dolly NEVER had braces in any of the scenes, but I seem to recall a scene with her smiling at Jaws with her 'braces' twinkling in the light.

3. The word dilemma. Many, including myself seem to recall this as being spelled dilemna, and I have no idea why many would have recollection of such an oddly spelled word.

4. Mr. Rogers' theme: it's a wonderful day in THIS neighborhood. I grew up with this and I recall it as it's a wonderful day in THE neighborhood.

These are just a few and the examples are many, and it's kind of reminiscent of other phenomena such as ghosts, UFO sightings, or any other widely documented paranormal phenomena where there may in fact exist truth but often times mixed together with a plethora of lies, mistaken identity, or any other inadvertent or intentional false reports or claims, but it's like they say, it only takes one truth to prove any phenomenon.

It can also be worthy to note that with this Mandela Effect that many of the changes seem to not make nearly as much sense as the recollected original and in some instances maybe even to the point of borderline laughable.
I was hoping to discuss this here but wasnt game enough to start a thread.

Some of mine:

Sally Ride died in challenger explosion, not as it is currently her dying of cancer much later in life.

The fifth housemate in the young ones. They did not exist.

Columbine happened when i was in highschool not 1999 after I left school. We joked about getting trenchcoats.

Koko the gorilla died twice for me, once in march and the other later in the year. The only reason I knew about her was people posting RIP on facebook, some on my friends list posted on both occasions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koko_%28gorilla%29

Ledgendayry race car driver Jackie Stuart died and the TopGear show even had a moments silence for him, years later I see an article where is is critical of Ecclstone and I thought 'yeah even the dead hate Eccleston"

Lindburg Baby, I wont touch that one..

Candyman was 3 times, now its 5

A friends birthday, and therfore star sign changed. It was around the same time as Koko's two diffrent deaths as my friends sister died the day after my friends birthday, BOTH times. I moved house between those times.

I have more, but I'll spare you.
I was not here.
Yeah ... I remember Nelson Mandella dying a few times.   The preacher Billy Graham too.   It's happened to me on a few things.  I think it's a real time mess up thingy.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
There are a few examples of the Mandela Effect that resonate with me.

I’m not going to cite those examples because they have all been cited before.

Instead, I offer a different question…

What are the common traits among those who experience the ME? Why some and not others and what can we learn about the ME based on those who experience it?

Topics like the ME, which a previous poster references as akin to UFOs/ET/etc., need to be explored from the basis of being a real “thing”. Not “pseudoscience” or anything of that ilk.

As an example - people who have observed UFOs or paranormal phenomenon first hand. For those people, myself included, whatever you observed is a real thing. You saw it. No amount of deniers will change your mind and they shouldn’t… because it’s a real thing.

“False memories” do or can happen. Paredolia does or can happen. But, just because some people may experience one of those things doesn’t mean everyone does. They aren’t catch-alls for every memory someone has had or thing they have seen - they are means of discrediting observers.

I fully recall Nelson Mandela dying many years ago. I saw it in school and on the news. I recall this with some clarity. So what happened? Was this a false memory? Probably not - many others recall this and we named the ME what we did for a reason. One person can have a false memory but what’s the probability that many people did over the same topic from all over the world? Pretty low.

So if it isn’t a false memory, people go to the “glitch in the matrix” angle. That’s possible but then why did some of us experience it and others didn’t? What can we glean about the people who did experience the ME? Are these people different in a quantifiable way? Do they have a set of common traits or backgrounds? Were we part of a test? Psyop?

Quantitative analysis of the ME experiencers would probably tell us what we need to know but to my knowledge that hasn’t been done.

I have no “answers” to my question as I don’t enough data. I do think that if studied from the perspective of who ME experiences are we would find at-minimum some ideas to chase that would help us better understand the phenomenon.
Personally, I think the Mandela Effect is just a result of the way people memorise things.

For example, the sentence "Luke, I'm your father" is easier to memorise, as it involves all the data needed, while the original "no, I'm your father", on itself, doesn't make much sense and so it's harder to memorise.

Most of the other things are mostly US-related things with which I am not familiar.
(05-05-2024, 05:04 AM)CCoburn Wrote: The Mandela Effect : fact or fiction?

The Mandela Effect is a phenomenon where various groups of individuals seemingly recall past events, symbols, words, and titles et cetera as documented or transpiring differently than how they are actually recorded in the present day. The title comes from the 'supposed' false memory of many believing that Nelson Mandela died in prison during the 1980s where in fact this is actually contrary to how this information is actually documented in the present day. Nelson Mandela never died in prison, or so 'they' say.

Examples of this phenomenon resonate differently with different individuals, and oddly enough the titled phenomenon is actually an example of one that does not resonate with me as much as some of the others.

And here are a few examples of this phenomenon that actually do resonate with me:

1. Interview With - THE - Vampire. I saw this movie more than once, and I recall the title as being Interview With - A - Vampire.

2. Moonraker. Dolly NEVER had braces in any of the scenes, but I seem to recall a scene with her smiling at Jaws with her 'braces' twinkling in the light.

3. The word dilemma. Many, including myself seem to recall this as being spelled dilemna, and I have no idea why many would have recollection of such an oddly spelled word.

4. Mr. Rogers' theme: it's a wonderful day in THIS neighborhood. I grew up with this and I recall it as it's a wonderful day in THE neighborhood.

These are just a few and the examples are many, and it's kind of reminiscent of other phenomena such as ghosts, UFO sightings, or any other widely documented paranormal phenomena where there may in fact exist truth but often times mixed together with a plethora of lies, mistaken identity, or any other inadvertent or intentional false reports or claims, but it's like they say, it only takes one truth to prove any phenomenon.

It can also be worthy to note that with this Mandela Effect that many of the changes seem to not make nearly as much sense as the recollected original and in some instances maybe even to the point of borderline laughable.

I'll start by addressing your list...

1. I too feel an organic recollection of "Interview with "a" vampire.  The internet however, refutes this EVERYWHERE.  Makes me wonder... 

2. It was a specific recollection of mine... even to commenting at the time that I felt it 'silly' to have been directed that way... I wonder if all that is fabricated memory?

3. I never saw "dilemma" spelled differently, that I can recall.  I would have thought it a typo.

4. It was always firmly ensconced in my mind as "... beautiful day in THE neighborhood.  That memory is entrenched... and almost impossible to imagine as "wrong."

I understand the term "Mandela Effect" was coined due to the associated example of many people identifying with thinking one thing was so, and later discovering it was never so, specifically as in so many recalling multiple instances of his reported death.  

But the commonality I find most compelling is that these are about "reported" and "discussed reporting."   Information that flows between people is the commonality where I think we might find an answer about how this happens....  If you think about it, if it happened with something you personally witness, it could be called hallucinating... or being gaslighted (pardon the paranoid angle.)
(05-05-2024, 09:07 AM)VulcanWerks Wrote: What are the common traits among those who experience the ME? Why some and not others and what can we learn about the ME based on those who experience it?

It could just be something as simple as certain individuals having clearer memories of specific things to the point where some may have even been moderately obsessed with some particular thing prior to it changing.

On the other hand, recollection to fabrication of false memories is also possible e.g. I could have seen an ME video more than a decade ago by a user reproducing a Moonraker segment featuring Dolly and adding/editing in her "braces"(or some sort of twinkling effect to indicate them) the way they believe they remember it, and then some time later it becomes a memory of unknown origin and is inadvertently mistaken for the original. Although contrary to this and as previously stated it actually makes more sense that she had braces since that was a supposed catalyst in forming a common bond between the two at the outset of their relationship where Jaws also had a 'metal mouth'.

And just because the above seems to make for a better script doesn't necessarily mean that the original script writers thought of it or opted out for whatever reason.

I'm not so sure though that false or fabricated memories can invalidate the entire ME phenomenon, and some are pointing their fingers at CERN and the LHC which does seem like a bit of a stretch.

For me personally with some of these supposed ME's it does have a sort of feel to it that someone or some thing is deliberately messing with us by creating these changes that occasionally seem kind of silly in comparison with the originals.

Other ideas include alternate/parallel universes/timelines and a migrating to or merging of these.
False memory.

Can't do the determinism required for a Mandela effect to exist.

Can almost do the "program update in the matrix" version.

But it seems like mass false memory. I swore Addams Family used the more common spelling. I remembered "Adams Family". Jike John Adams. Two Ds doesn't look right. But I don't think that means it's wrong, I just think it exposes my preference for intuitive spellings.

Dilemma I spelled incorrectly for years. This is possibly the craziest one. Once again my preference is to see it, "Dilemna" because it has always been spelled incorrectly by others and I might have learned the wrong version. It's actually hard to find a person that doesn't remember the silent n.

Ever crazier.

One day my phone just began autocorrecting it, and I remember making a note that I spelled it wrong my whole life. I was like 2020 or 2021 when I noticed the autcorrect. Just thought I learned it wrong.

I even remember a pronounciation mnemonic device for rembering to spell dil-em-na. To remember the correct spelling by pronouncing the word wrong.

Is mnemonic still right? Because that word always looks wrong. That's a silent m though.
[Image: xn661c5393.jpg]
Undecided voter
[img]IMG_2687.webp[/img]

Argh, it didn’t work again.
Sorry, I’m really bad at this.
It was supposed to be a photo of some Berenstain/Berenstein stuffed bears with the original tags, showing “ The Berenstain Bears” at the top of the tag, and Bernstein Mama Bear lower down.
I happened to run across it online.

Tecate
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
And the piano, It sounds like a carnivore.

compared to:

And the piano, It sounds like a carnival.

...maybe decades of bad hearing, but still can't get over it. I'm not the only one.