deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ittsy-bittsy teeny-weeny dragon
True confession:  I really like cats and reptiles.  Love snakes (they're such escape artists, though) and lizards of all kinds.  I did have a lovely bearded dragon, but he died a few weeks ago, and the gap in my life was just disturbing (kept looking for Tad when I walked by the spot where his tank was, kept thinking that it's great weather to take him outside, etc.)

So... yesterday I got little Cinnamon.

Cinnamon's a hatchling (he'll grow to about 18 inches in length and weigh about half a pound or a bit more).  I estimate that he's no more than two weeks old... so he and his clutch-mates are still very new at living in the world.  I'd have preferred one that was a month old, but the fancy colored ones tend to be the first ones bought and I worry about such a tiny thing falling into the hands of a well meaning but inexperienced owner.   

This is a chill little creature.  He didn't freak out when he was put in the container at PetSmart and he didn't panic when I put him in his new home.  Today he had a nice meal of a bug (just one) and is now sitting in his food dish, contemplating life. 

Because he's so young and hadn't been in the sales cage for long, he apparently hasn't learned to fear human hands.  I'll be getting him used to a leash so I can give him a chance to roam more freely in the sunshine.

Anyway, this is my lil' dragon!  

[Image: 424626314_10228388608592980_693724709331...e=65C0C33B]
(02-01-2024, 05:35 PM)Byrd Wrote: True confession:  I really like cats and reptiles.  Love snakes (they're such escape artists, though) and lizards of all kinds.  I did have a lovely bearded dragon, but he died a few weeks ago, and the gap in my life was just disturbing (kept looking for Tad when I walked by the spot where his tank was, kept thinking that it's great weather to take him outside, etc.)

Cinnamon's a hatchling (he'll grow to about 18 inches in length and weigh about half a pound or a bit more).  I estimate that he's no more than two weeks old... so he and his clutch-mates are still very new at living in the world.  I'd have preferred one that was a month old, but the fancy colored ones tend to be the first ones bought and I worry about such a tiny thing falling into the hands of a well meaning but inexperienced owner.   

This is a chill little creature.  He didn't freak out when he was put in the container at PetSmart and he didn't panic when I put him in his new home.  Today he had a nice meal of a bug (just one) and is now sitting in his food dish, contemplating life. 

Because he's so young and hadn't been in the sales cage for long, he apparently hasn't learned to fear human hands.  I'll be getting him used to a leash so I can give him a chance to roam more freely in the sunshine.

[Image: https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=65C0C33B]

Awww what a cutie. I have never owned a reptile but like you I've always liked snakes and kept the elementary school's garter snake over the Summer as a kid. My son and his partner once had a bearded dragon as a pet too but she died way too early and they were devastated. Keeping a reptile appeared to me to be a difficult to maintain their environment and good health, well any way, from hearing them tell me about what they needed to do. Seemed iffy to get it exactly right.

I wish you and Cinnamon many long days of good walks together.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
Wow! He’s very handsome!!

We have what we call “Ted” or “Teds” , aka Geckos, running around the house in the warmer weather. But nothing like your guapo new buddy!

Enjoy the time you have together, it’s quite a blessing to spend time with our friends!

Tecate
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
Sorry to hear about Tad. Pets are family.

Cinnamon is a beautiful little guy.
"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."
- Benjamin Franklin -

(02-01-2024, 05:35 PM)Byrd Wrote: True confession:  I really like cats and reptiles.  Love snakes (they're such escape artists, though) and lizards of all kinds.  I did have a lovely bearded dragon, but he died a few weeks ago, and the gap in my life was just disturbing (kept looking for Tad when I walked by the spot where his tank was, kept thinking that it's great weather to take him outside, etc.)

[Image: https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=65C0C33B]

Oh my goodness he is so cute Byrd!! I tried to imagine a tiny leash on him that small which made me giggle. How old will he be when you leash him?
(02-03-2024, 04:51 PM)MissBeck Wrote: Oh my goodness he is so cute Byrd!! I tried to imagine a tiny leash on him that small which made me giggle. How old will he be when you leash him?

About another three days.  I'll use some crochet thread for the leash and create a tiny adjustable harness.

The leash is a safety measure for him... I will eventually let him stroll around the living room, and the leash will point to where he's gone wandering.

Interestingly, the cat doesn't chase the leash!

When he gets a little bigger, I have a set of dragon wings for him.  They're really cute but only suitable for about a 3-8 month old dragon.  At a year's age, the dragon will be too big for this harness.
[Image: 2022-New-3-Pcs-Adjustable-Bearded-Dragon...ss-For.jpg]
(02-03-2024, 08:19 PM)Byrd Wrote: About another three days.  I'll use some crochet thread for the leash and create a tiny adjustable harness.

The leash is a safety measure for him... I will eventually let him stroll around the living room, and the leash will point to where he's gone wandering.

Interestingly, the cat doesn't chase the leash!

When he gets a little bigger, I have a set of dragon wings for him.  They're really cute but only suitable for about a 3-8 month old dragon.  At a year's age, the dragon will be too big for this harness.

That is genius!! He really is adorable. I expect to see lots more pictures. Biggrin
Cinnamon is a beauty, Byrd.   People think that lizards are primitive and not very aware, but my experience has been that they are easily as aware and cognative as the birds, and sometimes more so.   Lizards are like mirrors -- they give what they get, and want for nothing more than safety, love/comfort, food, water in that order.   Yes, they are not as complex as the primates.   They are also not as much as a strain on the environment, nor as much as a stress to live with.