deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Random Thoughts
(05-20-2024, 08:37 PM)l0st Wrote: I've also done extensive traveling in cars, and there is definitely a difference in the quality of the different brands. I've had some of the off-brand tires become out of round with age, or have belts that snap loose inside the tire. No issues with alignments or suspension as I have these checked with every new set. There are also definitely wide variances in the traction. My vehicle has a lot of power and rear wheel drive, and the tread patterns definitely matter, particularly in the snow or rain.

I also never rotate my tires, only balance them when needed. No problems with the tires lasting to the stated warranty mileage. One really only needs to rotate tires on a vehicle with bent suspension. Most cars have been in at least one minor accident. I used to work on older cars and trust me, they've all been hit whether the owner knows it or not. I think the issues arises where a lot of the cheaper cars don't have suspension that's fully adjustable. This can be remedied with a kit in most cases but most tire places would rather sell you more tires, alignments, and rotations.

I was referring to rotating when using used tires and retreads, I rarely rotated the prestige brands unless I just had a wild hair. All of my work vehicles had the hell driven out of them, the last vehicle had 294,000 miles in 5 plus years, all of my last 4 vehicles had about the same mileage. All of my vehicles have been in accidents, so I have no doubt bent frames could be a factor, but improperly inflated tires, misaligned tires and even damage wheels can cause uneven tire wear too. 

As well as the aforementioned not being able to afford regular proper maintenance, along with better driving habits proper breaking, less hauling ass on winding roads all of that effects tire wear, breaks too.
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(05-20-2024, 09:36 AM)putnam6 Wrote: I used to travel extensively for work the first few years I get the best tires I could made sure I rotated them etc.

Then I hit a rough patch and money was tight, and found a local used tire guy. By the time bought a second set in my mind I was saying those lasted for a real long time. I went back and checked and in comparison to my higher-priced dealership prestige brand, I was getting close enough mileage and wear and tear why pay so much more?

Plus he set me up with a plug kit and I got where I could fix most popped tires if I could get to it without even taking the tire off? If you drive for a living and are on a schedule it's invaluable being able to fix it quick and keep going to the next appointment. 

As long as you watch your tires and rotate and balance them when needed. Next, rip off designer engine oils...

I probably average about 75 miles a day on typical backroad conditions with some occasional dirt road driving. The car came with Continentals which are around $200 a piece, and I ran those until the metal threads were becoming exposed on the inner sidewalls, and replaced the two front first with a couple of closeouts that were around $60 a piece.

Lately I just buy used/closeouts at a fraction of the price. I have gotten three flats over the past year and a half though, but this is likely more to do with road conditions than the tires themselves, plus I'm running these low profiles at 235-40-18, but I'm unsure exactly how much of a factor that actually is.

I was adjusting tire pressure a few days ago and I noticed the front right has a small bubble in the outer sidewall which probably does have more to do with tire quality. I have an appt. in a few hours to get that replaced with another closeout at $62.

I was thinking about some sort of "plug kit". The last flat appeared to have a puncture on the inner sidewall and at the time I was even thinking if I could just jam something in there while periodically adding air it might slow the leak enough so I could make it home without calling AAA.

I've since upgraded my AAA plan back to the AAA Plus which covers up to 100 miles of towing where the other was only 5 miles.
(05-21-2024, 06:26 AM)CCoburn Wrote: I probably average about 75 miles a day on typical backroad conditions with some occasional dirt road driving. The car came with Continentals which are around $200 a piece, and I ran those until the metal threads were becoming exposed on the inner sidewalls, and replaced the two front first with a couple of closeouts that were around $60 a piece.

Lately I just buy used/closeouts at a fraction of the price. I have gotten three flats over the past year and a half though, but this is likely more to do with road conditions than the tires themselves, plus I'm running these low profiles at 235-40-18, but I'm unsure exactly how much of a factor that actually is.

I was adjusting tire pressure a few days ago and I noticed the front right has a small bubble in the outer sidewall which probably does have more to do with tire quality. I have an appt. in a few hours to get that replaced with another closeout at $62.

I was thinking about some sort of "plug kit". The last flat appeared to have a puncture on the inner sidewall and at the time I was even thinking if I could just jam something in there while periodically adding air it might slow the leak enough so I could make it home without calling AAA.

I've since upgraded my AAA plan back to the AAA Plus which covers up to 100 miles of towing where the other was only 5 miles.

Yep, I used to have AAA myself, if you drive for a living it's a good thing to have. We used to travel the 9 southeastern states from West Virginia to Florida, Alabama to North Carolina and Virginia,we had city and highway miles. Most of my tire pops just running over a nail or something, but I used to keep 3-4 cans of fix a flat too.
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
Old Meets New

After today's drive and listening to all this new music on the radio for a while now in lieu of the usual USB stick. I'm thinking about taking one of my archaic literary pieces and attaching it to a contemporary musical track and see how that goes.

I know. I'm venturing off course with the Dua Lipa, but the contemporary does help break up the monotony a bit.
Freshly Cut Grass

There are these occurrences that appear so trivial, tenuous, and unfounded that one ought have their head examined to even consider sharing, but the irony here is that however weak and counterintuitive they may initially appear, they do in fact at times culminate and continue as a moderate to intense feeling of emotion that washes over.

And as it turns out I'm talking about freshly cut grass here, but there is something unique and different about its aroma lately. I first noticed it at the house, and then while out for a drive, so apparently nothing location dependent. Perhaps my sense of smell has gone off. I think about the Mandela Effect, but I don't think so.

It's as if something so trivial and tenuous has manifested into something transcendent. It feels like a long-lost memory; a memory that isn't mine - it feels like deja vu.
My random thought today ....

There used to be a TV show on called Vikings.  There was a main character called Lagertha who had a near death experience.  She was asked what the meaning of life was afterward the NDE and she said something like "the meaning of life is to suffer and what you do with that suffering".

I was thinking ... yeah, that's true. 
It's all about suffering. 
It's all about what you do with the suffering.
The 'circle of life' really is a 'circle of death'.
Everything survives because something else died to make 
it possible for that thing to survive.
Even the grass we walk on rely on something else to die
to fertilize the soil so it can live.  

Gloomy ... But that's my random thought today ... the meaning of life.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(06-03-2024, 10:27 AM)CCoburn Wrote: Freshly Cut Grass

There are these occurrences that appear so trivial, tenuous, and unfounded that one ought have their head examined to even consider sharing, but the irony here is that however weak and counterintuitive they may initially appear, they do in fact at times culminate and continue as a moderate to intense feeling of emotion that washes over.

And as it turns out I'm talking about freshly cut grass here, but there is something unique and different about its aroma lately. I first noticed it at the house, and then while out for a drive, so apparently nothing location dependent. Perhaps my sense of smell has gone off. I think about the Mandela Effect, but I don't think so.

It's as if something so trivial and tenuous has manifested into something transcendent. It feels like a long-lost memory; a memory that isn't mine - it feels like deja vu.

I want to thank you.  Your post inspired me to recall a similar observation about something I only knew of experientially until my late wife taught me of a word...

Petrachor...

I always was somehow moved, perhaps even uplifted, when I experienced a certain smell... usually right before, or just as a gentle rain was visiting me.

It was as if the earth itself was calling for the rain, it was a 'dirt' smell, earthy, and remarkably gentle.  I consciously identified it as a child, visiting a jungle-like expanse of rainforest, then later visitng a farm, and then, standing in my own backyard...  The observation repated again and again into my adult life, and now... whenever I sense it, I smile and think of the joy of my wife saying "You know there's a word for that!" and teaching me of "petrachor."  She was a linguist in her heart and soul.  God I miss her.
Condolences Maxmars.  Beer

Random thoughts,
Why when I google chemicals to get rid of yard ant colonies do I only get homemade concoctions? I actually want a big bag of "environmentally unfriendly" finally after 30 yrs.

What the ACTUAL smells that good in my yard??!!
Need to google the type of hedge with little leaves an no thorns white flowers. Pretty happy I was too lazy to wack it yesterday. 

Is it too late to weed'n feed lawn, wonder if the Lilacs will live if I trim them now? Lets find out! The cat hasn't been directed to "hold my beer" for 5-6yrs, that's overdue. (they suck at it)

Still deciding on copper glitter in garage door paint. Tacky? Not Tacky? Using a med type chocolate brown. Still tweedling that idea.  Tongue
It's sad, my ponderings are actually this boring this week. 
For posterity's sake. Raise your hand if you miss the sound of running retreads that are only steel belts? Am I the last one to still scream when car needs rotors? It's reflex.
(06-03-2024, 12:43 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I want to thank you.  Your post inspired me to recall a similar observation about something I only knew of experientially until my late wife taught me of a word...

Petrichor...

Petrichor, I'd say it takes a special kind of person to be aware of such a word. This is the first time I've heard it. It almost feels as though some of these experiences are not even meant to be put into words, although I suppose can with a little effort.

I recall my early days of AOL(from the other thread), and online forums like this one. The vocabulary that some of those users were using was at a whole other level. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time looking up words, and I may have even been using an actual dictionary, remember those?
Edit Windows

This place has a pretty decent edit window. I think that's because we're all adults here and we know not to abuse it. When I was out driving earlier, I was wondering if it also applies to titles as well; I'm about to find out.

Edit: it does, yay!! Sometimes things start to feel a little old and repetitive and we like to change them around a bit.

The Occasional Mini-frog Obstacle Course

Sometimes when I'm out driving around in remote areas and it's raining, I see all these oblivious little frogs playing a metaphorical game of vehicular Russian Roulette. I don't really want to run the little fellas over, so it then becomes a game of Mini-frog Obstacle Course, and I'm pretty good at it.