deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More Glitches in the ATS Matrix
First off, I apologize for posting this here if I’m off base. However, I don’t know how else to get the message across.

Ever since the lockout of October, I’ve never been able to get my password straight. The issue is this, I use two devices for the most part, to use ATS. An iPad and an iPhone. Since October, I’ve never been able to get the passwords reset on both devices correctly. I start with the iPad password reset, then do the iPhone — but it won’t take on both. 

I’ve spent hours trying to reset them both correctly on both, to no avail. Due to this, I’ve been running off of temporary passwords for months. Having to do ‘password recovery’s’ every 30 days to maintain access to ATS.

I didn’t want to make a stink because I knew the mods were dealing with too many questions. 

Here is the meat. The password reset just happened again and I’m completely locked out. 

This is what it says when I do password recovery (I’d post a screenshot but it shows my email address):

Message could not be sent.Mailer Error: SMTP connect() failed.

Is the water coming over the rails of the titanic? It seems that most the problems are transpiring on the login side, and have been compounding.

I’d really appreciate any help I can get!
I am afraid to comment.

First off - I have no desire to see ATS crash and burn.  I myself, have a large chunk of content that I consider personally valuable.

Unfortunately, stellar construct that was the ATS enterprise, requires a massive amount of 'correcting.'  I think the magnitude of the effort required is daunting... even to those who call themselves the shepherds of ATS.

What you describe - to my layman's' imagination seems likely a security issue.  Personally, I don't like those.

Perhaps in a moment someone more technically capable can explain what it is, but I fear for the content...  the community will always be welcome here, at least there's that.
(06-04-2024, 07:41 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I am afraid to comment.

First off - I have no desire to see ATS crash and burn.  I myself, have a large chunk of content that I consider personally valuable.

Unfortunately, stellar construct that was the ATS enterprise, requires a massive amount of 'correcting.'  I think the magnitude of the effort Beer Beer required is daunting... even to those who call themselves the Beer Beer shepherdof ATS.

What you describe - to my layman's' imagination seems likely a security issue.  Personally, I don't like those.

Perhaps in a moment someone more technically capable can explain what it is, but I fear for the content...  the community will always be welcome here, at least there's that.

I appreciate the reply, Max.

I know ATS is sinking. I was just hoping to be around for when it does. I’ve learned a tremendous amount in that place. I know DI is taking over in that realm. I’m very appreciative to have a refuge.
(06-04-2024, 07:41 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I am afraid to comment.

Unfortunately, stellar construct that was the ATS enterprise, requires a massive amount of 'correcting.'  I think the magnitude of the effort required is daunting... even to those who call themselves the shepherds of ATS.

"First off - I have no desire to see ATS crash and burn"

I dont either as I have been locked out also since last year. I can log in but cant post or write anything. This, in my opinion could be a FED INTEL takedown as ATS was so close to disclosure on many things among them UFO's and Paranormal.  Then all went kaboomski. ATS was a HIVE. My reference is a book written by Richard Thieme; Mind Games who speaks t the FBI, CIA, NSA, SS, DHS and many others

Please do whatever you can do to protect the ATS archives as they are valuable to the extreme.
Hi KKLoco,

I’ve never seen what you are experiencing happen before and, as far as I know, no other members have reported this same exact problem.

Firstly, your ATS password shouldn’t expire or cancel of its own accord, apart from the wipe out that affected everyone last year.

What does happen is that a particular cookie ATS plants in your browser’s cache does expire, and did so again just recently… yesterday for me. In those cases, I find myself logged off, but it’s simply a case of logging back in from whichever of my multiple Android devices, Windows PC, etc., I’m using at the time.

I’m more inclined to think the problem is with your two devices and, in particular, the synchronization between the iCloud Keychain feature… if you use it.

Question: do you manually type in your ATS password or do you rely on the iCloud Keychain or your browser’s credentials auto-completion feature?

Perhaps, if the Keychain  is not synchronized then when you try to log in with a different device (after resetting the password on the other one), the old password is being applied, thus giving you a failed login. To fix that, there are many resources online that explain how to setup the synchronization… I don’t believe it’s Apple’s default setting when using multiple devices.

I assume you are using Safari on both the phone and tablet. Do you feel like trying something different to see if the situation improves? Perhaps Chrome or Firefox, maybe Edge, too.

Finally, the SMTP error is more a glitch with ATS and could be the result of neglected database maintenance. However, I do remember that certain email providers were problematic with ATS's password rest and mailto function. I can't remember which ones. I believe Gmail was the least problematic.

Unfortunately, I can’t experiment and try to recreate the same problem as I don’t have either of your make/model devices, so I'm fumbling in the dark.

Good luck  Beer
(06-05-2024, 05:45 AM)Encia22 Wrote: Hi KKLoco,

I’ve never seen what you are experiencing happen before and, as far as I know, no other members have reported this same exact problem.

Firstly, your ATS password shouldn’t expire or cancel of its own accord, apart from the wipe out that affected everyone last year.

What does happen is that a particular cookie ATS plants in your browser’s cache does expire, and did so again just recently… yesterday for me. In those cases, I find myself logged off, but it’s simply a case of logging back in from whichever of my multiple Android devices, Windows PC, etc., I’m using at the time.

I’m more inclined to think the problem is with your two devices and, in particular, the synchronization between the iCloud Keychain feature… if you use it.

Question: do you manually type in your ATS password or do you rely on the iCloud Keychain or your browser’s credentials auto-completion feature?

Perhaps, if the Keychain  is not synchronized then when you try to log in with a different device (after resetting the password on the other one), the old password is being applied, thus giving you a failed login. To fix that, there are many resources online that explain how to setup the synchronization… I don’t believe it’s Apple’s default setting when using multiple devices.

I assume you are using Safari on both the phone and tablet. Do you feel like trying something different to see if the situation improves? Perhaps Chrome or Firefox, maybe Edge, too.

Finally, the SMTP error is more a glitch with ATS and could be the result of neglected database maintenance. However, I do remember that certain email providers were problematic with ATS's password rest and mailto function. I can't remember which ones. I believe Gmail was the least problematic.

Unfortunately, I can’t experiment and try to recreate the same problem as I don’t have either of your make/model devices, so I'm fumbling in the dark.

Good luck  Beer

Thanks for the reply. As I said, this has been going on since the lockout in October. I do not have my passwords on iCloud. I manually put them in. The problem this time is, it won’t even send me a password reset. After reading your post, I went and reset the network settings and deleted all cookies and website history on my iPad. That didn’t work either. 

Im wondering if a mod manually sent me a reset to my email, if that might work.

Im completely locked out and banished to watching the white screen. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I HATE THE WHITE SCREEN!!!!
(06-05-2024, 09:26 AM)KKLoco Wrote: Thanks for the reply. As I said, this has been going on since the lockout in October. I do not have my passwords on iCloud. I manually put them in. The problem this time is, it won’t even send me a password reset. After reading your post, I went and reset the network settings on my iPad. That didn’t work either. 

Im completely locked out and banished to watching the white screen. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I HATE THE WHITE SCREEN!!!!

In that case, it could simply be that ATS has problems with your email provider. Have you tried with a gmail account?

The other big problem is that your ATS password expires, which shouldn't happen... I had the same password since signing up in 2016 and it only changed after it was reset by one of the Mods. last year. So, in the end, I'm stumped and need to do more research, but without hands-on experimentation, I don't know how much more advice I can give you.

Sorry  [Image: ats2486_banghead.gif]
(06-05-2024, 09:39 AM)Encia22 Wrote: In that case, it could simply be that ATS has problems with your email provider. Have you tried with a gmail account?

The other big problem is that your ATS password expires, which shouldn't happen... I had the same password since signing up in 2016 and it only changed after it was reset by one of the Mods. last year. So, in the end, I'm stumped and need to do more research, but without hands-on experimentation, I don't know how much more advice I can give you.

Sorry  [Image: https://denyignorance.com/images/ogemoji...nghead.gif]

Yes, I forgot to mention that I am using a gmail email.
(06-05-2024, 09:42 AM)KKLoco Wrote: Yes, I forgot to mention that I am using a gmail email.

OK, so that shouldn't be the issue, then.

All I can suggest is to contact DTOM and see if the password can be reset using the Moderator control panel... perhaps the new email/password will reach you in that way.

[Image: ats2502_sgomods.gif]
(06-05-2024, 10:11 AM)Encia22 Wrote: OK, so that shouldn't be the issue, then.

All I can suggest is to contact DTOM and see if the password can be reset using the Moderator control panel... perhaps the new email/password will reach you in that way.

[Image: https://denyignorance.com/images/ogemoji...gomods.gif]

Thank you. That’s what I was hoping for by starting this thread. I have no way of contacting her on ATS.

ETA, I can still log in on my phone. I sent her a PM. Hopefully she gets it. Not sure why I always get locked out on the iPad first. Then the next day it’s the phone. 

thanks for the help!