deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
San Franciscans gather for the annual lighting
[Image: Screenshot-2023-11-28-04-01-56-292.jpg]
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
lol Ats2490_clowndance

imagine how many more people would go insane without satire
(11-28-2023, 06:43 AM)FurPerson Wrote: lol Ats2490_clowndance

What's  the purpose of it?
(11-28-2023, 06:43 AM)FurPerson Wrote: lol Ats2490_clowndance

Imagine how many go insane with satire Lol

But I've always appreciated good-cutting satire, that was tethered in reality. Babylon Bee is one of those sites that I forget about and then binge-read for a week. The hotter the news and public angst the better, it has a way of pointing out some of the world's hypocrisies. Not to mention sometimes you need to laugh about world events you can't do anything about anyway. 

[Image: Screenshot-2023-11-28-10-01-10-461.jpg]
[Image: Screenshot-2023-11-28-10-07-31-827.jpg]

(11-28-2023, 06:45 AM)music is magic Wrote: What's  the purpose of it?

Not to chime it for Fur Person, but you are questioning the purpose of satire? Humor and the realization that all human issues aren't made to be solved, sometimes the world messes up, and it's more productive for the masses to note the humor of it all and move on, instead of obsessively discussing a topic or incidence over and over and over. 

The world is wired too tight, satire has been curtailed because nobody wants to offend anybody else. But we need the release valve desperately. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satire

Quote:satire
noun
sat·ire ˈsa-ˌtī(-ə)r
Synonyms of satire
: a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn
: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

Did you know?
The Culinary Roots of Satire

Satire came into English at the beginning of the 16th century, and the meaning of the word has not strayed very far from its original sense. The initial uses were primarily applied to poems, and the term now has a broader applicability. Satire has a semantic and etymological overlap with both farce and lampoon. Farce ("a light dramatic composition marked by broadly satirical comedy and improbable plot") came into English as a synonym for forcemeat, meaning "finely chopped and highly seasoned meat or fish that is either served alone or used as a stuffing." Lampoon  ("a harsh satire usually directed against an individual") is thought to come from the French lampons!, meaning "let us guzzle!" And satire is believed to trace back to the Latin satur, meaning "well-fed."
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
I love it when I get pranked by the Bee ................. ;)
I love The Babylon Bee, way better than The Sacramento Bee...

israeli-hostage-posters-now-featuring-pictures-of-wnba-players-so-biden-will-rescue-them

They hit across the board. 

Pretty much the only good real newspaper in California that isn't like all others is the Orange County Register.
[Image: 6qxPamS.jpeg]
(11-28-2023, 07:16 PM)IdeomotorPrisoner Wrote: I love The Babylon Bee, way better than The Sacramento Bee...

israeli-hostage-posters-now-featuring-pictures-of-wnba-players-so-biden-will-rescue-them

They hit across the board. 

Pretty much the only good real newspaper in California that isn't like all others is the Orange County Register.

What is so hilarious, the headlines are eye-catching and funny, but the articles are scathing satire and weirdly more honest and accurate than most MSM

Might need to read 30 minutes of these articles to balance the rest of today's news.
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart