deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Barack Obama's dream, now a reality
Are you sure you remember the Regan Era?  I know it is normal to minimize the travails of the past... but I lived them.

While it is also normal for every generation to believe their challenges are the most salient of all time, it is not necessarily so.

We have always had bad actors, tragic circumstances for people, ongoing or impending conflicts, and economic turmoil... and those things occur in a spectrum of urgency.  "We didn't start the fire" as the song goes, the human world has always been burning with strife and despair.

I won't get into 'listing' what is happening today and how it is all a function of yesterday and how we dealt (or didn't deal) with it.  But I can assure you, the past is also a source of wisdom, and a wealth of experience that has value even today.  Biden's today is not so very different from Reagan's yesterday... only the players and their motivations change. 

Our basket of items is large and varied... it was that way in the past also.  But the past is over and done with.  We focus on today while we dream of tomorrow.  But the past shouldn't be rewritten as so "different" as to be irrelevant, that path leads to madness.

Sorry for the OT response... I should be discussing Obama's Biden... and who it is that is actually 'orchestrating' the political theater today.
(06-21-2024, 12:09 AM)Maxmars Wrote: Are you sure you remember the Regan Era?  I know it is normal to minimize the travails of the past... but I lived them.

While it is also normal for every generation to believe their challenges are the most salient of all time, it is not necessarily so.

We have always had bad actors, tragic circumstances for people, ongoing or impending conflicts, and economic turmoil... and those things occur in a spectrum of urgency.  "We didn't start the fire" as the song goes, the human world has always been burning with strife and despair.

I won't get into 'listing' what is happening today and how it is all a function of yesterday and how we dealt (or didn't deal) with it.  But I can assure you, the past is also a source of wisdom, and a wealth of experience that has value even today.  Biden's today is not so very different from Reagan's yesterday... only the players and their motivations change. 

Our basket of items is large and varied... it was that way in the past also.  But the past is over and done with.  We focus on today while we dream of tomorrow.  But the past shouldn't be rewritten as so "different" as to be irrelevant, that path leads to madness.

Sorry for the OT response... I should be discussing Obama's Biden... and who it is that is actually 'orchestrating' the political theater today.

Yeah Maxmars I lived the 80s Im 59 years old, what exactly did I miss? 

Let's see late 80s I just got married. Purchased our first house, $121,999 that house today and it's the same house $329,000. Well thats not a good at all

I finished most of my nights watching Ted Koppel and Nightline I have always been a news junkie. I paid attention

Not sure what movie you are watching or are you just being diplomatic or should I just watch the Billy Joel video?  Sure shit happens in every decade but what happens and the results can be compounded by the decision-makers, the leaders, TPTB. YES or NO?

I know the answer and Im sure with some reflection you will too. But I can't sleep so....

For example, would you rather deal with Putin or Gorbachov, while you are deciding

tell me again when Mikail threatened to use nuclear weapons? 

What measuring stick would you like to use?

We have had a 243% INCREASE in global deaths by armed conflict, and that was just through 2022. 23 and 24 have been violent and bloody as hell. Only one area is down compared to earlier Oceania/Asia

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/death...?tab=table

How about inflation? my 20 bucks bought a whole lot more in 1989 than my 50 bucks goes now. Yes or No

https://www.calculateme.com/inflation/20...989/to-now

$20.00 in 1989 dollars = $50.74 in 2024 dollars.
Prices increased by 154% over that time period, with inflation averaging 2.70% per year 

Consumer confidence was still higher in the late 80s than compared to today

[Image: ?type=area&period=max&lang=en]

Crime and Justice are difficult to calculate and find up-to-date totals but do you feel more safe than you did in the 80s. I don't 

https://www.britannica.com/story/timeline-of-the-1980s

even a quick perusal of the historical late 80s timeline highlights the Challenger Disaster and Chernobyl, Lockerbie, the Exxon Valdez, and Tiananmen Square none of these events were as long-lasting as the war in Ukraine or even the Israel conflict.

You are aware the collapse of the Berlin Wall would likely be considered a huge positive side of the ledger, as a symbol of peace in our time. Now does Europe feel more or less peaceful in 2024

https://www.britannica.com/topic/2023-Th...-in-Review

2023 starts with

Doomsday Clock advances
(January 24, 2023)
The Doomsday Clock is moved ahead, indicating an unprecedented level of world troubles. The time is now 90 seconds to midnight.

Mass shootings at an all time high
Maui wild fires
India's population balloons 
and speaking of balloons what kind of response would the 1989 American government have to the China spy balloon flap compared to the current admin. 

[Image: 68747470733a2f2f6173736574732e7765666f72...732e504e47]

Interestingly enough we are looking at 2nd term for Biden in 2024 and in 1988 he couldn't even beat Dukakis.

Pew Research
Biden, Trump are least-liked pair of major party presidential candidates in at least 3 decades

Thursday, June 13, 2024 (7 days ago)
A quarter of Americans hold unfavorable views of both major party candidates – President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/07/...m-now.html
Quote:The summer treated Joe Biden well. He wasn’t quite the center of attention, but bouncing among D.C., Delaware, and whatever states would have him, he was making progress with weary Americans. The year was 1987, and Biden — 44 years old but already in his third term in the Senate — was running for president for the first time. He’d briefly considered running twice before, but now, pitching himself as a pragmatic but energetic new leader with Ronald Reagan soon to be a retiree, he had a shot.
It was never a clear shot, though, and it famously didn’t last long. Derailed by his own misdeed of plagiarizing a British politician’s speech, Biden dropped out of the race that September, furious at both his opponents and the media and eager to pivot back to his work in the Senate, including running hearings for Reagan Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork. Biden’s exit from the race was yet another convulsion in an already chaotic campaign

and we aren't even through with 2024, very little seems the same or equal, in my zip code atleast. 

here's the outlook from Biden's own Director of National Intelligence it wasn't exactly glowing report and it's from 2 years ago

https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents...s_2040.pdf

Lastly please somebody tell what our esteemed President is doing here

https://x.com/InsaneRealitys/status/1801612713321206198

and isn't it just a bit concerning when Putin and Kim Jong Un are laughing and cruising? 

https://x.com/kirawontmiss/status/1803869859325055130
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(06-19-2024, 07:10 PM)Maxmars Wrote: Politicians are just "for the show."  There are a special class of thespian.

Here's Frank's opinion lol.

[Image: jc5fa95898.jpg]

Don't know about Barack but looks like Bill was whispering in Joe's ear when it came to the hilariously titled 'Inflation Reduction Act'.

Quote:• "My dialogue with Joe has been going on for quite a while".

Bill Gates.

ZeroHedge article:

Joe Biden's Inflation Reduction Act "Secretly" Brought To You By Bill Gates

The Democrats' "Inflation Reduction Act" - which according to the Congressional Budget Office will raise taxes on the middle class to the tune of $20 billion - not to mention unleash an army of IRS agents on working class Americans over the next decade, was made possible by Bill Gates and (in smaller part) Larry Summers, who have been known to hang out together.

Joe Biden's Inflation Reduction Act "Secretly" Brought To You By Bill Gates

Why on Earth is a private citizen from Seattle seemingly dictating government policy?

Beer
(06-20-2024, 07:25 PM)Byrd Wrote: I think we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree.

I worked with Alzheimers and dementia patients for awhile in my early work life, and do see a difference between normal aging and rapidly declining cognition.  The presidency is a stressful job, and it does take a terrible toll on anyone in office.  But when I compare Biden to Reagan (who was showing signs of his Alzheimers in office and who was being "helped" by others), I see a clear difference.

And yes, at least some footage was misrepresented or altered (the one where he turns and appears to walk away; a wider view shows that he turned to talk briefly to a skydiver.)

But... as I said, we both have our views and our experiences.  I respectfully disagree with  your conclusions.

I'm not sure I understand your response.  What do you disagree with?  It seems to me you are agreeing with me more than disagreeing.

Do you disagree that Biden's mental capacity appears seriously diminished from that of a fully functioning person (let alone a World leader)?  Do you disagree that his motor skills and appearance are that of a significantly aged person who is not fully aware of their surroundings and who is unable to function normally without significant assistance from others? 

Do you disagree that people in Biden's immediate circle are covering for his handicaps with the specific intent of making these handicaps appear less debilitating, both physically and mentally?

For clarity; there is nothing wrong with getting old, and I am not suggesting anything of the sort.  I have nothing against the elderly.  I am just trying to point out that when elderly persons begin to suffer notable psychological and physiological handicaps there are things they should be restricted from being allowed to do...and serving as Commander in Chief of the most powerful nation in the free World is one of these things.  Do you disagree with this notion?

All due respect, but I am unclear as to what part of this you disagree with.

edit - Regarding Reagan, I would absolutely agree that toward the end of his 2nd term there were people who were covering for his lack of mental stability.  You will get no argument from me.  I would also agree, shielding these mental disabilities, in the general sense, was not in the people's best interest.  However, in the case of Reagan he was very near the end of his final term with no possibility of being re-elected.  There was equally no national crisis taking place during this final chapter of his presidency.  It would have been more disruptive than good to remove him from office at this point (and doubtful it would have even been possible with the little remaining time).  The same could be said for Biden in his current term.  However, there is a stark and disturbing difference with Biden; Biden very much is seeking a follow on term, another four years.  Given his rapid decline in just the past year it seems clear to me he will not be competent to serve even in the first year of his 2nd term let alone the final 3 years following that.  Think about this for a moment.  Can you honestly disagree that Biden does not appear to be competent to serve as President of the United States of America for four more years?

I've used the following question elsewhere to illustrate my point.  Would you trust Joe Biden to drive your children or grandchildren in a car through a busy city?  If the answer to this question is "No" (which it is for me), then how can anyone possibly be endorsing this man for a leadership role as president for another four years?  It's not that Joe Biden has a physical handicap which prevents him from driving a car; it's that Biden's mental capacity is diminished to the point where driving a car would be reckless, much the same as 'driving' a nation.  I am not advocating strongly for removing Biden from office today, it likely wouldn't be possible before January anyway.  The only thing removal 'might' do today is prevent him from seeking office in the future (which would be a responsible thing to do).  What I am advocating is for people (all people, blue and red) to re-evaluate their support of Joe Biden for another 4 year term as president in 2025.
(06-21-2024, 04:09 AM)Karl12 Wrote: Here's Frank's opinion lol.

[Image: https://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/i...a95898.jpg]

Don't know about Barack but looks like Bill was whispering in Joe's ear when it came to the hilariously titled 'Inflation Reduction Act'.

Why on Earth is a private citizen from Seattle seemingly dictating government policy?

Beer

Hmmm Im aware of the MIC influence but Im still not sure how much they have on all aspects. Ive been big on it's effects since I first heard the Eisenhower fireside chat. Eisenhower in my estimation was the last uncompromised President till maybe Carter and even he couldn't navigate DC's back channel dealings. 

Still I like to imagine there is some separation between the executive and legislative branches and the military which has more and more influence, just not certain it's a complete influence yet.
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(06-21-2024, 11:23 AM)putnam6 Wrote: Hmmm Im aware of the MIC influence but Im still not sure how much they have on all aspects. Ive been big on it's effects since I first heard the Eisenhower fireside chat. Eisenhower in my estimation was the last uncompromised President till maybe Carter and even he couldn't navigate DC's back channel dealings. 

Yes it's a difficult one mate and suppose it's what you define as the MIC - to my mind it's the folks with 51% controlling interest in all U.S. arms manufacturers (and most other things) so it may be unfair to legitimately term them 'military' as they are more of a private banker group motivated by absolute self interest.

That Eisenhower warning was a pretty powerful one and when it comes to Carter would be interested in your take on the vid below where Patrick Wood explains how the T.C. 'captured the United States Executive branch' and 'got their hands on the economic machinery of the world'.

From 34:00

Video

Quote:• "That was an incredible feat, but it wasn’t a political coup in my mind. And they said that back in those days “Oh, no, we’re not interested in politics.” Well, I really don’t think they were. They wanted to get their hands on the economic machinery of the world, and they did that by capturing the United States Executive branch. They didn’t care about Congress, they didn’t care about the judiciary. They only cared about the engine of economic prosperity, if you will, and that was our government."

TC Researcher Patrick Wood

Beer
(06-21-2024, 04:40 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: I'm not sure I understand your response.  What do you disagree with?  It seems to me you are agreeing with me more than disagreeing.

Do you disagree that Biden's mental capacity appears seriously diminished from that of a fully functioning person (let alone a World leader)? 
Yes, I disagree.  Not seriously diminished.

(06-21-2024, 04:40 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Do you disagree that people in Biden's immediate circle are covering for his handicaps with the specific intent of making these handicaps appear less debilitating, both physically and mentally?

Yes... or at least not in any way unusual for a world leader.  We all do stupid stuff like trip over invisible cats, forget names and dates, misspeak names (or forget faces), etc.  I expect that any leader has a PR team covering for them.  

Heck, if I could get a PR team that covered my foofs and gaffes throughout the years, I would sign up for that, muy pronto.

(06-21-2024, 04:40 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Do you disagree that his motor skills and appearance are that of a significantly aged person who is not fully aware of their surroundings and who is unable to function normally without significant assistance from others? 

I do disagree.

And for the record, I'm about 2 years younger than Trump and I'm dealing with a husband who has Parkinson's, so I have a very very very good idea of what "not able to function" and "not fully aware of their surroundings" looks like.

The metric is not "belongs to a different political party."
Quote:I am just trying to point out that when elderly persons begin to suffer notable psychological and physiological handicaps there are things they should be restricted from being allowed to do...and serving as Commander in Chief of the most powerful nation in the free World is one of these things.  Do you disagree with this notion?

I agree... and by that metric, Trump shouldn't get into office.  ANY office.

Quote:I've used the following question elsewhere to illustrate my point.  Would you trust Joe Biden to drive your children or grandchildren in a car through a busy city? 

Would it be appropriate for me to point out that Biden has a valid drivers' license and has been seen driving cars?  Heck, he can even drive a standard.  I'm not sure that Trump has a drivers' license (point of order here -- it is NOT unusual for New Yorkers to NOT have drivers' licenses... the traffic is horrible and most take public transport or use drivers), and frankly I would NOT trust him anywhere NEAR my 19 year old granddaughter!

More importantly, Biden speaks in complete sentences and sentences that are on topic.  He has enough of an attention span that he attends briefings and takes notes on them (unlike Trump.)  No industry executives have ever slammed him as "meandering" (unlike Trump https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/14/ceos-at-...essed.html)

Most of all, Biden knows how to pick administrators who do NOT get convicted for crimes. (https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/21/politics/...index.html)  I prefer my presidents to be able to pick people who are better than that.
(06-27-2024, 05:34 PM)Byrd Wrote: Yes, I disagree.  Not seriously diminished.

Yes... or at least not in any way unusual for a world leader.  We all do stupid stuff like trip over invisible cats, forget names and dates, misspeak names (or forget faces), etc.  I expect that any leader has a PR team covering for them.  

Heck, if I could get a PR team that covered my foofs and gaffes throughout the years, I would sign up for that, muy pronto.

I do disagree.

And for the record, I'm about 2 years younger than Trump and I'm dealing with a husband who has Parkinson's, so I have a very very very good idea of what "not able to function" and "not fully aware of their surroundings" looks like.

The metric is not "belongs to a different political party."

I agree... and by that metric, Trump shouldn't get into office.  ANY office.

Would it be appropriate for me to point out that Biden has a valid drivers' license and has been seen driving cars?  Heck, he can even drive a standard.  I'm not sure that Trump has a drivers' license (point of order here -- it is NOT unusual for New Yorkers to NOT have drivers' licenses... the traffic is horrible and most take public transport or use drivers), and frankly I would NOT trust him anywhere NEAR my 19 year old granddaughter!

More importantly, Biden speaks in complete sentences and sentences that are on topic.  He has enough of an attention span that he attends briefings and takes notes on them (unlike Trump.)  No industry executives have ever slammed him as "meandering" (unlike Trump https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/14/ceos-at-...essed.html)

Most of all, Biden knows how to pick administrators who do NOT get convicted for crimes. (https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/21/politics/...index.html)  I prefer my presidents to be able to pick people who are better than that.

Fair enough.  We agree to disagree.

I have no issue with that.
(06-27-2024, 06:01 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Fair enough.  We agree to disagree.

I have no issue with that.

Yup.

As I said... :)
(06-27-2024, 06:22 PM)Byrd Wrote: Yup.

As I said... :)

[Video: https://youtu.be/3SJr44m-w1Y?si=Xl1z_DWG9CwBdopJ]
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart