Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text and background issues
I had a problem with thread posting last night, trying to get visible text. I will give as much detail as I can to make it easier to analyse the issue.

One possible important clue is that when I first clicked the "post a thread" button, the editing panel showed up for an instant with a black background, before changing to white.

If I type on this screen in the default black, the thread posts as white text on black background. So far, so good.

But last night I was pasting in from a Word document, something I have done a couple of times before. This too appeared on screen as black text on white. But once the thread was posted, it appeared on screen as black text (or at least grey) on black background. Almost unreadable.

I went into editing again for a few tries at sorting it out. Eventually I worked out how to change the colour of existing text (just a matter of choosing "select all" on my browser first), and changed the text to white. The result was a blank white screen. Acting in faith (naturally) I "updated thread" and this turned into white text on black background. That will do.

The catch is that I can't do any further editing, because the editing panel is still white text on white background. I could experiment with red text, which might work both ways, or change back to black text temporarily for editing purposes, but i don't want to mess things up again.
When I have trouble I copy/paste the text to a simple notepad that doesn’t have text formatting capabilities. 

Then copy the text from there and paste it in Here with the formatting removed. 

if I’m not clear here is an article that explains: Link
If using MSWord you should clear all formatting before you cut and paste so it does not carry formatting, including background formatting, forward, which can cause all sorts of issues in some situations.

What I do is: right click on the word document, then choose copy text only from that menu, that is the easiest way. Or, depending on your program version, choose 'copy' then right click then choose 'paste text only' from the menu.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(03-28-2024, 09:07 AM)quintessentone Wrote: If using MSWord you should clear all formatting before you cut and paste so it does not carry formatting, including background formatting, forward, which can cause all sorts of issues in some situations.

What I do is: right click on the word document, then choose copy text only from that menu, that is the easiest way. Or, depending on your program version, choose 'copy' then right click then choose 'paste text only' from the menu.

Thank you both. I was wondering if some change had occurred, since I'd been possting previous threads by the same method without any problems.
That's it. It's a really intuitive editor and it's copying over the formatting. I will however fix the color issue in source mode.
Some members who uploaded an avatar prior to the restoration day may need to re-upload. Otherwise things should have returned to normal.