deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Orbish Light Phenomena
Back a few years ago when I started driving and exploring the backroads of Maine I briefly took up photography as a hobby.

Occasionally I would get digital debris and/or artifacts but more seldom than not, and out of the hundreds of pictures I took there were maybe a handful that were a little more consistent and unusual than the others.

I'm not really sure if this would be considered your typical photographic "debris" or something else, but maybe just weird enough to warrant posting a couple pictures.

Like I said, there's maybe a handful like less than a dozen where there are these "orbs" that were cropping up at around the same time from maybe a couple different locations, and this is what they looked like:

[Image: YaMueY2.jpg?1]

[Image: kNX9oUC.jpg]

And here's one of a few from the same area:

[Image: Ph4IqFY.jpg]

There were a few more from the same location as last that appeared to be hovering right above the road in different places.
Thanks for the pictures, they're great.

I have to say that I think you'll find the artifacts in them are lens flare. Certainly the ones you shared here.

If you take a line from the Sun as the light source directly through the exact centre of each picture it matches the anomoly on the opposite side like a mirror version without the radiant light of the Sun and appearing as a more defined circle.

I love Natural Geometry, it's in everything, everywhere. Perhaps go through some of your other photos with Sun shots and see how many other examples you could find that you may have missed. It may be dependant on the camera and lens so bear that in mind when searching. Have fun.

Thanks for sharing and keep taking pictures.

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
I'm not familiar with "lens flare", but I remember thinking that it might have something to do with the lighting, the Sun, and the time of day.

I do have a couple others that are different than these. I'll try and track those down later. I used GIMP to resize these to 1024X768. The originals were unusually large, and Imgur doesn't seem to want to work for resizing lately.

A while back I switched from photography to using a dashcam and then to Facebook Live(easier than the dashcam). I've had birds fly out of the sky and take my grill out, and deer throwing themselves onto my hood at low speeds, you know, like the insurance scam.
(05-01-2024, 11:36 AM)CCoburn Wrote: The originals were unusually large, and Imgur doesn't seem to want to work for resizing lately.

I know what you mean about Imgur not dealing well with resizing. I struggled the other day too and gave up.

"Lens Flare" is when the lens of a camera give artefacts that spread and also focus light within the physical glass of the lens. It can work great with top movie cameras in hollywood and can produce some wonderful effects.

Might be a bit technical but have a read and you'll perhaps understand better what I was referring to.

Lens Flare

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.